+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bug-eyed pup!

mar
    mar is offline Village Puppy

Default bug-eyed pup!

I'm new to this, and about to adopt a pug puppy... but
    I have a question that no website seems to have the answer to - so
    I figured I'd ask you all... the experts. :)

I'm planning to adopt a pug puppy from a breeder.
    I had the chance to see them in person - and needless to say; they are absolutely adorable.
    The one in particular that we want to get is about 2 months old and extremely BUG-EYED!
    It definitely wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.. but I'm curious to know if this is more prominent in
    pug puppies, and eventually 'even out' as they get older? lol
    I can't believe I'm asking - but again - I'm new to this. Curious to know

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Wall-eyed or bug-eyed? I would be very cautious with a pup who's eyes bug out really far, they will be far more prone to eye injuries or catastrophes, like the eye popping out of the socket. Wall eyes, or eyes that look out to the sides, are not a concern unless you are planning on breeding or showing the dog. Do you have any pics?

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

What Lisa said. If the problem is the eyes looking out in different directions this is not unusual and frequently improves as the pug ages.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Charlie Baby is offline Village Mayor

Charlie is 7 months old and his eyes still point in different directions. He's perfectly fine and it doesn't stop him from being a non-stop ball of energy!

KismetPuggies is offline Village VP

Bug eyed pugs, as Lisa stated, are much more prone to having eye issues. All pugs (most pugs) have slightly bugged eyes, but anything extreme would definitely be a deal breaker for me. I'd love to see a photo with a front and side view of the puppy.... does the breeder have a website?

Wall eyed pugs normally grow out of that a bit.. not always, but usually, and their eyes begin to straighten out around 3 - 4 months of age...

Personally, when I look for a pug, I look for one who is neither bug eyed nor wall eyed. Little Gracie comes from an excellent breeder and her eyes are perfect.. even my vet commented on how great they look.

Good luck!
    Kayte and Crew

Kismet Kennels, Exclusively Pugs

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

You have gotten some really great advice but I would just like to add that if you feel drawn to this puggie, you may be meant to get it. I feel pets pick us, actually. Yes, a bug eyed pug would need some special awareness, but if you know what to look out for ( also no collars which can put pressure on the neck and then possibly pop the eye out) and know how to care for (like how to pop the eyeball back in), I still say, you may be meant to be this puggie's mommy! Go with your gut, not your head, that is my opinion. Not practical at all, but from the heart. They need mommies too.

ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED PUGS !

Hopelessly "Pugged" ,

Cheri

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

My oldest pug Scruffy is bug eyed, she has had a bad eye injury when she ran full force into a stick, she also get dirt in her eyes easily. I acually had oinment from the vet that was recommened to use anytime her eye looked irritated. Any time she has a fight over food I check her eyes first as it is my major concern.

My last pug has wonderful eyes, however she had a liver shunt so you never know, and Bo has great eyes but wwas bit by a lab and his eye popped out. Was surgically put back and is fine today. You just never know!
    Susan, mom to Desi, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy,Bo, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

mar

what a great group of people you all are.
    I truly appreciate all the advice I've been given.
    With that said; I believe I made a mistake in my choice of words.
    (all in the process of learning)
    The pug puppy seems to be wall-eyed.
    I would love to post a picture; but I don't have the option to post from personal computer.
    Is there a way to do this, without providing a link?

KismetPuggies is offline Village VP

Wall eyed... I have two who were wall eyed pups.. one still is (due to an injury when he was a baby with his mother) and one straightened them out... Also, there are excersizes you can do with a wall eyed pug to help straighten them out and strengthen those muscles.

And MuShu's mom made a GREAT point.. puppies DO choose us.. go with your heart for a pet, and you won't go wrong!

Good luck!

PS, if you PM me, I will send you my email address and I'll collect the photos/links to post for you, if you'd like.
    Kayte and Crew

Kismet Kennels, Exclusively Pugs

mar

You are absolutely right. Every time I look at his picture, the heart grows fonder.
    I've called up the breeder, and happy to say I'll be a new mom in just over a week!
    Thanks so much for all the advice. There will definitely be more questions to come! :)
    Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast