Hacking noise
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hacking noise

yankgirl13 is offline Village Mayor

Default Hacking noise

Mookie has been making this hacking noise. It sounds like he's about to throw up, but nothing comes up. It first started last night when he was playing with a new toy that Santa brought. He would bark and play with it then start the hacking noise.

He's been eating normal - if not more. Only new things he's been eating is his bully stick and peanut butter filled kong (which he would swallow if he could).

Has anyone experienced this? The hacking comes and goes. At first I thought he was choking on something, but there is usually nothing in his mouth. Should we just bring him to the vet or is this a normal occurrence?

PS - he lost his first baby tooth! :)

Thanks everyone!

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

sounds like it could be a reverse sneeze. when he does it blow gently in his face, that usually helps it stop.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

Donnag is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by puglover22 View Post
    sounds like it could be a reverse sneeze. when he does it blow gently in his face, that usually helps it stop.
    Yup that is what it sounds like. Both of mine do this, I just sit with them and pet them softly, I have not tried to blow gently blow in there face, I will next time to see if it helps.
    It's nothing to be worried about but it is a scary sound and sight.
    Donna, Vivian and Stewie..... Rupert forever in my heart

Candace is offline Village Admiral

It could be a reverse sneeze or possibly a cold. Watch for goopy eyes and nose, that would tell you it is a cold or kennel cough.
    Here is a link about reverse sneezing http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...S=0&C=0&A=2335

Love the name of your pug! My Mookie was a rescue that I got when he was just under a year old. He is now 7. He has palate issues and reverse sneezes quite often.
    ~ Mookie 7 Yrs. ~ Salvador 9 Yrs. ~ Mocha 8 Yrs. ~
    My cats
    Lily 16yrs.
    and Rosie 18yrs., waiting at the Bridge
    Rescue a pug www.pugalug.com
    Pugalug Rescue Application Coordinator
    Fostermom to Vincent

I'm not sure what it is. Since I'm at work, I'm even more of a nervous nelly. At least he's home with his daddy. Actually David just told me that he just spit up on him. He said it just looked like spit. Just whiteish clear stuff.

I don't know about the kennel cough. He just got his first shot (up the nose) of his bordella vaccine. The vet said he should get it since we take him to the dog park every day.

Could it be from the bully stick? He chews on that like there's no tomorrow and now the one end is getting gummy and gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    It could be a reverse sneeze or possibly a cold. Watch for goopy eyes and nose, that would tell you it is a cold or kennel cough.
    Here is a link about reverse sneezing http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...S=0&C=0&A=2335

Love the name of your pug! My Mookie was a rescue that I got when he was just under a year old. He is now 7. He has palate issues and reverse sneezes quite often.
    When I was 7 I had a stuffed pug that I named Mookie. My mom said I walked around and told everyone when I grow up I'm going to get a real dog named Mookie.

GatsbysMom is offline Village Puppy

Has he been tested for worms recently? One sign of roundworm is that the dog coughs it up because it tickles his throat and then swallows it, which is why dogs usually have to be dewormed several times especially when they are puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by GatsbysMom View Post
    Has he been tested for worms recently? One sign of roundworm is that the dog coughs it up because it tickles his throat and then swallows it, which is why dogs usually have to be dewormed several times especially when they are puppies.
    When we got him about a month ago, she said he was dewormed. We gave a stool sample after our first vet visit and she said it was ok. How do they get worms? He's not a poop eater, but he does like to nibble on sticks he finds on walks. Also I gave him is first heartworm pill on Saturday.

Should I check the poop for worms (which will be daddy's job)?

ViralMD is offline None

First, this is NOT worms. Dogs that have severe roundworms (and only with SEVERE roundworms regurgitate them up) look quite ill, as a rule. Second, it takes a laboratory exam of the stool to see any ova (eggs) or parasites, the fresher the better. The stool is ground up in water and spun in a centrifuge and then the sediment is examined under a microscope. This isn't something you can do at home. Constant regular worming is not necessary unless you let your dog drink from streams and standing water outside. And worming should NEVER be done unless you know exactly which worm is the problem: one drug doesn't get rid of all of the various species. That's why you need to bring stool to the vet.

It could be kennel cough. The vaccine against Bordetella is effective (the nasal vaccine is also better than the injected vaccine) but it takes two weeks or so for ANY immunity to be present. And the vaccine also doesn't protect against all the organisms that cause kennel cough - just the major ones.

Third, dogs don't get colds. Their respiratory trees are too warm to allow propagation of Rhinovirus, the major cause of the common cold. They CAN, however, get bacterial infections of the respiratory tree.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

+ Reply to Thread