Gabapentin
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gabapentin

silverlady is offline Village Admiral

Default Gabapentin

Delilah is on this drug and after having spoken to Almandine about Onion, I noticed something weird. She is sort of spaced out (but that's probably being on this and Rimadyl) and her whiskers are going backwards and forwards as if she is about to woof, you know the thing?
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." - John Ruskin

pugsmum is offline Village Mayor

What did your vet prescribe this for? It is usually used for epilepsy. Some of the side effects are nervousness and twitching.

It is important to know why she is on this, and if another medication might work without side effects.

My vet told me several years ago to pick up some chlortripolon at the drug store for Faith and her allergies. I made a mistake and got the non-drowsy kind, and it completely spaced her out! She was a completely different dog. I went back to the vet, and she said "oh yes don't get the non-drowsy kind or it can kill them as it contains stimulants" This might have been nice to know before-hand. Faiths reaction sounded like your girl, and sometimes you have to put up with side effects, and sometimes you can just switch to another drug that won't react with her in that way.

I would contact the vet and let him/her know right away.

Good luck.
    Joan, owned by Faith, Samson, Solomon, Louie, Casper, Brutus, Sarah, Bella, and Peanut

They are using it for her disc neurological pain, she has now just eaten my chicken chow mein whilst the decorators were here giving a quote, it's all getting very strange!!!
    However, she seems quite herself and happier tonight...
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." - John Ruskin

Almandine is offline Village Healing Hands

Joan, Maisie has been prescribed the same meds. Yes, they are primarily used as an anti convulsant for controlling epilepsy.

They are for neurologically generated pain. There is an alternative, the drug cepra does the same thing but is a little different. I found it also had a weird effect with Onion. We settled back on the regular opiate pain meds.

I usually ask Alice about anything medical where drugs are at issue. This is what she had to say about Gabapentin last year -
    Quote Originally Posted by ViralMD
    Almandine, so sorry that Onion had a bad reaction to the gabapentin. We actually make that drug and it's marketed under the name Neurontin here. I don't think it's approved for veterinary use, but that's not the first time a drug used for people has been used in animals.

Regarding the reaction Onion had, this is from the prescribing information for Neurontin:

WARNINGS: Neuropsychiatric Adverse Events—Pediatric Patients 3-12 years of age

Gabapentin use in pediatric patients with epilepsy 3–12 years of age is associated with the occurrence of central nervous system related adverse events. The most significant of these can be classified into the following categories: 1) emotional lability (primarily behavioral problems), 2) hostility, including aggressive behaviors, 3) thought disorder, including concentration problems and change in school performance, and 4) hyperkinesia (primarily restlessness and hyperactivity). Among the gabapentin-treated patients, most of the events were mild to moderate
    in intensity.

In controlled trials in pediatric patients 3–12 years of age the incidence of these adverse events was: emotional lability 6% (gabapentin-treated patients) vs 1.3% (placebo-treated patients); hostility 5.2% vs 1.3%; hyperkinesia 4.7% vs 2.9%; and thought disorder 1.7% vs 0%. One of
    these events, a report of hostility, was considered serious.

Discontinuation of gabapentin treatment occurred in 1.3% of patients reporting emotional lability and hyperkinesia and 0.9% of
    gabapentin-treated patients reporting hostility and thought disorder. One placebo-treated patient (0.4%) withdrew due to emotional lability.
    Onion started stealing food too, when she was on it! Lol!

I am glad Delilah is seeming better!
    Last edited by Almandine; 04-20-2009 at 01:22 PM.
    Almandine and the gang - George, Dannika, Darwishi (Wish) and Pickle.... and who knows.... maybe a new little boy too...

Samson, Treacle, Maisie and the beautiful Onion at the Bridge. In our hearts forever.

Yes what Delilah has is quite weird.- I am watching her now as her little muzzle is twitching away,but she is happy as larry in herself and quite her normal happy self.
    This illness is the very best reason to cover these wooden floors with carpet which I will do in order to aid her mobility.

+ Reply to Thread