Sudden blindness
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden blindness

Default Sudden blindness

Last Friday, my 8 year old, Jackie Chan, suddenly went blind. I took him to the vet. Not cataracts, not glaucoma, not high blood pressure. She doesn't think it's SARDS b/c he still has some peripheral vision on the left. We're doing a complete blood workup to see if there is a metabolic condition causing the problem. I'm waiting for the vet to call today with the results.

Anyone have a clue as to what else could cause this? He was just doing agility a few months ago and now he's like an old man.

ViralMD is offline None

It could be one of a number of causes...he might have had a stroke - this can affect any location along the visual pathway from the occiptial cortex to the optic nerve. Because he has it in BOTH eyes, it's more likely a central cause if SARDS has been ruled out.

I'm so sorry.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

Daisy's Daddy is offline Village VP

DeAnna - I'm so sorry to read this!

I hope the find the cause and that it is somehow treatable.

Daisy and Huckstable
    Loved by Kent and Mary

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I'm so very sorry! If it's not treatable, I hope that he adjusts nicely to tt!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Aww, poor Jackie! I'm so sorry! Well, I hope with all my heart that it's treatable! If it isn't, I know there are several blinds pugs on here that do just fine without their sight!! It's amazing how these little guys can adapt!

Many hugs to you and Jackie!

Oooooh, NO, I hate to hear this. We will pray for you guys. Hope you find out what the deal is, sounds very shocking to me.

Thanks for all you your kind wishes, everyone.

I haven't heard back from the vet yet. I guess the blizzard got in the way. What are the odds?!?!?

The snow has been a real challenge for him. He seems very confused, even though I have shoveled multiple paths. He just seems so depressed. I've fostered lots of Pugs with vision issues, but never one like this. I suppose he'll adjust in time.

I'll let you all know when I hear back from the vet.

All of Jackie's bloodwork came back normal. So, I made an appt for him with an opthomologist. I don't think they can do anything for him, but at least I'll know that I've tried.

He seems very sad the last few days. I hope he starts adjusting soon.

BrendaM is offline Village Admiral

DeAnna, have you checked out blinddogs.org? They have a lot of good info.

My first pug Rex went blind due to SARDS at age 7 so I know what you are dealing with. And, we did get a blizzard then, too! (yes, in GA)

It's so hard not to baby them, but I did baby Rex and I think I made a mistake in doing so.

Good luck.

Brenda with Dewey and Shasta
    and... Rex, Kiwi, Rocky and Smokie awaiting my arrival at Rainbow Bridge.
    Southeast Pug Rescue & Adoption, Inc.
    www.rescuepug.com

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast