Ideal Weight?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Weight?

aidy06 is offline Village Mayor

Default Ideal Weight? ***NOW WITH PICS***

Hi, Marley was at the vets yesterday for his flea and worm treatment and his monthly health check. They weighed him and said he needs to lose weight as he's overweight, he's 13months old and he weighs 8.2kg. She said he needs to get to 7.5kg, now I don't know much about a pugs ideal weight but I'm pretty sure that he isn't overweight. He's fit as a fiddle, he can jump on the couch, bed, table chairs and he runs around like a lunatic without getting tired. I know that weight can play a big part in their future but surely he's at a good weight? As I said I'm not to sure so hopefully somebody on here can give me some advice, thanks.
    Last edited by aidy06; 04-05-2011 at 04:26 AM.

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

does not sound heavy to me...
    pugs ideal weight is between 16 and 18 pounds although some pugs are heavier or lighter then that...really depends on the pug. love your pic in your aviatar..so darn cute..
    if you have another pic of your pug post so we can see him standing up.. that would help as well to see the whole dog..
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

Quote Originally Posted by Pat's Crew View Post
    does not sound heavy to me...
    pugs ideal weight is between 16 and 18 pounds although some pugs are heavier or lighter then that...really depends on the pug. love your pic in your aviatar..so darn cute..
    if you have another pic of your pug post so we can see him standing up.. that would help as well to see the whole dog..
    Thanks Pat, yes he is rather cute haha. I'll take some tomorrow and upload but to be honest I think I'm worrying over nothing, I don't think he's at all over weight. It just annoys me more than anything because the way they say it makes us feel like bad pug parents ha

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

A picture would help us see his physical build better - because pugs are not all built the same. But, really, you probably have nothing to worry about.... most vets seem to like to tell ALL pugs to lose weight.
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug CP (couch potato)

Terminallove is offline Village Mayor

I agree with everyone else in saying it depends very much on his build. While that doesn't seem to be a heavy weight, it could very well be for his build. For example, Bauser is 20/21 pounds. Someone may think this is high for a pug however he is extremely lean and if he lost a pound he would probably be quite underweight. Now, I notice you posted about this same issue when Marley was 6 months or so. Was this the same vet or a different one? If it's a reoccurring topic, it may be in your best interest to really evaluate Marley. Its tough to hear that your dog is overweight, makes us feel like bad parents but what would make an even worse parent is ignoring the issue without really taking into consideration if this is a fact or just ignorance on the vets part due to not knowing the breed standard is quite stocky, but not overweight.
    Post some current pictures for sure, so you can get some outside point of view.
    L A Y L A&
    BAUSER, MIIKKA AND PUG BY ASSOCIATION, BANDIT.

pugaddiction is offline Village Admiral

I wish Zoey was only 8.2 (18 lbs.) she is 21 right now. Eddie is 7.9 (17.3 lbs.) he is very lean. So your 8.2 doesn't sound that bad.
    GINA

diesels.mom is offline Village VP

Boo is 9.0 and he is actually very lean whereas Diesel is 9.1 and is a little chunky..

it totally depends on the dog's build

Snifter is online now Moderator/Village Merchant

One of the our vets is constantly telling me that my pugs are overweight and has done so from the beginning. I delight in telling him that not only are they not overweight, they are in fact underweight as far as the show ring is concerned.

So it is entirely possible to have a vet that is too hung up on weight.

That said, you really do need to give your pug an honest evaluation. A pug that is at the right weight should live longer and have far fewer health issues as it ages. It is far better to have a pug that is on the skinny side than a pug that is on the plump side.

As for an ideal weight, there is no such thing. It depends entirely on the dog. My Toddy is about 7kg; he is at exactly the right weight for his build. My Snifter is currently just under 10kg and is on a diet as he should be 9.5 for his build.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Ok here's some pictures of him, a little hard to get some from above as you probably all know ha.

Sorry for the quality, I had to take them on my iPhone. Thanks

Just wanted to post this picture aswell as It makes me laugh for some reason

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast