Best Collar Choice?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Collar Choice?

MrGreen13 is offline Village Puppy

Default Best Collar Choice?

Right now I am using just a regular dog collar for my pug and am wondering if that's what's best for her. (I know she doesn't breathe as well as other breeds). I saw someone else using a harness...just wondering if anyone had any certain preferences as to which is better/more comfortable for her?

Thanks!

SaraFaust is offline Village Pug and Pilsner Connoisseur

I have a Puppia harness for Misty. She has no neck, so she can't pull out of it as easily. Although I know some pugs pull out of these, too. There were some other posts on an earlier thread about a 5-way adjustable harness that some pug-lovers really like, hopefully someone will post about them. But I'm very happy with my Puppia harness. They're about $26 but well worth it! Just Google "Puppia Harness".
    Sara- owned by Misty-Mae and Bindi-Lou!
    And always in love with my foster George, who went to live in a perfect forever home 6/7/08, and my sweet Wickett who went to live with George where he will never have to be kenneled again, and my Suki-Lee who went to live with a good friend where she will be the only dog and lavished with attention day and night!

"Rescuing one pug may not change the world, but it will change the world of that one pug forever"

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/people/Sara_J_Faust/1482537871

mamapug1959 is offline Village Mayor

My girls mostly wear Lupine brand harnesses. They have some very pretty patterns. They also have some Premier Sure-Fit Harnesses in plain colors. They have a lot of color choices.
    Anita

Mama to Maggie, MacKenna, Princess Leah and Zoey

Ben&Cricket is offline Village Admiral

Ben has a collar but I feel he chokes when I use that. He uses a harness, not sure of the brand. My hubby got it from Petco.
    Christine ~Ben's Mom ( Ben rescued 11-11-2006)

MrGreen13 is offline Village Puppy

So do you just keep the harness on them all the time or just put them on before you go out?? (Cause right now we seem to be taking our pug out every couple of hours!)

I guess we could alternate, huh?

Ben&Cricket is offline Village Admiral

Ben has a collar. Very light that he has all day long with his tags. But when he goes out he uses the heavy duty harness. Not sure if my avatar shows his picture. Ben is a mixed pug so he is a bit bigger than the full breed pugs.
    Last edited by Ben&Cricket; 02-27-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: change
    Christine ~Ben's Mom ( Ben rescued 11-11-2006)

ViralMD is offline None

Cyril wears a harness (Premier, available at www.sitstay.com and lots of other places, which is adjustable five ways and doesn't require the dog to step through a loop) for walks. At home he's 'au naturel.'
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

Snifter is online now Moderator/Village Merchant

We use a harness for walks and a collar for showing (obviously) and for obedience training.

I have the Premier 5 way and it is brilliant. Puppia is very comfy but seems a bit too easy to escape from.

I must have bought about 8 different harnesses before giving in and ordering the Premier from the USA. Shipping cost more than the harness!

If you're going in and out a lot for pottying and don't have a fenced yard then I would keep the harness or collar on, but you need to be careful if she is not under supervision as the harness or collar could catch on something.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Abby's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Mine use a collar when we are playing in the yard or when they go to grandmas all day while we are at work. They use a harness for walking or any other outing. They are usually naked when they are at home.
    Chris
    Abby aka da purity
    Zoie
    Mad Max
    DH Rick
    And Cool Cats Sydney and Sabre

Visit me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...23837&ref=name

A I hope if dogs ever take over the world and they choose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are little dogs with some good ideas.
    ~Marc-Christophe

Taltos is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreen13 View Post
    Right now I am using just a regular dog collar for my pug and am wondering if that's what's best for her. (I know she doesn't breathe as well as other breeds). I saw someone else using a harness...just wondering if anyone had any certain preferences as to which is better/more comfortable for her?

Thanks!
    I personally prefer a harness because they do have such a hard time breathing. We take it off while inside and only put it on when we go out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast