Flying with pugs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying with pugs

aronnyc is offline Village Puppy

Default Flying with pugs

Hi,

I'm trying to do some research about flying with pugs. I know that it's a dangerous idea, and it's something I will avoid as much as possible. But if I absolutely have no choice, I want to know what any of your experiences are. Specifically, I mean flying internationally.

I'll avoid flying in the summer, but I was wondering if any of you who have flown with pugs and what your experiences have been. For example:

* Any airlines that are particularly good or bad?
    * The websites or services that say they can move your pet for you, are they any good?
    * Any alternatives I have that many don't consider?
    * Any thoughts regarding using sedatives?

My pug is healthy, so he's not a puppy or a senior. Any thoughts or advice you can provide will be of great help.

Thank you all.

emanderniepug is offline Village Governor

I don't have any advice for you, but I saw this article yesterday about pet travel, and I thought it might be of interest. Most of the article probably isn't much help, since the point is why pets shouldn't travel, and I know you probably know all that and will only do it if absolutely necessary. But the part I thought might be useful had the statistics for the number of pet deaths on the different major carriers. After seeing this article, I'd probably skip Continental and American if possible.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31129066/

I've also heard many times on here from others that pugs shouldn't fly cargo, but I have no personal experience. Good luck!
    Emily and Ernie "Banks" Pug

Let's Go Cubbies
    (Woof, Woof, Woofwoofwoof)

shaynapug is online now Village Royalty

I'm thinking I'm going to have to fly with Isis July 5th due to her eye injury.

I fly with her in the cabin. Have flown with her before...in a sherpa bag under the seat and she was fine!!!

Now tho Spirit is the cheapest and it's $100 each way just to have her with me.

Will also have to pay 12 each way to pick out a seat so that I get the one with the most room in front of it under the seat!

18for the first bag of luggage...so I'm going to try to take a regular suitcase and put a folding cloth cage inside it! Will also put her food in there.

I LOVE having her with me!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Senator

I've always flown with all of my furkids, in cabin only though! They all have been great travelers and I've flown all the major airlines that take pets in cabin, I actually have found Continental to be more pet friendly than some of the others. I do mostly fly United because I have so many miles and I have to tell you the most frustrating thing I find with them is they tell you you must have a health cert and I can tell you after logging more than 200K miles with my furkids I've only been asked maybe 2 times to present it.
    The most important thing to do before you fly is to get them used to a Sherpa type bag, I've seen plenty of people show up at the airport and try to put their furkid in for the first time there and wonder why they don't like it I've never had to put mine in cargo and I can honestly say I'd probably find another way to travel before I did that to them, although I've never had to try and go overseas with them so I guess I've been lucky. Good luck!
    Tucker and Aggie's Mom
    In memory of my beloved "Frank" forever in my heart
    Please support PDE research!
    http://turnerpuppiesphotos.shutterfly.com

SacramentoPugs is offline Village Governor

I've flown United a couple of times cross-country with Rhoda. I had the same experience of never, ever being asked to present my (expensive, thankyouverymuch) health certificate. Ah, well. Better safe than sorry.

Rhoda has traveled a lot by car, bus and subway in her carrier bag, so she didn't make any noise on the planes -- Tuck & Ag's Mom's advice about making sure that your pug is used to a sherpa bag is excellent!

On one of our trips, a flight attendant come to me about an hour after takeoff to whisper, "Our manifest says there's a dog with you -- what kind?" After hearing Rhoda was a pug, she got all excited and even brought Rhoda a special snack during the food service. And she took Rhoda to visit the cockpit (this was pre-9/11) and apparently she was quite the hit.

I was hoping for an upgrade to first-class, but no such luck...
    Dee Dee and Marlee

jessica is offline Village Mayor

depending on where you plan to travel the process could be a little longer so you need to plan in advance.

You mention that you will travel internationally so please check regulation of the country where you will be travelling with some time so to plan ahead. Any good Veterinary should be in the position to manage the paperwork on your behalf.

Some tips based on my experience travelling with my Pug as follows:

1) If you travel to or through ( transit) the European Community then you need to cover some additional steps:

1.1) Dog need to be micro chipped,

1.2) Have the Rabies Immunity test carried out by an approved Laboratory ( you can find the approved laboratories here <http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/live...pproval_en.htm> ) ( they report results to submitting physicians and veterinarians in a minimum of 10/15 days after the sample was received by the laboratory and your dog shall have >0.5 Unit titre to be able to access/transit any European Country. This procedure can be done by your veterinary just give him the data as provided to you and let him know that he has to take sample according to sample procedure and send the sample to the lab through express currier refrigerated - This test is done once in the life of the animal and is actually showing that he is immunized against rabies ( you then keep the certificate for future travel) cost is around 60$ + vet intermediation

1.3) European Passport ( optional) is just a form with attached the above 2 pre requisites ( microchip and rabies test) plus all immunizations
    So far in 6 years my dog documents were checked only twice-but again you never know and better be prepared

2) As advised Sherpa soft sided carriers are airline approved ( I use a Medium size for an 8Kg pug- tough is a little bit too thigh but he is used to it since he was 6 months old!!!) you just check what are the dimension of the carrier that fit your dog size and weight and compare with the requirement of the specific airline. Get your dog used to the bag in advance. I leave the bag open and my pug often get inside for a nap so make sure the carrier is part of his surroundings and lifestyle an he/she gets used a to it in advance- no surprise (get him to sleep in the carrier, put toys inside, go for walks, treats, food- in general you have to associate the carrier with positive experience for your dog )

3) No tranquilizers- after your dog is familiar with the carrier, then his experience will not be traumatic buy enjoyable as he will be with you all the time. Pet him frequently during the flight so he will feel reassured-gently reprimand any barking/aggressive behaviour before escalating

4) No food/water during the flight specifically if it is a long one- When in transit you may give him a treat and bring him in the toilet to pee on a pee pad ( disposable pads for dogs)- Toilets for disabled are more spacious so if he gets used to pee on the disposable pad you may let him relieve minimising the holding time and possible accidents!!)- be prepared is the secret like with young children

5) Always travel with Pet in Cabin, never put your pug in the hold/cargo- Check with the airline ( airline web page under baggage or services) if the pet is allowed to travel in the cabin, also confirm allowed carrier size and weight Limit.. When booking your flight make sure they also book your pet in cabin as there are limits in numbers of pets on board. I travel Lufthansa for most European and non European destinations and they are good ( if you abide by the rules then NO problems) limit with Lufthansa is 8Kg ( often they allow a deviation, my dog for example is 9 Kg) . I know that Air France limit is 6Kg, KLM 6Kg, Delta 10KG, so depends .....you better always check before booking

If you need any further advice feel free to PM

cheers
    Carla & Jessie
    Last edited by jessica; 06-10-2009 at 03:12 AM.

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

I've flown several times all without any issues. Always in cabin, I prefer "sturdibags" and in the weeks before the flight treated the bag just like their regular crate (which they love). I never sedated them. Once we were on board I pretty much just left them alone, the more I check on them, the more wound up they get.
    Jesse and the pugs
    Rudy "Stop These Feet from Dancin NA OAJ"
    Willy "Bishop's Willy the Kid NA OAJ"
    Kittie "CH MACH CandyLand's Sugar Babie NAP NJP OAP AJP CGC"
    Abby "Pennwood's Rising Star AX AXJ NAP NJP CGC"
    Indy, "Pasun's Trip To The Moon OA NAJ" papillon in training

ViralMD is offline None

Only Air France permits dogs in the cabin internationally. And then the dog WITH the carrier can only weigh 7kg!!
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

aronnyc is offline Village Puppy

Default Thanks

Thank you all for your replies! It's been very helpful. I'm just starting my research and all this is good.

Do any of you happen to know which airline has the highest weight limit for carryon pets? As many of you suggested, I do not wish to put my pug in the cargo, but my pug is large for the breed. He's not overweight though, 'cause I just asked my vet that yesterday, and he told me that he's just a big pug, but unfortunately, he's around 24 lbs.

I assume airlines are very fussy about the weights.

Thanks.

shaynapug is online now Village Royalty

i've never had isis weighed. She weighs more than 15 lbs... have never had trouble getting her on the plane with me.

I've flown spirit.
    Last edited by shaynapug; 06-12-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast