How tell dogs age.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How tell dogs age.

Pugnose is offline Village Governor

Default How tell dogs age.

How do you "age" a dog? 2 vets aged my rescue Ruby at age 2.5 or 3. she looks alot older, and when people ask me her age and I tell them......they look at me like i'm crazy. her teeth look pretty well, but her face and behavior are older. I wish I knew for sure...

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

That is one of the hardest things. I can age a horse in no time flat. Dogs (and cats for that matter) are INCREDIBLY difficult to pin-point. You go on the condition of the teeth (but that can be deceptive) graying (but my Puck at 9 has very little grey.....) general health.... but all these things are not scientific, just educated guesses.
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

I have come to realize this- Ruby has a lot of Gray, however her teeth look pretty good- Her physical condition would tell that she's older, because he's on the fluffy side...I really wish I knew how old she is.

What do you think

Ruby looks about 8 or 9, I think.......... however, she is BEE-OO-TI-FUL!!!

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

She is soooooo bee-00-ti-ful indeed. I love her to death.

Please tell me she is not that old- I just got her a a few months ago.........I will try to get a shot of her teeth to see what everyone thinks. I thought giving her a good quality food and watching her intake- she would start to shed some pounds..but I am not sure but it looks like she's putting some on! The only thing she's shedding is layers of hair.....boy is she shedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourteen Legs
    Ruby looks about 8 or 9, I think.......... however, she is BEE-OO-TI-FUL!!!

GingerSnap is offline Village Smart Cookie

However old she is, she's certainly a beauty!
    Ginger
    Mom to Jackson (fawn pug, age 7) and Sammy (black brindle pug/French bulldog, age 9ish or so)

glebou is offline Village Admiral

That's Kewpie there in my avatar. Pug Rescue's vet estimated her age as 9. That was last August when she went into rescue, so she'd be more like 10 now. She's blind from dry eye, which may not have been treated in her former life, and she walks hesitatingly in unfamiliar territory. She also is a little saggy in the abdomen, and it looks like she may have had several litters of puppies. But **I** stubbornly don't want to believe she's 10. Her face is not gray enough. I know she's no youngster, and she has some mileage on her, but does she look 10 to you?
    Gaye

Mom to Jabaar Jefferson Pug and Snafu DeLaRue, (and Edgar Allen Pug, Priscilla Ann Pug, Kewpie Doll Boudreaux, Moe Jackson Pug, RooBen Lancaster Pug and Anya Pavlina Pug waiting for me at the Bridge)

PugSavers is offline Village Royalty

Our vet says over the age of 9 months, it is impossible to pinpoint a dogs age. I have had Bailey for 10 years. We assumed him to be about a year when he was found. He got grey at about 5 years of age and is now REALLY grey. Betty is the same age...she has some "light"greying around the face and chest. If she was found into rescue now, we'd probably guess her to be about 6 or 7 and she is 11. Bailey we would probably put at 14 or 15...he is the same age.

The important thing is to love them for every minute they (and we) have on this earth.
    Roxane
    Mama to Betty (now age 15)
    Forever Mama to my angel boy Bailey,my heart,my love
    2/14/95-2/14/10 and my other angel boy Tiny Tim,who taught me so much about loving a differently abled pug
    4/10/98-3/7/10

www.pugsavers.com
    "Rescuing Pugs & Pug Mixes in Northern California and Northern Nevada"

"You can lead a ho to culture but you can't make her think."

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet!"

Check out our Cafe Press store www.cafepress.com/pugsavers
    for Pug Items to benefit rescue!

If your vets are saying she's much younger, and they have seen her teeth, then they are making the most educated guess anyone could. It's tough when you don't know her history and everything.

Well, I am going to have to say the vet's are right.....I just know she acts and looks a lot older, but I really have not been around very many pugs. I have a youngster "Maggie" and she's full of piss and vinegar. I appreciate all of your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Fourteen Legs
    If your vets are saying she's much younger, and they have seen her teeth, then they are making the most educated guess anyone could. It's tough when you don't know her history and everything.

+ Reply to Thread