Bandage question
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bandage question

Sunshyne is offline Village VP

Default Bandage question

I posted a few months ago that Chloe developed a nail bed infection. It is a tiny hairless "scrape" looking circle right above her nail. She took the round of antibiotics, I washed it a few times a day with perscription flush and it got better but she still had a little spot. Went to the vet for follow up, and he said all is good.

Last week I noticed it was back. Ugh. We went back to the vet and she is on antibiotics again. No reasoning for this infection, the vet said it "just happens" and if it clears up it's really no big deal. It does not bother her at all, no limping, no licking, she doesn't care.

I forgot to ask this of the vet, and of course they are closed now (it's after 5 here). I will be sure to call first thing, but here is my question:

Every time we go for walks, it bleeds a little. My fear is the walking is making it worse, but she just turned one and HAS to get her exercise or she bounces off the walls! I am wondering now if I should bandage it? I don't even know how I would do that or if it would make a difference. The vet did say the first visit that fresh air was good for it but I sometimes think that's an old wives tale!

Has anyone else experienced this? Please share your advice if possible. Thanks in advance!
    Me on Facebook, my Love/Hate website:
    http://www.facebook.com/editaccount....62&ref=profile

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

<< I am wondering now if I should bandage it? I don't even know how I would do that or if it would make a difference. The vet did say the first visit that fresh air was good for it but I sometimes think that's an old wives tale! >>
    Given the nasties that coat asphalt and cement, I'd be tempted to put a bootie or guaze/vetwrap bandage on for the walk.
    The fresh air is good ... many bacteria thrive in dark, damp environments. Dry and exposed really is a good thing in most cases.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

ViralMD is offline None

Hmmmmm...I'm wondering if there's bone involvement. Classically, bone infections, also called osteomyelitis, get treated, do better and then crop up again. They need LONG durations of therapy (like MONTHS).

If it is osteo, it might be visible on an X-ray (but only if at least 50% of the calcium in the bone is resorbed). A normal X-ray won't rule it out.

Hope you can get to the bottom of this.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! I did ask about doing some x-rays previously because I had read about the bone thing, and I was also afraid of a MCT. The vet - whom I trust dearly - said wait it out and see what happens this time. I didn't like that too much, but it did get better before. He did say it is a "classic" case of nail bed infection but it wasn't a bad one, "very treatable".

It's very scary thinking it could be something more. I'm definately calling in the morning and asking about that x-ray.

Thanks again!

GingerSnap is offline Village Smart Cookie

I'm with Anne-- until you get to the bottom of this thing, I'd wrap it at least for walks. Vetwrap is sold at most human drugstores under the brand name Coban. There are other brands too, but that's the most common.
    Ginger
    Mom to Jackson (fawn pug, age 7) and Sammy (black brindle pug/French bulldog, age 9ish or so)

Jeanne is offline Village Governor

My Oscar came to me like this. I put a dog boot on the foot in question when we went for walks. I kept duct taping the area of the boot that was wearing to keep it from developing a hole. After a few months, when his muscle tone improved, we no longer needed it.

If Chloe is a wiggler, it will be easier to stuff her foot into a boot than wrap it up.

OK, calling the vet at 7am and stopping at CVS to get the bandage on my way to work.

I just hate seeing it bleed on walks when she is otherwise having the time of her life!! She never touches it, and isn't limping and never even licks it.

Ugh, it's always something isn't it?

Thanks you guys :)

+ Reply to Thread