throat clearing
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: throat clearing

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Default throat clearing

Does anyone's pug cough and gag as if to clear its throat of mucus?

Rosie is doing this and it's worrying me. She does it when she wakes up from a sleep and sounds a bit gurgly like she has a cold.
    I do seem to remember on reflection, she does it when the weather is hot and humid. It's just recently become like that.
    I remember this happening in Paris when the weather turned hot in the years we had heatwaves and I mentioned it to the Vet several times. He even took xrays to check the size of her trachea and said it was normal not narrow. He didn't think that she had ESP but then you can't be sure unless you put them under and have a look. He prescribed Megasolone 5 by Merial (any idea what this is for Alice?) He said it helps them breathe better in hot weather and makes them feel better. Anyway after his reassurance, I guess I felt better and stopped worrying but now it's summer again and these symptoms have returned and the whole cycle of fear and anxiety is raising it's ugly head.

I don't know whether it could be a COPD......which is what I'm letting my imagination run away with right now but then I don't remember it happening the rest of the year... and I would notice.
    The Parisian Vet thought not, even though Rosie is and always has been heat and exercise intolerant (as a lot of other pugs are) two symptoms that apparently go hand in hand with COPD.
    Everything else is normal.......well there's a bit more of reverse sneezing now I come to think of it but do we pug owners consider that to be normal?

I have a Vet's appointment Wednesday so I'll see what she says......really just want to know if anyone else has had this cough, gag, throat clearing experience and it turned out to be nothing.

For those of you that have had experience with COPD or ESP were the symptoms always present or intermitent or spasmodic? Anything else you noticed?
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

So sorry Rosie is having issues! I'm glad she's been checked for her trachea and all is normal. That medication sounds like it is probably a steroid so certainly it's something you would only want to use very short term.

I don't have any advice but hope the vet can give you answers. It does seem like it might all be related to the heat. Big hugs for you both.
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

ViralMD is offline None

Sorry she's not well. It could certainly be something like kennel cough, but it sounds like a trip to the vet is in order. Hope she's better soon.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Thank you Rona and Alice for your concern and kind words.

An update!
    Today was the Vets appointment.
    Why do we always think of the worst
    Apparently the heat, humidity and in and out of a/c can make the mucus thicken and also produce more secretions, hence the throat clearing, gagging.
    I have a syrup which will thin the mucus and I'll see if there is a difference.
    I think I partially sorted the problem myself by loosening her Sandfly collar, I guess choking the girl was'nt helping muchjust wanted to make sure the product was getting into the skin.

I had a routine, well annual, blood test drawn to check for Lieshmania and am now playing the waiting game and hoping for the best..........this is the down side of living in the Med.
    I'll know this evening, fingers and paws crossed for a negative result.
    Last edited by Rosiepug; 06-25-2008 at 04:13 AM.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

All crossed for a negative result.

Glad that the honking is nothing particular to worry about. Although we always worry anyway, don't we?!

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

Hope you get a good result from the test Jacqueline!

Glad you seemed to have solved her throat issues.
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

+ Reply to Thread