Anal Gland! Please Help!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anal Gland! Please Help!

Acbaker_03 is offline Village Puppy

Exclamation Anal Gland! Please Help!

We got Yoshi a few months ago. After a few weeks of having him we noticed a really "fishy" smell coming from him. We took him to the vet and the vet emptied out his anal glands and said we should be fine. Well, he leaked for the next 4 nights in a row. We took him back to the vet and the vet gave him an injection of antibiotics into the glands, some oral antibiotics and some other stuff. We haven't had a problem for about 6 weeks.

The other night this started to happen again. This time smell is not so "fishy" but really Metallic. The only time his glands leak is later on at night when he is ready to fall asleep. His eyes get real heavy and then he starts sniffing his butt and you can smell it. We tried to express them tonight but nothing came out for us.

Has anyone else had this happen? I know lots of pugs have anal gland issues but his are ONLY at night! It seems to be when he gets really relaxed. I'm not sure what to do and we can't afford to keep taking him to the vet to have injections into them.

Katie-N-Stella is offline Village VP

I would read MaryJo's post on how to express them. It happens to Stella when she's really relaxed too. You might want to check youtube, there was a video I had to watch a few times before I finally got the hang of it.

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

I don't have any advice, but it seems the only time my pugs anal glands leak is when she is really relaxed and sitting in my lap

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

If it's metallic, there might be more infection. Isis's infection lasted for a fairly long time.

Try giving about 1/4 teaspoon of psyllium husk with each meal. It helped for Isis. I also got something from Marina Zacharis that I gave along with the antibiotic from the vet.

marina@naturalrearing.com
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Acbaker_03 is offline Village Puppy

Yes it happens when he's sitting in my lap. We took him to get the glands expressed this morning and they said they were only about half full and looked normal. We're going to try giving him some pumpkin again and watching his stools.

chrisandroxy is offline Village Puppy

6 weeks is a long time to build up with fluid again. I have to express Roxy's at least every two weeks. It helps to cut down on the leaking, and yes, it does seem to occur when she is relaxing. It also helps to express when she is sleeping and relaxing.
    Chris (Roxy's mom)

+ Reply to Thread