coughing/gagging
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coughing/gagging

Peja43916 is offline Village Mayor

Default coughing/gagging

Milo sometimes does something that seems to be either gagging or coughing. It could also be described as choking like he is clearing his throat or something. I took him to the vet the other day and she said that is normal for pugs. Is this true? Sometimes it seems like he is clearing his throat or something. He does not do it alot but sometimes he does and it doesn't sound too good. Should I get a second opinion? Healthwise he is fine. Thanks in advance for all advice.

This morning he threw up a little bit (only a few drops) when he did this. This can't be normal.

HomerNMarge is offline Village Royalty

Marge has done that a couple times... She breaks her food up into pretty tiny peices when she eats it... but she likes to practically inhale her food, and she ate too fast and a peice went down her throat fast, and she gagged on it... and hacked it up with a little bit of vomit.. but she's only done it a couple times.
    Cindy
    owned by:

Proud Wife of a United States Marine!

"Enjoy the flavor of life, Take big bites!"

Maria is offline Village Governor

Luciano does this. It's almost like a cat with a furball caught in its throat. Having said this, I don't know how "normal" it is. I just know that he's done it since he's a little one. When I've mentioned it to the vet, they've said it's normal. One thing, though: he has NEVER spit up blood or anything food like from these events. I would definitely consult a vet if your pug is doing this.

Maria
    Maria and Luciano

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Snifter does this also. I have mentioned it to the vet. As he was also wheezing a bit and had a slightly raised temperature he was put on antibiotics for a week. Temperature now normal, wheezing less, gagging continues. Vet said it is because the soft palate in pugs can sometimes interfere with the operation of the epiglottis.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Eliettesmom is offline Village Royal Pug Lip Kissin Mama

Sounds like a reverse sneeze, Its common in Pugs and although sounds very scary if you can make him/her open their mouth and breathe that way it usually helps.
    http://www.pugvillage.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&pmid=98102 The Royal Pugs. Ellie Chance & Earl

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.You are his
    life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
    last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion ~Unknown

Kiss Your Pugs on the Lips for me!!

Ellie on Dogster

Chance on Dogster

crazypugmom is offline Village Admiral

Is the noise coming from his nose or throat. The reverse sneezing is when the pugs keep snorting air through their noses. The possible couging/gagging noise is more of a trying to get something out of the throat. I think it is somewhat normal for a pug to do that once in a while, but it can also meet there is an infection. Pugsly suffers from chronic bronchitis, and when he is getting another infection, she will start the coughing then gagging. If he does it enough, he does spit up sometimes.
    Leslye, Chyna, Tinker, Ruffy and husband Tim &
    our angels Pugsly and Taz waiting for us in heaven

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption

www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

http://www.dogster.com/family/766626

olivia is offline Village VP

Olivia has been doing this lately and I was worried that it was kennel cough, although I don't know how she would have gotten it. I also had the vet give her Bordatella last week to prevent kennel cough but has started this coughing/gagging thing since then. I'm going to watch it throughout the day and if it continues we are going to the vet tomorrow. Its like a 5 or 6 second cough followed by a gag and then a whole lot of licking her chops. She has done it twice.

What is a kennel cough? What does it sound like? I also was noticing that while he was breathing, during this time, I could hear a sound that seemed to come from his lung or something like it was hard for him to breathe. Now he seems to be fine. Could it be something that only happens in ES UP?morning when he waK

Lemon is offline Village Admiral

Lemon does two things: The reverse sneeze, which is hard to mistake for anything else. She looks scared, her back arches, her tail goes down, and she makes a honking noise. She does this more in the summer, presumably because of allergies.

The other thing is when she seems to have a hairball. She'll gack like she's trying to get it out. When she had kennel cough, she was doing this *constantly.* It was awful.

If your guy is doing either one a lot, it could be a sign of something else, like an elongated soft palate or kennel cough. But if it's just every once in a while, chances are it's just part of being a pug.
    Kathleen (and Lemon, too!)

©Amanda Jones Photography

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast