sleeping with eyes open
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sleeping with eyes open

Pixie_n_Gizmo is offline Village Mayor

Default sleeping with eyes open

We all know our little puggies like to know what is going on at all times. I have the unfortunate experience of seeing Gizmo sleep with his eyes wide open, often. It freaks me out.

The other night, and i cringe just thinking about it now, I woke up and thought he was awake only to see him having REM sleep, yes... with the eyes open. I wigged so bad.

Nothing seems to be wrong with his eyes, he doesn't ALWAYs sleep with them open, just enough to bother/worry me...

anyone else?
    Pixie is the over protective mommy... Brian is the more stable parent...
    Gizmo is the spoiled puggy puppy... We make a happy family!!!
    Pics - always adding new ones!!!

Yes, I am the political-pain-in-the-ass-activist. And you are?

Emi-Lou is offline Village Governor

Emi sleeps with her eyes at least partially open a lot of the time. But if they were all the way open I guess that would be a little freaky huh? I always just assumed this was an animal thing because my 2 cats do it too.
    ~ Melissa
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."

dink514 is offline Village Governor

I have a 'scary' one for ya.....
    My Daisy occasionally sleeps with her eyes open, rolled back in her head. Just see the whites. Whats funny is this - they say dogs look like their owners. We decided that the Maltese is all me, and Daisy is my son.....that pitiful profile. The kicker is that my son, daughter and I all sleep with our eyes slightly open. Freaks my husband out.
    Gross but I thought I'd share....lol
    Kelly, Mother of Alyssa, Anthony, Daniel, Cassi, Daisy, Baby, T, Dink and wife of Danny
    www.dogster.com/?384272
    www.dogster.com/?384266.

ZiggyIggy is offline Village Puppy

Ziggy sleeps with his eyes partially open a lot too. They are rolled back as well so you can only see the whites. It is so spooky!!!

never2manypugs is offline Village Royalty

My Tasha sleeps with her eyes open too. Sometimes with them rolled back so only the whites show, sometimes wide open like she is looking at something but yet is asleep, and at other times her eyes are open just a bit.
    *A medical note - I had noticed her eyes had pigment on them as if she had PK. When the tear testing was done it was normal. However, sleeping with them open is causing them to dry . I use genteal severe eye gel on them before bed and during the day.
    Pam - owned by Roxie (almost 12 yrs) , Lola (14 yrs), and Olivia (almost 9 yrs)

And Taylor, who showed me how to be loved by a pug,waits at the bridge. Mommy loves you! You will forever be in my heart.
    And never to forget, the sweetest pug ever Tasha who is at the bridge with her sister.
    And very sadly now, my baby boy Boris.

Love is to wake up cuddling a pug.

There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those.
    -- Author Unknown

ViralMD is offline None

Many pugs do have their eyes partially open when asleep, because of the skull shape. However, this has it's consequences: having the eyes closed protects the globe from drying out, as fluids are kept on the surface of the eye. Pugs who don't sleep with their eyes closed my have problems with PK if there is insufficient lubrication and some have had surgery to try to correct this. Just have the vet check the eyes at the medial areas of the sclerae (the white parts nearest the nose) to look for PK...And a little Genteal Severe never hurts!
    Last edited by ViralMD; 10-04-2006 at 05:08 PM.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

cubbiechris is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by dink514 View Post
    I have a 'scary' one for ya.....
    My Daisy occasionally sleeps with her eyes open, rolled back in her head. Just see the whites. Whats funny is this - they say dogs look like their owners. We decided that the Maltese is all me, and Daisy is my son.....that pitiful profile. The kicker is that my son, daughter and I all sleep with our eyes slightly open. Freaks my husband out.
    Gross but I thought I'd share....lol
    Wrigley does the same thing. Looks like he's possessed!

2MillRescues is offline Village Mayor

I second ViralMD's post. My veterinary ophthalmologist advised that sleeping with eyes open can lead to dry eye problems and PK. Puralube is my choice. For a while she was on cyclosporine but when her WBC crashed all meds were stopped and the vet did not want her back on that even though I'm sure that wasn't a factor. C'est la vie.

It's a freaky thing to see when in REM sleep and eyes open, I agree.
    Ann H.,
    Guardian of Ohnie and Lena

"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum." ("Love me, love my dog.") - St. Bernard, A.D. 1150, "Sermo Primus"

PrincetonTigers is offline Village Puppy

Princeton sleeps with his eyes partly open all the time. I actually don't think I've ever seen them closed when he sleeps. So I do sometimes see his REM sleep.

We give Princeton eye drops quite a bit because he's had eye problems - he had dystrophic tissue on both eyes, with one eye having required surgery due to a corneal ulcer. I do wonder if dry eye might have partly predisposed him to these problems. So if we didn't need to give him eye drops for his condition already, I'm sure we would put something in his eyes just to lubricate them at night. I definitely support others' recommendations of doing this.
    Mom to Tiger and rescue Princeton

+ Reply to Thread