Supplements for Chronic UTI's
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supplements for Chronic UTI's

pugs4life is offline Village Mayor

Default Supplements for Chronic UTI's

Rocky has chronic UTI issues. Even though I work at a animal hospital, I also believe that there is a place for natural and homeopathic remedies. So I was hoping that I could hear some suggestions on supplements, and homeopathic remedies that have helped other pug and none puggy parents help out with their babies chronic UTI's.

Because of his chronic UTI's I test his pee about every 3 months sometimes more often to check for crystals, and UTI's. He has been xrayed to see if there are stones but there hasn't been so far. I make sure there is plenty of water bowls down with fresh and clean water changed multiple times a day. He gets walked for several small walks and at least 2 long walks so he can empty his bladder everyday as well. I add water to his food to also get some more water in him. So far he is doing okay, but they spring up on him, so I was hoping for some supplement suggestions to help out.

Thanks for any info guys!
    Melissa
    ~ Melissa ~ Owned by Rocky, Gizmo, and Eva the Diva~

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

I give methionine.....I get it from Natures Farmacy.......it's pure...give 1/16teaspoon twice a day.

I also give Solid Gold Berry Balance 3x week.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

crazypugmom is offline Village Admiral

The woman who runs the Music City Pug Rescue says that Solid Gold Berry Balance will help and add apple cider vinegar to their food.

I tried the berry balance once but did not see any improvement, but it would be worth a try
    Leslye, Chyna, Tinker, Ruffy and husband Tim &
    our angels Pugsly and Taz waiting for us in heaven

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption

www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

http://www.dogster.com/family/766626

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

As an aside....be careful how much you add to their food.....

I once gave Nikki what I give.....and apple cider vinegar....she ended up going the opposite direction....to calcium oxide crystals. I stopped that and she was fine.

What I gave is for sturvite crystals only!!! Do not give unless you ask for calcium oxide crystals!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

luvnpugs is offline Village Governor

As long as there are no crystal of either kind, you can give her a cranberry supplement. I give them the ones I take for myself. Its ok if its the struvite crystals, but do not give a cranberry supplement with the calcium oxylate crystals. For a chronic UTI only, no crystals I have had success with a cranberry supplement. Make sure she is drinking enough water.
    Mary Carpenter
    Rest in peace my sweet Sledgehammer.
    12/06/99-07/03/08

PugLady3 is offline Village Royalty

Has your vet done a urine culture to find out what kind of bacteria is causing the infections? It may just be that they are not prescribing the right antibiotic & it's not completely killing off whatever's there. Or maybe they've prescribed the same thing several times & he is building up a resistance to it? I have a foster pug who has had a similar problem. Knock wood...she has been UTI free since last December. This is the longest that she's ever gone without one since being with me (about a year & a half now). Now keep in mind, she has spinal/back end issues that come into play too so I have to express her bladder 4-5 times per day to make sure that she's completely voiding all of her urine.

Anywho...we've tried Solid Gold's Berry Balance & Animal Apawthecary's Tinkle Tonic and neither have made a huge difference (I think the Tinkle Tonic worked the best of the two, despite the funny name ). One of our other foster mom's swears by it. I have read that switching to a raw diet is one of the best things that you can do for a dog with chronic bladder issues. It has a naturally higher moisture content & is healthier in general.
    Brenda, Bella, Duke, Yoda (hospice), Mae (hospice), Zoe (foster) and
    our angels Pugsy, Buster, & Bud waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption (NIPRA)

LindaR/pugma is offline Village Governor

I add 1/4 tsp of D-mannose powder to their food in the am and pm. You can order it online (it's cheaper) at Nutricity.com. It coats the bladder and helps prevent bladder infections and bladder infections can create struvite crystals.
    Linda

Owned by Zoe, Abby, Ally & Gracie and most recently Buddy

ewoodpugz is offline Village Admiral

Coconut oil is supposed to be anti-bacterial and useful in combating human UTIS. Just a teaspoon with the kibble would be ok.
    Rebecca, and her puggies Miss Emma, Mickey, Arthur and Marmite.

Forever missing my beloved Albert, waiting for us at the bridge.

Old Mother Hubbard is offline Village Admiral

We add coconut oil and Omega 3/5/9 and a good probiotic daily. I test their PH every week. It runs in the 6.5 area. I also flood their food to get extra water into them.
    My 4 sons Winston Wellington Nelson and Cromwell.
    www.pugvillageofhope.info/

pugsmum is offline Village Mayor

D-mannose is good, also glucosamine. I get all my handicapped to drink tons of water by giving a dish of about 1/2 cup water and a pinch of tuna. I give them this 3-5 times a day. Lots and lots of water WILL work. Dry kibble is one of the worst things ever for dogs esp small ones.

If you google cartrophen, you will see that it was originally for bladder issues, and can make a difference.
    Joan, owned by Faith, Samson, Solomon, Louie, Casper, Brutus, Sarah, Bella, and Peanut

+ Reply to Thread