Fleas are the devil!!! Help!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleas are the devil!!! Help!

Rocko_Parson is offline Village Governor

Default Fleas are the devil!!! Help!

I have no clue what to do for rocko, he gets frontline every month, but he still has fleas. The vet told me he is allergic to the actual flea bites because he will bite and bite and scratch at the fleas to the point where he has scabs on his thighs from them! What can i do to help him? he stays inside until he has to go potty, but other than that he is INSIDE! I can't let him sleep with us anymore or anything cause he gave our bed fleas. The vet didn't help us so we are kinda on our own! please anyone help!
    pugs not drugs

http://www.pughearts.com/
    www.dfwpugs.com/
    --roxie's website--
    www.dogster.com/?415367
    --rocko's website--

amber is offline Village Runs with Scissors

Poor Rocko and poor you! If you are dealing with a flea infestation you may need to fontline Rocko and then all of you go to a motel for a night or two while you bomb the house. Hopefully others will have a better idea.

Amber, Genie, Dora, Einstein, Mackinley and always missing our sweet boy Mack.

Dogs sleep so much because they love so hard.

I swear by using Borax laundry detergent on the floors. Just sprinkle it on the floor, let it sit about 30 minutes and vacuum it up. I do this as a preventative and we've never had a flea problem inside. If you don't rid the inside of your home of the fleas, you'll continue to have a problem. Make sure you empty your vacuum bag/cannister after vacuuming.

I also found these Capstar flea pills online and they have a great review.

Here is a coupon code for $5 off too: PA35 ... it expires 5/31
    Last edited by ownedbymack; 04-25-2007 at 01:00 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sabra - Owned by Mack & Mattie
    FashionableFurbabies
    Central Florida Pug Rescue

Click HERE for 2007 PV Secret Santa Info!!
    Deadline for sign-ups is October 10th!!

Mechelle is offline None

We had a BAD flea infestation here a year ago;.....Had 2 cats, (indoor only) and Parker, My rat terrier....we had to get Terminix (they spray for roaches, spiders, snails, you name it) to come in and spray our carpets...we had to board the cats and dog at the vets office...($10.) is all they charged me..we had to leave the house for 4 hrs, to make sure the carpets were dry...they animals were at the vets, they went on ahead and gave them front line for me....I never had a flea problem again...OH YES...the best key after you get your house sprayed, bombed whatever you do...teh MORE YOU VACCUUMN THE BETTER....cause it sucks teh fleas up out of the carpet, I bet I ran my vac 10 times a day after thsi....I have a bagless,. each time I was done I emptied the canister outside in the trash JUST IN CASE there was any live ones they coudn't make it out adn back into the carpets again.....

I also heard to sprinkle muletine boraxz (laundry soap) on your carpet...leave it there for a week, and then vaccuumn it up....

another on too....I use brewers yeast in my canned food...the garlic in the brewers yeast is sopposed to keep the FLEAS OFF the pets, plus it makes them have a beautiful shiny coat...I have front line here that I have purchased 4 months ago (I was keeping it on them year round just in case!) and I haven't had to use it once since i started using the brewers yeast, I comb them every day, and haven't found flea dirt or NOTHING!!!!!

I hope this helps you and good luck!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The 2 Loves of My Life & my 2 best friends..China & Zoe
    Parker you may be gone, but you are always in my heart
    A PUG IS PROOF THAT GOD HAS A SENSE OF HUMOR!

skyyak is offline Village Puppy

My new girl just had this same problem! She was living outside and had a flea problem- she would also itch herself until she was raw- the vet had to shave her side and gave me clavamox (anitbiotic) and an ointment to put on her red spots. Plus we gave her advantage, and the cat revolution (which also kills mites- should have done it the other way around as pug had mites too and kitty didn't). She is finally not itching after about 2 weeks since seeing the vet.

Fortunately we didn't have any fleas before she came, but it cost $110 for the vet to get rid of them.

Daphnie Pug: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517136
    Sky Yak (hence the screen name): http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-10/1218861/fubblue.jpg
    and Skippy Cat

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

GracieNEmmasMom is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by ownedbymack View Post
    I swear by using Borax laundry detergent on the floors. Just sprinkle it on the floor, let it sit about 30 minutes and vacuum it up.
    I swear by this too!! We had our house infested with fleas when we originally bought it. We didn't even have the dogs at the time and we sprinkled this on the floor and we have not had one flea in the house since...even with the dogs there now.

legallyblondemel is offline Village Senator

I hear you - the fleas in Texas are coming out early this year, it seems!

I've used Advantage on both cats & dogs before with great success, but the real kicker is getting the carpets fixed - if the eggs are hatching there, the topical flea treatments are only able to do so much. We've both had a commercial cleaner come bomb the house & done it ourselves with Borax-like stuff (can't recall the name), but carpet (assuming your house is carpeted) should be the first step.

Good luck!

Rocko_Parson is offline Village Governor

thanks i will try the borax if you guys can think of any other home remedies i am all ears!
    pugs not drugs

http://www.pughearts.com/
    www.dfwpugs.com/
    --roxie's website--
    www.dogster.com/?415367
    --rocko's website--

Luvbean25 is offline Village B'Dazzlin' Show Girl

I would suggest giving him a capstar as suggested and changing his flea prevention to Advantage if frontline does not work for you!

Sarina
    Mommy to: Sebastian
    Pugs: Chloe, Emma, Scarlett, & Milani

"The discipline of desire is the background of character".

edill is offline New to the Village

Default Fleas

I have had bad flea problems as well. My vet said it is particularly an issue with pier and beam houses like mine. There have been some excellent suggestions for indoor treatments, but for the back yard I would suggest getting some nematodes from your local plant nursery. You spray the yard according to the directions, and the nematodes eat the flea larva. You have to treat the yard again 3 weeks later to kill any newly hatched ones, then it should be good for at least several years. I'm trying it out this weekend and would like to hear from anyone else who has tried this as well. My county extension agent says it works very well.

ed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast