disc disease
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: disc disease

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

Default disc disease

Poor Rudy. Monday she was walking really slow on our regular hike, Bill actually carried her. Then yesterday and today, she's been having these episodes where she stands really hunched over, just wants to sit down and she's shaking (from pain). But inbetween these episodes she seems like herself......

The vet thinks it may be disc disease, but she's also lost 2 pounds since Sept, so we had bloodwork done as well (should have results tomorrow). Rudy is almost 10

Anyone have experience with this?
    I've been trying to read as much as I can, but I'm still confused...obviously she should do as little as possible right now. My vet didn't say to keep her crated, is that something I should do? When/if she feels better can she resume normal activity? Rudy's been retired from agility for a couple of years and she really doesn't jump up and down from furniture, but she does go on a LOT of walks.....and quite honestly I can't imagine living with her if she can't get a lot of exercise daily, she can have quite the attitude with her sisters and I've noticed she gets far worse when she doesn't get out on a good hike daily.
    Last edited by jwestoverpug; 02-18-2009 at 03:47 PM.
    Jesse and the pugs
    Rudy "Stop These Feet from Dancin NA OAJ"
    Willy "Bishop's Willy the Kid NA OAJ"
    Kittie "CH MACH CandyLand's Sugar Babie NAP NJP OAP AJP CGC"
    Abby "Pennwood's Rising Star AX AXJ NAP NJP CGC"
    Indy, "Pasun's Trip To The Moon OA NAJ" papillon in training

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

sorry to hear this! I have no experience with this particularly, but I have used a chiropractor before on Junior and Louie with great results.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06 and my 2 angels waiting at the bridge....the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06, and the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84

Puglove2 is offline Village Dr. McSweetie

basil had some disc problems as well - at least that's what the vet figured it was. he would get these painful episodes where he was hunched over. we did not have to put him on crate rest, but we kept an eye on him so he was not doing anything too dangerous, like jumping up/down from couches. he was on anti-inflammatory meds and that seemed to help. everything settled down within a week. i'm still very careful with him, because i do not want it to happen again.

good luck with rudy. poor thing.

it was also suggested to us to use a chiropractor or dog physiotherapist. i feel bad because i never got around to it and then basil was fine, but i think that would be a good idea for sure.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. (Roger Caras)

Charlie on Dogster - Our angel, taken too soon, waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge - Please check out the CREATE fund for GME research in Yorkies
    http://www.yorkieangelpatrol.com/gme.htm
    http://www.dogster.com/?99046

Winston on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/?99048

Basil on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/?167623

Violet on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=309585

And now Milo, the puppy that made us smile again.
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/658530

crazypugmom is offline Village Admiral

Chyna will turn 9 in June. Over a year ago, she began to drop some poop here and there which continued to get worse. She does have control of her bladder. She wasn't able to jump up on the couch and was starting to walk a little funny. She also began dragging her feet just a little. I took her for an mri which showed degenerative disk disease. Surgery would not correct the problem but could possibly halt the progression. After much discussion, I felt that putting her through such a huge surgery now would not be in her best interest. So, I have been taking her for acupuncture which has really helped her. However, you may want to keep your pug from much activity for 4-6 weeks incase there is inflammation right now. You may also want to try some antiinflammatories as well.

I was told that Chyna should not be going up and down stairs so we built a ramp for her to get into the yard. She isn't supposed to jump up and down from furniture which she sometimes jumps before I can lift her down, but we try to limit her. We do take her for very short walks when the weather is nice, but you can tell that she tires easily, and it shows in her back legs.

For quite a while, she was walking around looking all sad. I really believe the acupuncture has helped her, and she is now walking around with her tail curled and actually looking happy. Chiropratic care might help as well, but you never want to do any manipulations as long as there is active swelling in the spine.

Regular xrays didn't show us much other then a slight narrowing of the spine. I went ahead with the mri incase there was a tumor or something else that could possibly have been helped by surgery.
    Leslye, Chyna, Tinker, Ruffy and husband Tim &
    our angels Pugsly and Taz waiting for us in heaven

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption

www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

http://www.dogster.com/family/766626

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

Thanks, I'll look into acupuncture. Rudy has been to a chiropractor & massage therapist, not recently though, I'll make sure she does.

The vet did prescribe rimadyl, that stuff scares me though! Generally I give them homeopathic arnica whenever they're sore.

Rudy just has never seemed like an "senior" dog, she didn't even start to settle down until she turned 7...it's hard to think of her as aging.
    Jesse and the pugs
    Rudy "Stop These Feet from Dancin NA OAJ"
    Willy "Bishop's Willy the Kid NA OAJ"
    Kittie "CH MACH CandyLand's Sugar Babie NAP NJP OAP AJP CGC"
    Abby "Pennwood's Rising Star AX AXJ NAP NJP CGC"
    Indy, "Pasun's Trip To The Moon OA NAJ" papillon in training

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

Do see if you can find the chiro and do some acupuncture too!

I'm trying what Janelle uses on her dogs for inflammation instead of duramax. Have only had Solo and Kelev on it due to their arthritis. Both seem to be doing well!! It's natural! Duralactin

Hope your Rudy is feelin much better soon!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

Jesse:
    I have used Traumeel for joint/arthritic/disc pain and it has worked well. I get it at my local health food store. The only one who doesn't do well on it is Tank as he has a ton of plant allergies.

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

Poor little Rudy. I hope with treatment you can make her comfortable and still have a good level of activity. Might be time to get a stroller for her.
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

This is the site that Janelle sent me:

http://www.countrysidepet.com/index....arch=GO&Page=1

She said she had some trouble with having it shipped...but mine came within days.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

pugsmum is offline Village Mayor

If you don't give her any meds, you probably don't have to crate her. If, however, you give pain or anit-inflammatory drugs, make sure you keep her crated, as she could definitely do more damage without realizing it.

Spines can be so tricky .........and irreversible if enough damage is done, so I would really err on the safe side.The sooner a definite diagnosis is confirmed, the better for a plan of recovery.

We have 5 spinal injured pugs, all rescued after the fact. But we do have medical records on a few, and in every single case, the pugs have out-done the prognosis by a long way. So be realistic, but don't trust your vet completely, and give her the benefit of the doubt.

Be sure and let us know how you make out. I don't want to be too long here, but if you need any more info, give me an e-mail.
    Joan, owned by Faith, Samson, Solomon, Louie, Casper, Brutus, Sarah, Bella, and Peanut

+ Reply to Thread