Is deafness normal in the aging pug process?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is deafness normal in the aging pug process?

Pugsleigh is offline Village Admiral

Default Is deafness normal in the aging pug process?

I know that Mitzie has become stone deaf over the last 6 months.
    There was a time that it was selective hearing, but that time has
    passed. I feel sad that she no longer hears my voice to tell her
    what a good pug dog she is. I am grateful that i always did hand
    signals while I tried to get her to do things. They are nothing formal,
    just finger motions when I wanted her attention.

It is a great idea for people with older pugs to start this before any
    hearing diminishes. I am sure that a lot of senior pugs will never lose
    their hearing, but just incase.

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

All my older pugs seemed to have had some hearing loss - God knows why. Or maybe I'm just so boring they can't be bothered acknowledging my existence.........
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

OtisPug is offline Village Admiral

I think Otis has selective hearing loss. There are times that I can be at his side calling his name and it's like he does not hear me. I get so sad.
    Then there are times that I will whisper to hubby that I am going to Grandma's (my mom) house, for whatever reason, and ALL OF A SUDDEN there is Otis, standing at the front door, putting on his own car harness.
    The hand signals idea is a good thing to think about and do!
    What OtisPug wants, OtisPug gets! But he didn't want Ernest T.
    Nancy-Lumberjack Hockey Mom Pug Mom,

bugs is offline Village VP

When we did obedience classes they taught us to use hand signals so when the dog is to far away to hear they would know what we wanted. So now we usually only use hand signals on our dogs I don't know why though. I know thumbs up is sit and pointing down is lay down. Pointing two fingers at them and drawing them to my face means look. I always thought if they are to far away to hear us then they would probably be too far away too see too but, I guess its a good thing now after reading this that we did teach our dogs hand signals
    Colleen Carter
    Jill, Buck, & Gabby
    "Folks will know how large your soul is by how you treat a dog." - C. Doran

ViralMD is offline None

Deafness is normal in all mammals as they age (people too). It starts with high frequency sounds (and sounds like 's' and 't'). Yes, it's part of getting old. Sorry, but those little hair cells in the cochlea are VERY sensitive. Those sensitive to high frequencies go first! Another good reason to TURN DOWN THE iPODS.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

Cookie is offline Village Admiral

I used to think Mandy had selective hearing loss, too. Nowadays she is pretty much stone deaf, too. She always had a problem with yeast infections when she was younger, so I think that has something to do with it too.

Debbie, I use hand signals too, and she "gets it", most of the time. Although, she still gives me the "who, me??" look a lot of the time if she decides she doesn't want to come.

I do think that they can still see your facial expressions, and body language. Mandy sure seems to know when I'm telling her what a good girl she is, and how much I love her.
    ~C~

Mandy
    7/10/92-6/27/09

M'Dear Pug is offline Administrator Emerita

Rosebud was 13 in January and I know she and Cookie's Mandy are very close in age. Rosebud has also battled ear problems all her life.

Rosebud started losing her hearing about three years ago. She would lose it for 2-3 months, then it would come back for awhile. That cycle continued until maybe a year ago when I realized she couldn't hear anything and her hearing hasn't returned this time.

Rosebud actually seems to do fine, I do try to be careful not to startle her when she's sleeping or approach her too quickly, she seems to need more time to process what's going on around her.

The biggest problem we're having is Rosebud has become the loudest barking dog in Shreveport!! When she wants or needs attention, she barks incessantly and so loud it almost hurts my ears.

Actually, I was just thinking yesterday that I feel closer to Rosebud than I ever have before. It is so sad to see time taking its toll on a pug who has always had the energy and determination of a mini-locomotive. "Bud" has never been a huggie, cuddly kind of a pug but her devotion to Paul and me has always been so obvious.

Some days I feel so down about Rosebud and Gumdrop both. Gummy has always seemed very fragile but she is aging so quickly and I worry about the hot summer weather I know is fast approaching. They'll both have to be constantly monitored when they go outdoors, the same heat and humidity that are hard on a young pug are almost unbearable to a geriatric pug.

Ann
    http://img.mypicgallery.com/Extra/redleash_large.jpg
    Those we have held in our arms for a little while,
    we hold in our hearts forever.

Pugsleigh is offline Village Admiral

Aging is rough to observe with our family pets and
    our aging parents.
    What wonderful comments that everyone made.
    I guess that is why so many of us love the senior
    pugs on this forum.

Thanks for some "real" hand signals, Colleen,
    I will put them to the test.

Cookie is offline Village Admiral

Ann, I think Mandy and Bud must be soul twins. Mandy has never been a cuddly sort, either. And her timeline as far as losing her hearing has been parallel to Rosebud's. I try not to startle her when she's asleep, either, she jumps so hard!

Debbie: I do feel sad when I look at my girl and she's so grey now compared with when she was young. And she moves so slowly now, and the hearing thing. But we do love her, I just think the seniors are so special.

We have to cherish them while they are here, I guess.
    ~C~

Mandy
    7/10/92-6/27/09

hkpugs is offline Village Royalty

Percy and Domino are both deaf the only difference is that I used hand signals on Percy when he showed signs of losing his hearing as you did. Domino came to us deaf so she's not real sure of what Percy and I are talking about! Both DoeDoe and Percy get their points across and loudly, they're always the first ones to ask for breakfast and dinner!

Kathy

Proud Mom to Bugs, Bear, Smokey Joe, Miss B, Frankie, Carmen, Sydney, Billy and Humphrey
    Forever in our hearts: Sweet Bailey, the grumpy old man Percy, Domino our dear Dodo Bird, and Prince our beautiful cat

SUPPORT PUG RESCUE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast