Exercise and luxating patella
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exercise and luxating patella

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

Default Exercise and luxating patella

I was wondering if anyone had experience with their pug having a luxating patella and you have NOT done the surgery. I haven't talked with the vet any more about it because they seem to always recommend surgery, but a couple of internet websites said surgery isn't always needed or a good idea. I have been concerned about how much running or walking MuShu should do with this condition. One site said the knee area can be strengthened by having the dog walk up an incline. But how much should we walk her I wonder? We haven't been walking MuShu out of concern, but she is so bored and being denied a dog's favorite activity. What should I do? Any advice out there?

TNPUGMOMOF2 is offline Village Royalty

Light to moderate leash walking is a good idea and can strengthen the muscles in the leg and around the knee. It's the impact and jumping that can cause problems. Uphill is good. My foster has a lux patella, but no problems with it. No pain, no limping, nothing. So until she has issues, there is really no need to do the surgery. She may never need it. It is a hard recovery. In her case she is older too, and not horribly active, so since she does not have a problem with it, we have decided to leave it. Need to control weight carefully and keep them on a joint supplement forever. It won't help the knee get better, but it will help other issues from causing pain.
    Marci - pugmom to Lola, Bella, Hank & BIG brother Odin the English Mastiff.

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Penguin Wrangler

It really depends on how bad it is. My bt wasn't even using that leg, holding it up and walking on three legs, so I decided to do the surgery and she is doing great now.

If it's not causing her obvious pain, I would take her for short walks while on a leash and avoid jumping.

Christa, Mom to Toby & Kelsey

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Abby's Mom is offline Village Admiral

My Zoie has a Lux Patella. I did not do the surgery. I went to see the old vet I used to work with and he specialized in knee's but now he is in pain management. He advised me to use Cosequin and do some therapy with her. Her knee is never in her socket it is permanently to the side. She is a puppy mill dog and he figures it has been like that all her life, she was five when I got her and took her to see him. He said she already had arthritis in the knee and surgery would not make that better. She is now 7 and doing great.

At first she was really ginger with the knee and only a few months after starting the Cosequin she was a whole new girl. Now she never favors the knee.
    Chris
    Abby aka da purity
    Zoie
    Mad Max
    DH Rick
    And Cool Cats Sydney and Sabre

Visit me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...23837&ref=name

A I hope if dogs ever take over the world and they choose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are little dogs with some good ideas.
    ~Marc-Christophe

Thank you so, so much. I feel so much better now. MuShu doesn't have pain or limps or anything. Only notice it when she tries to jump up on our laps or goes into major pugtona. She has learned to jump up using her unaffected rear leg. Can't stop her from doing pugtona, as you well would understand. My last pug had the condition in both legs but was too old to do surgery. I agree that unless it really causes MuShu problems, I won't do the surgery. I realize the recovery is hard too. I figured keeping her weight down would help too and since she has been on the BARF diet, she is nice a trim. Thanks again. I'll start her walks again.

cwitt is offline Village Admiral

Franklin also has it and our vet has advised not doing the surgery unless he becomes much worse. He still runs and walks, some times when he first gets up he comes up limp but once he gets moving he doesn't seem to be in pain. The vet said over the years of doing the surgery verses the benefits he doesn't recomend it in cases like Franklin.
    Connie
    Pugs-Sir Franklin, Captain Jack and General Douglas
    Cats-Snowy and Stubbs
    Husband-Mike
    Non fur kids--Eric, Shawn, Steph and Mikey
    Grand daughters -- Olivia and Sophie

Cheyenne is offline Village Admiral

My daughter's Pug, Piper, has had a luxating patella for years. He has never required surgery. It depends on the grade, I believe. Piper's just "pops out" once in a great while and he usually pops it back in himself. On those rare occasions that it doesn't go back, the vet showed my son in law how to pop it back. Their vet said unless it gets worse, surgery isn't needed. He's 8 years old now and still going strong.
    Unseen they suffer, Unheard they cry.
    In agony they linger, In loneliness they die.
    Please adopt. Don't Buy.

Sandie, Mama to Suki and Milo

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

Exercise is fine, ideally off leash walking on a varied surface like a hiking trail, sand or snow is best.

My oldest pug Rudy was diagnosed with LP when she was young, it's never effected her at all. To this day she hikes at least an hour every day, and even competed in agility for a number of years. She's 10.5 now!
    Jesse and the pugs
    Rudy "Stop These Feet from Dancin NA OAJ"
    Willy "Bishop's Willy the Kid NA OAJ"
    Kittie "CH MACH CandyLand's Sugar Babie NAP NJP OAP AJP CGC"
    Abby "Pennwood's Rising Star AX AXJ NAP NJP CGC"
    Indy, "Pasun's Trip To The Moon OA NAJ" papillon in training

Wow, agility! That is amazing. Well, thanks again everyone. I was feeling like a bad mama before because I hadn't rushed her into surgery, but I also had to listen to my mama instincts NOT to rush her into surgery!! Does that make sense? Anyway, my vet did show me how to pop her knee back in but it usually does it on its own pretty quickly, at least for now. I'd better get her walking up an incline, etc. to build up those muscles around the patella, hadn't I? Thanks guys!

+ Reply to Thread