Oh no, she ate a plum pit.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh no, she ate a plum pit.

amela is offline Village Senator

Default Oh no, she ate a plum pit.

She grabbed it right off my desk and swallowed it whole! Plums apparently are safe for dogs... but the pit? Oh my. Should I just look out for a really messy poop?

Amy,
    Natasha the cuddle-pugger,
    Bellatrix the houdini-pug,
    and Snooper the glamour kitty

TNPUGMOMOF2 is offline Village Royalty

I would just make sure she passes it, blockage would be my only concern and they aren't very big, so you should be fine!
    Marci - pugmom to Lola, Bella, Hank & BIG brother Odin the English Mastiff.

SairaLV is offline Village Royalty

I'm pretty sure pits are pretty bad for dogs. We have a peach tree in our backyard, and I have to watch when our dogs go out there to make sure they won't eat them bc of the pit but I'm not sure if just 1 would cause any damage.

Here's what I found: Apple seeds, cherry pits, and peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, peaches, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous

I'd call the vet just to ask?
    Last edited by SairaLV; 06-28-2006 at 02:07 PM.

ViralMD is offline None

Plum pits are SMALL....the nice thing to know is that it'll more than likely pass on its own. And much smaller. The pH of a dog's stomach is REALLY low (acidic) and will likely eat away a lot of the pit. Just make sure she continues to pass stool for the next two days or so.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

never2manypugs is offline Village Royalty

Check out this link: http://www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?id=133

It doesn't list plum but it does have peach and apricot! I would call your vet or the ASPCA poison control : 1-888-426-4435 (they do charge).
    Pam - owned by Roxie (almost 12 yrs) , Lola (14 yrs), and Olivia (almost 9 yrs)

And Taylor, who showed me how to be loved by a pug,waits at the bridge. Mommy loves you! You will forever be in my heart.
    And never to forget, the sweetest pug ever Tasha who is at the bridge with her sister.
    And very sadly now, my baby boy Boris.

Love is to wake up cuddling a pug.

There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those.
    -- Author Unknown

pegatha is offline Village Royalty

Gidget ate a bunch of nectarine pits, and passed them all without problems. But then she also ate staples and an alarm clock without problems. I am past calling the vet - they just laugh at me now. Peg

amela is offline Village Senator

Thanks Alice! And everyone else! I'm watching her like a hawk for the next two days. She just pooped on my carpet about 10 minutes ago and I'll make sure she does a healthy poop tonight. In the grass though!

Oh, I just read about the poison factor. I think I read somewhere that plums were okay, but I'll the vet and ask.
    Last edited by amela; 06-28-2006 at 02:16 PM.

Amy,
    Natasha the cuddle-pugger,
    Bellatrix the houdini-pug,
    and Snooper the glamour kitty

ViralMD is offline None

Plums really ARE OK...very little toxic in them. Even in peach pits there's so little cyanide compound that a whole pile of them needs to be consumed....RELAX. As we used to say in the ER: when there's an emergency take your own pulse first.

SairaLV is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by viralmd
    Plums really ARE OK...very little toxic in them.
    How about peaches??

ViralMD is offline None

If you open a peach pit, the little nugget you find inside smells faintly of almonds - that's the smell of cynano-compounds, including cyanide. There really isn't much in there. I used to eat them all the time as a kid, because I liked the almond taste....maybe that explains why I am like I am today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast