pug eye myth? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: pug eye myth?

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno5106
    My vet told me not to squeeze his face too hard becuase if you sqeeze his face to hard his eyes can pop out. I can't even imagine?

This is gross and probably a REALLY stupid question but what would you do if it popped out? Does it hang or does it litterally fall out and roll on the floor or something?

THIS IS A SCARY THOUGHT
    I have never seen this (thank heavens!) but no it wouldn't roll around on the floor as it will be attached by a vein, optic nerve etc. I don't know if the nerve is long enough that it would look as if it was hanging on a piece of string, but I doubt it, so I would think it just sits on top of the eye socket kind of like a golf ball sitting on a tee (enjoy your game of golf today, golfers )

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

IMaPugMama is offline Village Mayor

I was babysitting my 10 week old little pug granddaughter Dewy, she was a firecracker (still is) and was playing way too rough with the other dogs and all of the sudden I heard her yelp and I picked her up and her eye was all bulged out and sticking way out of the socket! I was mortified! It makes me sick feeling even now just writing about it! I knew it had to be taken care of immediately (thanks to PV!) so I rushed her to the vet then he had me rush her to the vet eye doctor. They were able to not only save her eye, but her sight. He said because she was so young that her optical nerve had some stretch to it yet and that's why we were able to save her sight. You can't even tell now that it had ever happened. I felt so bad cause she wasn't even my puppy, she was my daughters! I'm thankful that she is such a forgiving daughter cause she still lets me have Dewy over all the time!

My daughter took this pic of her a couple of days after it happened. I have a hard time looking at it, it just makes me sick what happened to her under my care! You can see how her eye is still red.
    **Kate, Daisy, BuddyBoy and little Dewy!**

Debbi Haughey is offline Village Royalty
    About 15 minutes outside of Philadelphia, PA

I was a paramedic for years and the way that we treated a dislodged eye was to keep it moist and to put a paper cup over the eye to protect it, with a small hole in the bottom of the cup. The purpose of the hole is so that the eye can focus on something, otherwise the eye will keep "looking" for something to focus on.
    So, I would grab a cup, poke a hole in it, place it over pugs eye, tape in place and quickly get to the vets. If there is more than a 15 min time between accident and arrival, I would moisten the eye with a gentle mist...possibly from the dreaded spray bottle.
    Good question to ask a vet...
    Hugs, Debbi and Tucker

bellamonstermom is offline New to the Village

Default Proptosis happened to Bella 2 months ago...

Hello, I am new to the group, and joined today after seeing this thread that I found while doing a google search.

My 6 year old pug Bella suffered a proptosed eye approximately two months ago. We don't didn't see it happen, but were home at the time. My fiance and I had been working in the yard, and the dogs had been in and out all day, as the doors to the house were open. I sat on the rockery to take a break in the afternoon, and Bella came and sat on my foot. I looked down and saw her eye and panicked. I yelled for Ric to come right now, and we were in the car withing 60 seconds, and to the emergency vet in five minutes. They were able to put her eye back in place, but at this point, she has lost most of her vision in that eye. She is a patient of several years at Seattle's Animal Eye Clinic and their Dr. Thomas Sullivan. He told me that prognosis for vision is determined at the time of the injury. He also told me that this can happen by a pug pushing their face into a tight area, such as inbetween couch cushions, causing the eyelid to be forced back behind the eye. He does not think that she had any impact.
    You can see photos of her after her surgery and a full story at http://www.dogster.com/?229187 She has a recheck at the eye clinic on Aug 31st. (I don't know why, but it won't let me get out of italics, sorry!)
    Dr. Sullivan says that he sees approximately 2 cases a month of proptosis.
    We are still hoping that she will regain some more vision, right now she has a little peripheral vision, and sensitivity to light, but not as quick of a reaction as in her good eye. Hopefully the optic nerve will heal more.
    Thanks for the thread,
    Bella and Monster's mom,
    Cammie

Last edited by bellamonstermom; 08-21-2006 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Edited to sign name

never2manypugs is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno5106 View Post
    This is gross and probably a REALLY stupid question but what would you do if it popped out? Does it hang or does it litterally fall out and roll on the floor or something?

THIS IS A SCARY THOUGHT
    No, not a stupid question but the eye doesn't fall all the way out . It pops out from the eyelids. I have seen too many . No, none of mine but at work. At can also happen easily to shih tzus, peke, and chihuahuas. Most that we see are due to a dog bite but some are from falling or getting hit in head . The sight can sometimes be saved but not always. There is one poor pug that is a client that had both eyes popped out (at different times) due to bites from a larger dog in the house!
    Pam - owned by Roxie (almost 12 yrs) , Lola (14 yrs), and Olivia (almost 9 yrs)

And Taylor, who showed me how to be loved by a pug,waits at the bridge. Mommy loves you! You will forever be in my heart.
    And never to forget, the sweetest pug ever Tasha who is at the bridge with her sister.
    And very sadly now, my baby boy Boris.

Love is to wake up cuddling a pug.

There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those.
    -- Author Unknown

AnnaWilds is offline New to the Village

Unhappy eye prolapse

This has just happened to my 11 week old little guy..I have two other large dogs and we were all in the living room. My rather boisterous male dog was making growling sounds , but not what I would call harmful ones. Anyway next thing he had turned round and snapped and the next thing my little Winston is running round the living room crying. I went to comfort him and that's when I saw it....YIKES!!!!!! It was the worst thing I have seen and really knocked me for six . We rang the vets and we were only 20 mins away ...My hubby just kept screaming "push it back in ..push it back in " I knew I shouldn't do that , so I tried to keep the eye lid closed over it as much as I could.
    The vet did the op straight away and he said the good thing was that the eye just popped straight back in without any force..He said that was a good sign . But now his eyelids are sewn shut and we have to wait till next week to see if there is any permanent damage...
    He is still acting out and gets a little boisterous.
    The swelling went down the next day and it is almost the proper size again.When he moves his good eye I can see the other eye under the lid moving at the same time ...so I am feeling a bit better now .
    The Vet said things are looking good , he said we only have to worry if it seems like the socket is turning hollow , But so far everything seems fine.
    I don't know what to do about my big male dog now ...he is very overpowering and jealous , are they never going to be able to be in the same room together?????
    Last edited by AnnaWilds; 04-01-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    Mummy to Winston Churchill 12 week old little guy.

http://http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...s/SDC10062.jpg

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaWilds View Post
    This has just happened to my 11 week old little guy..I have two other large dogs and we were all in the living room. My rather boisterous male dog was making growling sounds , but not what I would call harmful ones. Anyway next thing he had turned round and snapped and the next thing my little Winston is running round the living room crying. I went to comfort him and that's when I saw it....YIKES!!!!!! It was the worst thing I have seen and really knocked me for six . We rang the vets and we were only 20 mins away ...My hubby just kept screaming "push it back in ..push it back in " I knew I shouldn't do that , so I tried to keep the eye lid closed over it as much as I could.
    The vet did the op straight away and he said the good thing was that the eye just popped straight back in without any force..He said that was a good sign . But now his eyelids are sewn shut and we have to wait till next week to see if there is any permanent damage...
    He is still acting out and gets a little boisterous.
    The swelling went down the next day and it is almost the proper size again.When he moves his good eye I can see the other eye under the lid moving at the same time ...so I am feeling a bit better now .
    The Vet said things are looking good , he said we only have to worry if it seems like the socket is turning hollow , But so far everything seems fine.
    I don't know what to do about my big male dog now ...he is very overpowering and jealous , are they never going to be able to be in the same room together?????
    Sounds like a terrible experience for you. Hope your puppy has a perfect recovery with no lasting damage.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Welcome to the village. I am sorry it is under such circumstances and hope your pup recovers fully.

As for the big male dog, I don't know whether this would be likely to be a one off but I would certainly be very wary about them being together and watch them like a hawk. Obviously they can't be left together unattended. Even so, as you have witnessed, these things can happen very quickly.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Pugdawg1 is offline Village Baker

When Winston got a scratch on his eye, it turned into an ulcer that we battled until one day, when Dave came home, Winston got excited and his eye popped out of the socket. I don't know if it was due to a big infection behind the eye or what. But it was the most awful thing I've seen in a long time and broke my heart to see. We wound up rushing to the vet, who determined that between the damage of the ulcer that had ruined the vision in that eye, and the damage of being popped out, that the wise thing would be to remove the eye. After the eye was removed, he was back to his normal self, it was like he was in horrid pain for the couple of weeks we were trying everything, and when it was finally gone, he had a huge sense of relief. Poor pug.
    Marnie & Winston
    Always and forever missing her Oscar.

Anne is offline Village Mayor

As many, many others have said, Pug eyes can and do 'pop out'.

The reason for this is the skull shape and, in some cases, bad breeding. The brachycephalic skull shape means that the dog has narrow eye sockets. In poorly bred Pugs, this delicate balance of the eye in the socket is further put at risk by bulging eyes.

Any hard knock to the back of the head or to the sides of the head and or eye sockets can and does result in the eye popping out.

Optic nerves can be stretched. If the eye is hanging for too long, the nerve will actually stretch which will usually result in a loss of vision.

We had a rescue come in a year or 2 back with his eye litterally hanging on his cheek. The nerve was stretched and dry indicating he had been this way for at least a day. The good news was, the eye was stitched back into place and he didn't lose any vision in this instance. :)
    Pug Rescue Sydney
    www.pugrescuesydney.com.au

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast