Pugs Weight
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pugs Weight

kstover is offline New to the Village

Default Pugs Weight

My pug weighs 31.6 pounds. He is a big pug and probably should be at about 28 pounds. I have him on Nutro Ultra Weight Management after trying a few different foods. He really likes this so I thought I would try and stick with it. He gets 1.2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup at night with either some veggies or a tablespoon of the canned weight management. His treats are also Nutro Ultra weight management and I break them up into little tiny peices. Anyone have any experience with this food or recommendations for better hig quality diet food without having to do the prescription diet? I would rather have easier access to the food and I also want to make sure he will like it... Thanks!

ViralMD is offline None

That is a HUGE amount of food! Look at the guide on the package - for a 28 pound dog (and that's assuming he should be 28 pounds) THEY recommend about 2.4 cups/day if you do the arithmetic. Remember, however, that the recommendations on the bag almost ALWAYS over estimate the amount of food needed. If I fed Cyril what was recommended on the bag, he'd be the size of Texas.

You might want to call the company about the calorie counts if it's not on the bag. Dogs need about 30 calories/pound to maintain their weight. Once you get the calorie content, you can figure out how much your dog needs to maintain his weight and then use 75% of that for him to lose weight.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

Co-Pilot in Flight is offline Village High Flying Sweetheart

Yeah, I second what Viralmd said, it does sound like a lot of food, but get the calorie count.

Besides that look at the ingredients. If you are trying to have your dog lose weight: increase exercise (like for humans) and look at the contect of the food as well. Perhaps he would do better on somthing like Innova Evo, which is high protein, low carb. Talk to your vet, if you put an animal of a food (even a weight loss or weight management food) and it is not working you MUST try something else.

I didn't realize this with a cat I had, I figured I was feeding him light food what else could I do? When my kitty ended up with diabetes and I had to give him injections you are sure I researched foods and got his weight down. just telling you my story to inspire you to gt a solution now rather then when you are dealing with hip, knee and other potentioal problems.

Good luck!

Sara
    Mom to Co-Pilot my pug girl and Carter our little boy!

Co-Pilot on Dogster

www.dogster.com/dogs/324829 301.9

Pugdawg1 is offline Village Baker

In Oscar's case, I opted to not bother with a weight management food.. we simply cut back on food, and upped the exercise. Oscar went from 32 pounds to 24 pounds. He's doing very well. Total kibble for the day is 2/3 of a cup.
    Marnie & Winston
    Always and forever missing her Oscar.

Lemon is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by kstover
    He gets 1.2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup at night
    I'm wondering if that's a typo, and it's actually 1/2 cup at both times? If so, you could cut down to 1/3 cup at both meals and see how that goes.
    Kathleen (and Lemon, too!)

©Amanda Jones Photography

Pugdawg1 is offline Village Baker

I assumed it was a typo. If it isn't, that would be a huge amount.
    Marnie & Winston
    Always and forever missing her Oscar.

Sweetie Pie is offline Village VP

My boy, Tucker is sedentary and could gain weight very easily. He gets 1/3 cup twice a day with a tiny bit of water and a tiny bit of Pedigree canned. Sometimes, I add yogurt to the kibble. His snacks are usually very controlled. Only cheese made from skim milk and chicken. Your boy will be healthier if he trims down a bit.
    Linda-Mum to Bella (born 02/28/04) since 8 weeks
    Tucker (born 09/10/2003) since 02/28/05
    My sweet rescue, Molly Mae since 11/11/05

kstover is offline New to the Village

sorry, i meant .5 cups in the morning and .5 cups at night.

+ Reply to Thread