How far is too far?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How far is too far?

Freddy'sMom is offline Village Heartland Honey

Default How far is too far?

The "walking" thread has me wondering: How far is too far to walk your pug? If the temp is between 35 and 55 degress and the pug is young and healthy? I live in the country and don't have blocks, measure in 1/4 mile and on up.
    Christy

Momma to Freddy Jones (pug), Toby (rescue pug), Homer (lab) and 9 yr old hairless pug!

Sweet Norm and Junior (non-pugs) waiting for us at the Bridge. I miss you both so much.

GingerSnap is offline Village Smart Cookie

I think it's just like with people-- it varies. Jackson's longest was about a 4 mile hike thru the woods. Come to think of it, though, he did way more than the 4 miles I did, because he and my brother's dog were off leash and did a lot running ahead and back again and a couple of loop-arounds! That was a beautiful day after Thanksgiving-- about 60 degrees and sunny and clear.

They can't tell you they're tired, but you can watch to see when they're tired. Breathing heavy? Slowing down? I'm sure that just like with people, they may get out of shape, but if you increase gradually, their fitness levels return. The only time I would think it would be bad to do so would be if you have a dog with arthritis or other orthopedic problems. And obviously we do need to watch for overheating.
    Ginger
    Mom to Jackson (fawn pug, age 7) and Sammy (black brindle pug/French bulldog, age 9ish or so)

Pugdawg1 is offline Village Baker

I watch my guys very closely on our walks. If they look at all tired or anything even remotely similar, we turn around. I can always tell when they are starting to loose that spring in their step. I prefer to time it before that happens.. after all, we have to walk back, too.

Although these days, the little heathens can do their 2, 2 1/2 miles, come home, and literally run laps around the house, playing, as if there had been no walk at all. While I'm sitting there, recuperating.
    Marnie & Winston
    Always and forever missing her Oscar.

Two Crazy Pugs is offline Village Royalty

I too think it depends on the dog. Gidget can walk for miles with me, but BJ is through after a mile. The longest BJ has done is 2 miles and he was trying to lay down towards the end
    Cindi-

Pug Momma to two crazy pugs...BJ and Gidget
    Mommy to Peyton Grace and Brinley Anne!!!!!

Cathy and Winston is offline Village VP

I haven't measured it, but I think Winston and I go about 1 1/2 miles in 30 minutes.
    Cathy
    Slave to Edgar Allen Pug
    Forever missing Winston 1-18-2005 to 5-16-2011
    Syringomyelia Sucks
    Always in my heart

HomerNMarge is offline Village Royalty

The farthest I've walked with the pugs is 2.5 miles... my inlaws took Homer when he was 4-5 months when we were on vaction to some park place and they walked 5 miles with him and a st. bernard.. and they said he did great! I think it all depends on the pug
    Cindy
    owned by:

Proud Wife of a United States Marine!

"Enjoy the flavor of life, Take big bites!"

+ Reply to Thread