White powder / crystals in urine
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White powder / crystals in urine

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Default White powder / crystals in urine

Somebody has an issue, and it appears to be one of my boys (pug boys!) by the location of the urine.

My son left a pair of jeans on the floor in the laundry room and one of my boys decided to mark it sometime last night or this morning.

When I found it, it looked almost like a bird had pooped on his jeans, it was very white. Upon closer examination it was like a crystalline powder, very sparkly...lol....quite festive given the season. However, NOT what I want to see coming out of my dogs!

I know, I know, it's not THAT. Has a definite, pungent urine odor and the way it was placed on the pile of dirty clothes it was obviously deposited AFTER the jeans were dumped there.

Anything I should do to figure out which of my five did this and any home remedies to keep them from developing into stones or worse? What is the danger from these crystals?

Take care,
    Lisa

In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

You need to have urine checked!!! That boy needs meds ASAP! Bladder infections hurt.....and a build of the crystals can cause more damage.

Here's what a friend does for heartworm testing. She puts blood in a vial from 3 dogs.....She has more than that. She then takes it in to be tested. If one vial comes back positive ..then she tests only those dogs.

You could do that with the urine if you cannot afford 5 separate tests...but the earlier this is caught the better.

I cannot catch urine from my boys that lift! When they see me...or anyone coming with the laddle..they stop peeing and step in the laddle!! So, I take them in and get them catheterized. It doesn't cost any more to do that and they get a clean catch that way so nothing interferes.

The smell is infection.....and antibiotics are needed. The sparkle is crystals....and you have to find out what kind before doing anything about that! If you treat blindly you can cause more problems. I can help with sturvite crystals!!!

Let us know how things go!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Damn, they know how to drain the wallet at Xmas time, don't they?

Take care,
    Lisa

- Mohandas Gandhi

Okay, just got off the phone with my regular vet. They want me to isolate them all and find out who is doing it. They said they can't do 4 at once. I know it wasn't Bear, because he had a full blood and urine panel done 2 weeks ago and he was clean.

Take care,
    Lisa

- Mohandas Gandhi

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Good luck. They always find the exact worst time to have a problem don't they? Hope you can isolate the one responsible soon and get him sorted quick.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Well it was Marty. I suspected him and they did him first and sure enough he had struvite crystals. They didn't bother cathing the others. They gave me Uroeze to reduce his urine Ph (it was 8!) and Baytril for infection, he said there was not much infection, but a lot of crystals.

They wanted me to buy the SD urinary, but I declined. I figured I'd work off the suggestions here and see how we do.

While there I had him check Bugsy, my super allergy pug, because he's been itching again lately. I told him we had a load of firewood delivered and he had been out enjoying chewing the bark and began itching, so I assumed he was allergic to it. We blocked it off so he couldn't get to the wood, but a week later he is still itching.

The vet gave him a cortisone injection and said if it's the wood, when the injection wears off in 2-3 weeks he won't itch. However if he has developed an allergy to his food, he will begin to itch again. He suggested SD ZD/ultra for him and explained that reather than trying to eliminate the antigen, like I am doing now, the SD hydrolizes it so it can't react.

What do you guys think?

Thanks and take care,
    Lisa
    Last edited by 6 Beautiful Pugs; 12-22-2009 at 03:45 PM.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Cheyenne is offline Village Admiral

I think you were very wise to decline the SD. Vets all like to push SD as the answer to every problem, and I know sometimes it might be the only answer, but my personal opinion of SD is that I would not feed it to any dog of mine unless it was absolutely, positively the only food that would keep him/her alive.
    Unseen they suffer, Unheard they cry.
    In agony they linger, In loneliness they die.
    Please adopt. Don't Buy.

Sandie, Mama to Suki and Milo

Puggered is offline Village Mayor

Lisa, there is a very long thread on my local BB re natural feeding and monitoring of a pug with struvite crystals.
    I will send you a PM with the link, for everyone else's benefit, it boils down to keeping the acidity (ph) levels of the bladder to a point which discourages the bacteria involved. Cranberry juice and citric acid have also helped some with the balancing. Testing ph of urine frequently is a key in monitoring.

+ Reply to Thread