Infected wrinkle?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Infected wrinkle?

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Default Infected wrinkle?

I noticed yesterday that Bella has a swollen part of one of her face wrinkles (just on one side of her face). I've taken a wet paper towel and wiped it out, there was some brown gunky stuff and then dried it with a dry paper towel.

My question is what can I use to clean it at home, if anything? She has a vet appointment next week on Wednesday, is that too long to wait to have it checked? Will an infection (if that is what this is) interfere with having her spayed? Should I call the vet? What do you think? Thanks!!
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy 11-22-03 - 4-17-14 RIP My Buddy, Oscar 1-18-09, And Sophie 04-08-10. 3 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan! Emma kitty at the Rainbow Bridge 9-11-02 - 3-11-13.

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

bugs is offline Village VP

I would call the vet, you want them in tip top shape when they are going under its really easy to get rid of. We are leaving for the vet in a few minutes. That is a question I have for the vet, my guy just cant seem to get rid of the darn wrinkle infections for some reason.
    Colleen Carter
    Jill, Buck, & Gabby
    "Folks will know how large your soul is by how you treat a dog." - C. Doran

lisamak is offline Village Merchant

Vince had an infected wrinkle when we first adopted him. It did require antibiotic drops for a week so you'll need to at least call the vet to get the scrip.

We clean his fold with chlorhexiderm (and/or a similar blue wash we sometimes get online) but not sure if you want to use that straight up on the face (we squirt on a little cotton pad, wipe, then wipe with dry). Its probably safer now to use a cotton pad with some hot water on it, wipe 'til its clean, then wipe again to dry. The fold is a little 'tougher' than the rest of the face and I wouldn't want to use a strong cleanser where it might sting.

You can probably also do the hot water clean method and follow up with a bit of neosporin if it takes you a day or 2 to get to the vet.

Lisa, Vince, Norman and Doug-Doug - the baking boyz from My Dog Ate It!

Find us on Facebook!

Follow Norman and the gang on Twitter!

Lisa&Izzy&Aggy is offline Village Chatterbox

I'd call the vet. You want her in good shape before she gets spayed. Izzy had an infection in her nose roll and they gave her oral antibiotics and Malaseb Pledgets to clean the wrinkles with.

Once the infection is cleared up you can use the Malaseb Pledgets to clean the wrinkles a couple times per week to keep it from coming back.
    We give dogs time we can spare,space we can spare and love we can spare.
    And in return, dogs give us their all.
    It's the best deal man has ever made. -M. Acklam

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Girls
    Izzy & Aggy

I don't feel so bad now knowing that Franklin isn't alone in this wrinkle mess. but yea, go to the vet, its an easy fix with antibiotics.
    Destanie and 'Franklin Eugene'

Franklin- http://www.dogster.com/?261230

Destanie- www.myspace.com/destanie

georgeandweezy is offline Village Governor

When there's bacteria in there, I use Mometamax in George and Weezy's wrinkle. It has a steroid for inflammation and an antibiotic. It's used mostly for ears, but it can be used topically elsewhere. It works great and only has to be applied once daily. Ask the vet about it as an option if there is an infection.
    Cara & Dan, parents to pugs George, Weezy and Jasper; and nonpugs, Sophia and Bubba.

http://www.blackpugs.net

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Guess I know what I'm going to be doing today then... calling the vet! I figured that's what you guys would say, I just wanted to be sure. Hopefully they can get it all cleared up by next week, otherwise we'll be changing her spay appt. Thanks guys!!
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy 11-22-03 - 4-17-14 RIP My Buddy, Oscar 1-18-09, And Sophie 04-08-10. 3 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan! Emma kitty at the Rainbow Bridge 9-11-02 - 3-11-13.

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

Luvbean25 is offline Village B'Dazzlin' Show Girl

I use two products for the nose roll issues. It seems that on some pug their tears tend to run down into the nose roll, causing some "funk". I have found these two products to be the best to help infections and maintain a clean nose roll...

Malseb Pledgets
    http://bullwrinklerx.com/detail.aspx?ID=72

Neo-Predef Powder
    http://bullwrinklerx.com/detail.aspx?ID=1116

This is usually the site I order from as well. They are very quick with shipping, and the prices are MUCH cheaper than what the vet will charge you!

Sarina
    Mommy to: Sebastian
    Pugs: Chloe, Emma, Scarlett, & Milani

"The discipline of desire is the background of character".

bugs is offline Village VP

Well we are back for the vet, and she said Bucks don't look that bad, to me they do though. She said continue with the pledgets daily, or to put the ear infection med in there once a day. But then she gave me antibiotics because he has some kind of skin infection on his tummy, so she said that should also help clear the wrinkle infection up.
    Colleen Carter
    Jill, Buck, & Gabby
    "Folks will know how large your soul is by how you treat a dog." - C. Doran

+ Reply to Thread