spay/palate/nares surgery recovery questions *pics* - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spay/palate/nares surgery recovery questions *pics*

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

I had all of those procedures done on Bella at 6 months as well. She didn't have laser surgery and did have stitches so there was no red/rawness like what your girl has. I would probably bring it up to your vet though. I fed Bella softened dry food for about 2 weeks post surgery because of the soft palette. As far as keeping her calm, good luck! Bella was horrible when we had her out of her crate, so she spent a lot of time in it or being held during the first 2 weeks. By the way, your baby is adorable!!
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy (The Pug) 11-22-03,Oscar (The Pug) 01-18-09 - And now Sophie (The Girl Pug) 04-08-10 :) 3 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan! Emma kitty at the Rainbow Bridge 9-11-02 - 3-11-13.

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

cookiedough is offline Village Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy's Mom View Post
    I had all of those procedures done on Bella at 6 months as well. She didn't have laser surgery and did have stitches so there was no red/rawness like what your girl has. I would probably bring it up to your vet though. I fed Bella softened dry food for about 2 weeks post surgery because of the soft palette. As far as keeping her calm, good luck! Bella was horrible when we had her out of her crate, so she spent a lot of time in it or being held during the first 2 weeks. By the way, your baby is adorable!!
    thank you, jennifer, for your reply! interesting how a lot of pugs got their nares done the good ol' fashioned way. i have a vet appt for her this aftn--i have a feeling everything is fine, but i just want to hear it from the vet for my own peace of mind. did your vet tell you to feed softened dry food for 2 weeks or was that your own idea? i'm so glad you can relate to the difficulty of keeping a pug puppy calm for 2 weeks! we have 3 dogs and it's hard to constantly keep an eye on her so every now and then i'll catch her running after her sisters or jumping on them, so i've taken to keeping her in the gated hallway for most of the time, but she seems miserable! she wants to come out and play. do you remember when you were able to walk bella after all the procedures? and your babies are soo adorable as well!
    Last edited by cookiedough; 11-23-2007 at 01:33 PM.
    Mom to
    Doughy
    (baby pug)
    Butter(scrappy Chi mix)
    Mimi (crazy Rottie)
    R.I.P. Cookie (sweetest pug ever!!!)
    R.I.P. Itsy (my heart Pom-Chi)

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    thank you, jennifer, for your reply! interesting how a lot of pugs got their nares done the good ol' fashioned way. i have a vet appt for her this aftn--i have a feeling everything is fine, but i just want to hear it from the vet for my own peace of mind. did your vet tell you to feed softened dry food for 2 weeks or was that your own idea? i'm so glad you can relate to the difficulty of keeping a pug puppy calm for 2 weeks! we have 3 dogs and it's hard to constantly keep an eye on her so every now and then i'll catch her running after her sisters or jumping on them, so i've taken to keeping her in the gated hallway for most of the time, but she seems miserable! she wants to come out and play. do you remember when you were able to walk bella after all the procedures? and your babies are soo adorable as well!
    It was on my vet's recommendation to feed softened food for 2 weeks after the surgery. After the 2 weeks she seemed to do fine with it regular, but I always add water to their dry kibble so they don't inhale and choke on their food. I waited 2 weeks for the walks as well, just to be sure she was completely healed. She was miserable as well, but I knew it was for her own good to keep her calm. Give your baby a smooch from us!!
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy (The Pug) 11-22-03,Oscar (The Pug) 01-18-09 - And now Sophie (The Girl Pug) 04-08-10 :) 3 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan! Emma kitty at the Rainbow Bridge 9-11-02 - 3-11-13.

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

everdream is offline Village Royalty

I don't have any advice, just wanted to send hugs to you and your baby. She really has been through a lot. Please give her a gentle hug and kiss for me. She is beautiful
    Sherrie...mommy to
    Mimi & Emeril ("Emmy")

Forever missing Pugsley~Angel, Bubba~Angel (Boston terrier), LuLing~Angel and Nikki~Angel, now playing at Rainbow Bridge.

Support Rescue!

Candace is offline Village Admiral

Mine were both stitches. I haven't seen nares done by laser, so don't know if that is normal. My guys barely looked like their noses had anything done to them. There were little purple stitches, that dissolved and no other signs.
    Are you going to call the vet? I guess they are closed, with your holiday.
    ~ Mookie 7 Yrs. ~ Salvador 9 Yrs. ~ Mocha 8 Yrs. ~
    My cats
    Lily 16yrs.
    and Rosie 18yrs., waiting at the Bridge
    Rescue a pug www.pugalug.com
    Pugalug Rescue Application Coordinator
    Fostermom to Vincent

pugs4life is offline Village Mayor

My Rocky had the palate surgery done when he was about 6 months old. I made sure to feed the softened food for at least a week and a half just to make sure it was fully healed. My vet also used the laser surgery.

The benefits of the laser surgery is a faster recovery, less swelling and bleeding, and therefore, I think less pain.

My Gizmo had the nare surgery. We waited till he was full grown just to make sure his nares didn't grow anymore cause I didn't want to have the surgery performed unless it was necessary (some vets are surgery happy). Gizmo's was also done with the laser. It healed so well and quickly. When we went to pick him up he was so happy, you could tell he could actually breath and there was no more foam or bubbles coming from his nose cause he could breath. I didn't have to put any cream on or anything.

Here is a before pic, a right after pic, and a fully recovered pic of Gizmo. Hope it helps.

NOW. If you look inside his nostrils now, it is a light pinky white color from the scar tissue, but you can't see unless you really look in, you can't even tell he had the surgery.
    ~ Melissa ~ Owned by Rocky, Gizmo, and Eva the Diva~

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

How's your baby today?
    What did the Vet Say?

Hope all is well!
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

cookiedough is offline Village Puppy

thanks, everdream!

candace, i'm glad your guys had an easy recovery!

pugs4life, thank you for your response and the pics! i know it's time consuming to post pics, so i do appreciate it! do you remember how long it took for gizmo to be fully healed? and do you remember his nostrils looking extremely pink/red and kind of swollen during the recovery process?

rosiepug, the vet said doughy looks fine and that while her nostrils do look a bit irritated, she should heal normally. she explained that with the laser procedure and no stitches, the nostrils must "patch up" without any help, so it sometimes takes longer than the traditional route. she also said doughy's spay stitches looked great and that everything looked fine. i suppose i just needed to hear it from the vet. i do feel relieved!

thank you all for your kind thoughts and responses! doughy says she feels so special.
    Mom to
    Doughy
    (baby pug)
    Butter(scrappy Chi mix)
    Mimi (crazy Rottie)
    R.I.P. Cookie (sweetest pug ever!!!)
    R.I.P. Itsy (my heart Pom-Chi)

Candace is offline Village Admiral

Glad to hear everything is going well. You are a good mommy, to worry about your girl.
    ~ Mookie 7 Yrs. ~ Salvador 9 Yrs. ~ Mocha 8 Yrs. ~
    My cats
    Lily 16yrs.
    and Rosie 18yrs., waiting at the Bridge
    Rescue a pug www.pugalug.com
    Pugalug Rescue Application Coordinator
    Fostermom to Vincent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12