How to tell if your pug is happy? :(
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to tell if your pug is happy? :(

jj-1962 is offline Village Mayor

Default How to tell if your pug is happy? :(

Hi

I look at my Elsa's face and she looks so sad alot of the time. Last night I started to worry she wasn't happy .

As far as I know she gets all she needs. I know they have 'sad' faces anyway but my last dog (as border collie) was constantly 'smiling' and tail waving. Elsa is soooo different. She gets 2 or 3 walks a day and now knows the word 'walk' and looks excited then. She loves meeting other dogs when out and her tail wags a little bit then. She hasn't the waggiest tail. She gets lots of cuddles etc. And she loves to play mischieviously when she picks up something she shouldn't ie a sock or tissue thats fallen - which makes me laugh whilst I chase her round the table.

So how do you know?
    JJ and of course Elsa

...that said - she is always going round in circles trying to eat her tail!!
    JJ and of course Elsa

Russ is offline Village Royalty
    Northern Virginia-Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Mz Tilly has 'weight of the world' moments. I think that every dog is different. Tilly is mostly happy, can tell just by her reactions to things, but that doesn't mean she is wagging her tail, it's her interactions. Like just now, she was sitting next to me, decided it was time to go on, but she doesn't just go, she finds something to bark at on tv as an excuse to leave...goes barks at tv, maybe throws in a bark out the window, and then a quick hop up onto her throne. She is there now, watching the TV. She plays with me about going outside, resisting my attempts to get her off the couch, or her throne. Even if she has to go, she'll resist, then suddenly pop-up and run to the door as if saying 'come on slow poke'. When she is in a really good mood she plays with her toys after her dinner, sometimes all evening. Other evenings she just watches tv.

Tilly hardly ever wags her tail with me, my parents come and it's super waggy. I think wagging while part expression of being happy is also part of 'see me, I'm cute, give me something to eat, scratch my ears, pet me' With me, she knows she'll get whatever she wants.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

lotusseeds is offline Village VP

My husband I always joke about the pug expression I will say Look honey she is really mad or sad or happy or hungry..or something" LOL!!!!. I thnk so long as your dog is not lethargic, and disinterested in human nteraction, they are "happy". When my dog is happy she is cuddling, she is chasing a ball, playing or asking for attention from the kids. When she is excied she is in full body wiggle mode and licks everythig. I think different dogs express happiness in different ways.

MYPUGGIES is offline Village Mayor

My que that one of my girls are sad are their tails. If it's uncurled and kind of hanging... we call it the "sad tail" and they usually look more sad in their little faces about something. They don't wag their tail very often at me either unless I'm coming home from going somewhere. I have to comment though that I think it's great that you're concerned about her happiness and are sensitive to her body language and expressions. My first thoughts are that she's ok and just used to you and her surroundings... plus content with her toys and food. If it makes you feel better though... watch her and make sure she's eating and drinking enough and that her poop looks normal and she's peeing without any great effort. I usually do that just in case they might be feeling a bit under the weather. Also, another thought.... it might be the icky weather. My girls have just a little less energy during the winter than the summer time. Lastly... and it's the reason why I have a whole corner designated for toys (I'm always buying a new one)... maybe go and purchase a new toy for her. They like investigating new things just like children do. Good luck ;)

Audra, Myla and Miko

Awww thanks - she's eating great and drinking and loves loves LOVES her walks where she runs around in circles, here there and everywhere. Her tail is always scrunched on her back unless asleep (I love that it uncurls when relaxed). I think its just her 'sad' look that made me wonder... she does grin when running back towards me after a good sniff at something!

I think I should stop worrying... she is a healthy 5mth old! Who is at this moment stuck upstairs (she won't come back down them and has to be carried!) so off I go again...
    JJ and of course Elsa

MYPUGGIES is offline Village Mayor

Welcome to the world of owning a cute little pug. I worry way too much about mine also. They're way too cute and have really fun personalities... so we can't help but worry once we get really attached to them...lol

diesels.mom is offline Village VP

Diesel never smiles so I get worried sometimes about whether he's happy. I base it on their tails: Diesels tail gets really going when he's happy and uncurls when he's sad or concentrated. Boo's tail wags only when he's very excited and goes limp when he's sad.

Russ is offline Village Royalty
    Northern Virginia-Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Quote Originally Posted by jj-1962 View Post
    .....Who is at this moment stuck upstairs (she won't come back down them and has to be carried!) so off I go again...
    For years now Mz Tilly has refused to use the stairs (I think she slipped, but she also has a wonky knee and front leg) So I carry her up and down. Well, I have outside steps to the basement, she's never shown an interest in going down there, just looks at most. No other dog would use them either. Well twice in the past month I've caught the invalid(joking) Mz Tilly down in the pit at the bottom, I catch her and she bounds back up knowing she was caught. I've been played for a sucker!!!!

So don't worry about the stairs, I view it as a positive, if she dissappears it's only one floor to look. She has all her toys water and food downstairs where she spends weekdays, upstairs is for sleeping. Yeah, no water but if she wakes me in the night it's either I gotta go pee or I am thirsty, or both, so we have to go downstairs anyway.
    Rarely does she wake me at night.

Ross.. she isn't supposed to go upstairs at all and I have a stair gate on the bottom, but I also own two teenagers who forget to shut it on their way up or down. We have no carpet on them so no grip and I do think Elsa has slipped down them before (not in my presence though). I have always been brought up with 'no animals upstairs'... I tried it with the cats but that was hopeless. Elsa I think will still go up when she has the opportunity, but I'm not sure she'll ever get the down bit... even on a walk yesterday there were a few stairs to go down and I had to carry her!!!!
    JJ and of course Elsa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast