Swollen Whisker Follicles?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swollen Whisker Follicles?

Zeppelin is offline Village Puppy

Default Swollen Whisker Follicles?

Hi all,

I apologize if this is a repetitive question - I'm new and I did try searching but didn't get any results..

Zepp, our 7 month old black pug, has had several occassions where a whisker follicle appears to swell up, much like a pimple, but no whitehead.

I've seen this on some older pugs but not on a young guy like our Zepp.. (but it didn't seem worth the $100+ vet bill to ask.. )

I'm sure some out there have seen this before and I'm just wondering - is this normal? Does it hurt them? He does seem a little sensitive to touch when this happens.

Thanks in advance!!!

Love,
    Christine

bugs is offline Village VP

my guys seem to get the same thing, I think its just a pimple, I guess I have never asked my vet about it but there really nothing that has alarmed me.
    Colleen Carter
    Jill, Buck, & Gabby
    "Folks will know how large your soul is by how you treat a dog." - C. Doran

Pug of Perfection is offline Village VP

Hi Christine!

It's so funny you posted that - I have a black pug that has those little whiteheads off and on - and one got swollen the other day (the thread is called Lumpy Lip, lol). It's like a plugged pimple or something. He doesn't like us to touch it, but it doesn't seem overly painful to him (he doesn't like us messing with his mouth for any reason). It was suggested that they flare up from using plastic dishes, so I'm switching to ceramic. So far, the lump is still there, just a little smaller. It appears sometimes to come to a head and then go back down. So Zepp is not alone!
    Mommy to Daruma Gene, the Pug of Perfection...and Roxi Lou, my sweet crazy furkid.

Always missing my sweet baby grandpug, Montgomery Marie - I will someday see you at the Rainbow Bridge, my sweet little girl - (05/25/07-08/13/10 - victim to PDE)

lolasmum is offline Village Mayor

Lola used to get them from time to time but we put it down to adolescent pimples! She seems to have grown out of it now (she's 2 now) but our friend who has an 8 month old puppy is going through a spotty faze now! I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your pug isn't in too much pain. They normally dissappear within a day or two.

Sarah, Lola May and Ruby xx

Lola on dogster, Ruby on dogster

Pug Inspired Jewelry at Plain Jane Design
    **New Website now online**

Zeppelin is offline Village Puppy

Thanks Peoples! :)

WHEW!!! Glad to know it's nothing to worry about.. I don't like it when my baby is hurting no matter how little LOL

Love,
    Christine

Shikari23 is offline Village Mayor

We actually asked our vet/breeder about this when we first saw it in Teal'c. She called it a 'Localized staph infection'... AKA, a zit. She said it's normal and that they should go away on their own, but if they didn't seem to be going away on their own, we could use a tiny dab of CLEARASIL on them as it shouldn't harm the pug. :D

LynneB_IzzyB is offline Village Puppy

Default Pimples

I'm concerned about the same thing. When we saw Izzy at 9 weeks her muzzle area was clean. When we picked her up on Thursday, she had 2 areas of three "pimples". She had just come from the vets and the breeder said that's all they were. It has been only 2 days, but they don't appear to be clearing up or getting larger. They certainly diminish her beautiful little face, though. I was just curious if there were other puppies with pimples.

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

It's 'Juvenile acne'. Absolutely nothing to worry about. They come and go. As the name suggests, they can get it quite frequently while young but many grow out of it as they get older.

It's wise not to use plastic dishes, sometimes the scratches that they acquire can harbour germs. Metal or ceramic are fine.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

Ayatollahmugsy is offline Village Mayor

I used to get those as a puppy. My vet said they were just pug pimples.
    The pug. The myth. The legend.
    Visit The Ayatollah's Teachings to learn more.

+ Reply to Thread