What is and how exactly do you dremel?Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie
This is a dremel. Best thing ever for doing dogs nails! When we moved I had miss placed ours and just found it after 2 months of not knowing where it was I was going insane.
Colleen CarterJill, Buck, & Gabby"Folks will know how large your soul is by how you treat a dog." - C. Doran
Dremel: Think low-power power drill, but with a round emery-board-type attachment. My groomer says to only use the battery-powered/rechargeable kind, as pictured by Colleen. Groomer says the plug-in kind has too much power and can potentially damage nail beds. Dremels are also used by trim carpenters, furniture refinishers and the like, so try a craft store!
About home grooming vs. groomers: I personally wouldn't pay for it, except for the whole nail thing. My vet offered great advice: Start very young and do 2 nails a day, every day, taking off just a tiny bit each time. Give lots of truly high-quality/high-value treats each day and soon they won't dread it. Was great in theory, but in reality, Jackson freaked out, I freaked out, and no one was happy. I have a local groomer who will clip his nails for $5 and it's worth 3 times that to save Jax and me the heartache of it all.
Then I discovered the vet's groomer with the Dremel. I thought he'd completely freak at the sound and feel of it, but I was dead wrong! It's $10 vs $5, but he doesn't freak out! It's still a 2-man job, but far better. If I've got the time, I (or more often Mike) bathe Jackson in the kitchen sink with the sprayer attachment. If not, I pay to have him done. He does seem fluffier when they dry him vs. my home air dry process, though. (I can't even take the time to blow dry my own hair, much less my dog's!)
Mom to Jackson (fawn pug, age 7) and Sammy (black brindle pug/French bulldog, age 9ish or so)
It takes a lot of time to get them used to the dremel. The noise and vibration on the nail scares them. If you go very slow, you can eventually get all the nails done in no time. The heat the drum generates can hurt if you grind too hard, so you need to tap the nail as you grind. (yes, I tried this on my own toenails & it did burn ). This is one more disgraceful thing to do to a pug that only cheese or chicken will cure. And yes, you need to get the rechargeable one-it's cheaper and you don't need all that extra power that will only generate more heat.
Linda-Mum to Bella (born 02/28/04) since 8 weeks
Tucker (born 09/10/2003) since 02/28/05
My sweet rescue, Molly Mae since 11/11/05
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous
Never to early to begin a good care routine.
I do all of my own grooming care except for Milos nails (he is horrible with anyone touching his nails and has been since he was tiny. Doing so against his will can result in human bloodshed that is never forgotton).
Other than that ,I don't see paying for things I can do myself, and besides it gives me that extra little bit of one on one time with each of my precious boys and to see them running down the hall all happy, hyper, fresh & clean is priceless. I couldn't get that from a groomer.
Sarah~*Milo ,Drago, *^Remi^*, *^Loli Pom^* & Mickeys Mom*~Milo, Drago(Cheeky Black Boy), *^Remington*^,Mickey &Cheetah The Kitty**When life gives you lemons,squirt juice in your enemy's eyes -Jim Benton **