Arched Back in puppy
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arched Back in puppy

squashpoppy is offline Village Mayor

Question Arched Back in puppy

Hi, I got a 9 week old female pug puppy last week as company for Gary my 5 month old. The problem is she walks with her back arched like a bridge and sits down at any available opportunity. She has a poor appetite and sleeps a lot. I'm planning to take her to the vet next week to get her checked out as it seems to be getting worse. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with her?
    We are so worried and our vet is closed until Monday.
    Thankyou
    xxx

ViralMD is offline None

I really don't know what the problem could be. It's a good rule of thumb to bring ANY new pet to the vet within the first 24-48 hours of acquiring him/her to be sure he or she is healthy. Best of luck.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

jag
    jag is offline Village VP

sorry I can not help, but sounds like a trip to the vet is the right thing to do. not sure weather I would wait until monday. Did you get your little guy/girl from a pet store? or perhaps a breeder, if a breeder it may be worth you while to give the breeder a call.... hope you little feels better soon...
    Lee & Judy parents of Smu

squashpoppy is offline Village Mayor

Hi, she came from an accredited breeder and was vet checked the day before we bought her and came with a written report of health after she had received her first vaccination. The plan was to take her for her second injection on Monday and get her checked then.
    She is a happy little pup when she is awake and we're not convinced that there is anything TOO wrong with her, just thought maybe an arched back was significant of something. I'll give the breeder a call and see what she says
    Thanks for the advice

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

It can mean so many things - I wouldn't wait to have her checked out thoroughly. Hope it's nothing.
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

ViralMD is offline None

I'm not sure what you mean by an 'accredited breeder.' There is no such thing. AKC registration, as many of the people on this board who show and breed will tell you, is almost meaningless.... A good breeder is someone who breeds to improve the breed, not to make a dollar.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

SmugPugs is offline Village Senator

I would definitely not wait until Monday if there's any way to get her in sooner. She's awfully young and, at that age, shouldn't be showing any signs of gastic discomfort. I've had a couple of older dogs with enteritis that showed similar symptoms but you just don't have much reserve in a 9 week old.
    Jade & the Smug Pug Circus

SmugPugs I Am Legend(9pts)
    Desert Moon's Triple Threat
    Anmar's Give Me Liberty
    SmugPugs Country Legend
    SmugPugs Jazz Legend
    Retired: CH Chubby Cheekers, Diva, Lily & Dazzle

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

It could be a very painful back problem like a ruptured disk. The sooner it is treated, the easier it is to fix. And the sooner the pain stops.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/degen-disk.html
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

I would get her to the vet asap.

It could be so many things.....

A 5 month old pup can be kinda rough on a younger pup......and she may have hurt her back.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Luvbean25 is offline Village B'Dazzlin' Show Girl

Can you post a picture? Sounds like she has a dip in her topline? Is it behind her shoulder blade? If so, that is usually a sign that her shoulders are not placed correctly. It is a fault, however it hardly ever turns into a problem until they are in old age and that is when it starts to seriously "breakdown". Without actually seeing it, it is hard to make assumptions. I would suggest that you have her spine x-rayed and make sure they do it at the shoulders to the tip of the tail, that will rule out hemi-vertabrea. Good luck and keep us posted!

Sarina
    Mommy to: Sebastian
    Pugs: Chloe, Emma, Scarlett, & Milani

"The discipline of desire is the background of character".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast