How Many Calories Do You Feed Your Pug?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Many Calories Do You Feed Your Pug?

BHSHockeyMom is offline Village Puppy

Default How Many Calories Do You Feed Your Pug?

I am asking how many calories because dog food tends to differ in how many calories per cup. Otis went to the vet a few weeks ago and he weighed in at 28 pounds. He has no waist what so ever. I did not take him to the vet because there is no way for me to get in because there are stairs, so hubby and my 14 year old took him. The trip to the the vet is a story in itself! But I had forgot to have my hubby ask the vet if he thought he was over weight. I would like to get him down to 22lbs.

He is pretty seditary, sleeps on the couch most of the morning and afternoon till my 14 year old gets home from school and takes him out for a short walk. He also goes out for a short walk first thing in the morning and goes for a longer walk around 6:30. But other than that he is a major sleeper.

I am going to start switching him to, Dave's Naturally Healthy Adult Dog Food this weekend and it has 406 calories per cup. How do I figure out how much I need to feed him in order to loose some weight?
    Chris
    Mom to 4 boys and one fur boy

Russ is offline Village Royalty

I cant answer the calorie question. The bag does not say calories per cup but talks protien, fibre, etc. 28lbs sounds big but it may be ok for Otis' body. Mz Tilly is between 19.5 and 21lbs most visits to the vet. She is not what I'd call an active dog, but she is not sedentary either. I bet you folks will want a Otis picture before giving an opinion :) pictures good :)

Just saw your earlier post. Otis does not look overweight in that picture on the couch. Maybe a little heavy but doesnt look rolly-polly :) he's a handsome pug!
    Last edited by Russ; 05-19-2011 at 06:43 AM.

luluthepug is offline Village Governor

Chris -

Wally was 33 lbs when he came here in March. We feed him 1/3 c of dry Halo, 1 heaping T of wet Halo, 1 T pumpkin and 1 tsp of non-fat plain yogurt - all flooded in 2/3 c of water. He gets this in the morning and at night. We also take him for several walks a day. He's a very athletic boy - but his records show that he was 12 lbs when he was 1, so I think there is a smaller pug in there. Last week he weighed 29 lbs!! I take them for a walk, about 30-45 mins, each morning. Then when the kids get home, they take him on a shorter walk (20 mins?), then DH takes him on a longer walk. So he's getting walked at least 3x a day.

You have 4 boys, right? That's at least 3 walks right there!! I'd say have the boys to take him on separate walks if possible - and extend the walk time by 10 mins. That small increase, with a decrease in what you are feeding him - and you will see a difference in short order. Are you able to get out in the wheel chair and take him for a walk? I saw someone doing that on The Dog Whisperer. They were in California, though, with lots of flat roads...!

How much does he get now? Our pugs were getting 1/2 c 2x a day - and they weighed 28 and 33 lbs. They were obviously getting more than that, or lots of scraps. We do not give them any people food - and the treats are kept to a minimum.

I think the Halo is about that 400 cal / cup. We just cut back what he was getting, and it's worked very well. You can see my "Biggest Loser" posts here to see my before/after pics of them. Baby went from 28 to about 23lbs. They have more to go, but I think the loss will come slower at this point which is fine. They both love going out on walks and don't want to turn around, often. That's the subject of ANOTHER thread on here!

And has he always been 28 lbs? Some pugs are just bigger than others. Wally is TALL, but is for sure carrying extra weight on those bones!

Kara
    I dip my pen in the blackest ink, because I'm not afraid of falling into my inkpot.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

owned by Walnut and the Baby Buddha aka Wally & Baby
    Penny (big, black, fluffy cat)
    our guardian angel, Lulu,
    and forever young kitties Max, Clara & Bessie

Pugs-R-MandyBait is offline Village Royalty

Diamond naturals is about 337 kcals a cup and the doxies get 1C a piece ... 2 are good weight and 2 border on a bit thin - so they get more treats than the others.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Natablue is offline Village Mayor

I don't know about calories, but my pug gets 1/3 a cup of Blue Buffalo two times a day, with a spoonful of non-fat plain yogurt in the morning, and a spoonful of Blue Buffalo thanksgiving feast wet in the dinner. She also gets a couple small biscuits a day (those are a treat for when she poops), and a few chewy treats, sometimes a small bit of peanut butter in her kong.

She gets usually 2 15 minute walks a day, and much longer walks on days my husband and I have off and the weather is nice.
    She weighs 16 pounds, which is a good weight for her I think; at one point she was about the 17 pound range and was looking a bit chubby.

Pugs-R-MandyBait is offline Village Royalty

Calories are not hard ... the better dog food companies list them on their sites (Blue Buff Puppy Lamb (for ex) is - "Calorie Content (ME Calculated, as fed): 3,542 kcal/kg, 430 kcal/cup)"

Figuring what to feed ...

Base calories/day (resting energy requirement) = 30 x (your dog’s weight in kg) + 70
    * Weight loss needed, neutered/spayed = 1 x base calories
    * Weight loss needed, intact = 1.1x base calories

DiNo (18 pounds) would be ((30 x 8.2kg) + 70)) x 1 = 316.

He would have about 120 extra calories a day from the Blue Buffalo example ... which as active as he is, would not worry me. :-) But I would be feeding a scant cup. His Diamond Small Breed is 345, so I can feed a *full* cup
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Calorie requirements of pugs (and people) can vary hugely depending on age, activity level, metabolism, height, bone structure and the efficiency of their digestive system.

If you start with a baseline and then adjust up or down by observing the dog's "figure", you should be fine. You want to be able to feel the ribs easily, but they should not be visible under the coat. The dog should have a "waist" when viewed from above and there should be a "tuck" after the ribcage when looking from the side. Most pugs are healthier a little underweight than a little overweight.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

I feed Taste of the Wild, Pacific Stream to my three. Buddy is 7 years old, weighs about 22 lbs and gets 1/3 cup twice per day @ 360 kcal/cup. Oscar is 2 years old, weighs about 20 lbs and gets 1/3 cup twice per day. Sophie is a year old, weighs about 14 lbs (is underweight) so I am feeding her 2/3 cup morning and 1/2 cup evening. My boys are at the optimum weight for their body sizes, like I said Sophie is underweight so I think once I get her up to maybe 16 lbs she will be perfect and I will adjust down from there to maintain.
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy (The Pug) 11-22-03,Oscar (The Pug) 01-18-09 - And now Sophie (The Girl Pug) 04-08-10 :) 3 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan! Emma kitty at the Rainbow Bridge 9-11-02 - 3-11-13.

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

BTW: Some senior dogs begin to acquire a pot belly (ascites). This is not usually to do with excess fat, but fluid retention due to an old and tired heart and circulatory system. So if your senior passes all the other tests, but doesn't have a tuck, that is probably why. Lasix helps.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

mick66 is offline Village Mayor

My pug gets a quarter cup of Taste of the Wild, High Plains formula twice a day (185 calories total). The first meal also includes about 2 tablespoons of canned food and the second includes a half tablespoon of a stinky (from the garlic) supplement. It's the Furminator deshedding supplement - I got 4 quarts for free, so I have a lot of it. That doesn't seem like much, but even with a little daily exercise, she can still gain weight. My previous pug ate nearly twice as much more and got virtually no exercise and maintained his weight.
    Last edited by mick66; 05-22-2011 at 04:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread