any tips on getting my cats and pug to get along?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any tips on getting my cats and pug to get along?

Walter is offline Village Puppy

Default any tips on getting my cats and pug to get along?

we have 3 cats and adopted a 5 month old pug 2 months ago. It's still extreme drama around here. I think the poor pug just wants to play with the cats, but they want nothing to do with him, so it's lots of hissing, meowing, and chasing. I was hoping it would be better by now and I'm just feeling like I've made a mistake and ruined the cats home life.

Pugs-R-MandyBait is offline Village Royalty

Welcome!
    Do the cats have a safe zone that the puppy cannot get to? It takes a while for cats not raised around dogs to accept them as normal ... and puppies are far more active and quick than a cat likes.
    Baby gates and time are your best friends here. I have a cat that thinks he is a dog ... but he was raised by a Doxie. the five FormerlyFeralKittens all think the the dogs are their best friends ... but they have seen dogs since day one.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

thanks! yes, we do have a bunch of safe areas for the cats. I suppose it may just take a while and I'm sure once he is no longer a puppy things will calm down. That leads me to - at what age do pug puppies calm down a bit? One year, two years? Or is it specific to the individual dog?

Pugs-R-MandyBait is offline Village Royalty

Specific to any dog LOL I have a doxie that is 'old' and mature at 2 and one that will never grow up at 4

Teaching your pup LeaveIT!! when chasing the cats (or stealing/chewing something he shouldn't) will be most appreciated by the cats. Just repeating No! or stoppit! or the pup's name over and over will only make the word lose value.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

Also, I am sure you know already, but please keep a close eye on the cats and pug as it is very easy for eye injuries to occur to a pug and could end up being very devastating as well as costly for the pug and for you.
    Good Luck and I hope everything works out for the cats, pug and you!
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana & my Buddy, Ozzy**

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

You already have a safe place for the cats to get away and I think as your pug ages the cats may become more accepting. Tinker thinks my daughter's cat should play too when we visit her but the cat is having no parts of that.Her cat grew up with a chow mix and they always got along but the cat doesn't know what to do with a dog her size! LOL!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Winston's Mom is offline Village Senator

My cats have always been around my pugs. They have a mutual ignore society. The cats will spend more time hissing and spitting at each other rather than concerning themselves with the pugs. Of course, my pugs are 10 and 13 and they will not lower themselves to interact with the cat.

When I had persian cats years ago, they all got along great. Persians are really accepting kitties and just have sweet personalities. I have bengals now and they are much more active, but they don't seem to have much interest in the pugs. Luckily I have the actual Bengal cats, not any of the more closely bred to the ALC. Those cats are crazy and have very bizarre personalities. They still have too much wild in them for me.

Time and having the kitties a place to go to get away from a rambunctious puppy is on your side. You could have hissing and spitting for months. Like another person mentioned, be careful leaving them alone together when you are away, cat claws are dangerous to pug eyes as well as costly to the pocketbook.
    Winston's Mom
    Ladies of the Lone Star State
    Gracie, LadyHawk
    Forever Missing Winston, Precious & Snazzy waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

thanks, everyone for the responses. I guess we are doing the best we can, and luckily the cats don't have front claws so eye injury is not an issue. I guess it's just going to be kind of unpleasant around here for a while.

Lola's Mum is offline Village Governor

I have a similar situation, I have a cat who has only been around older dogs (who frankly wanted nothing to do with her) - the puppy has been a definite adjustment! My puppy wants to play with my cat - and my cat wants none of it. But sometimes, just sometimes, I think the cat kind of likes batting the pug away (my cat has been declawed - but very good point that someone made above about the cats damaging the pugs eyes).

Safe zones are key, glad you have some of those - I try to let mine "play" a little, but don't let it get too serious and separate if necessary. I'd also make sure that the 3 cats don't gang up on your puppy!

Good luck - (to you and me) - it HAS to get easier, right? :)
    I'm Caryn, from Charlotte, NC...

My pug, Lola, is 7 months old :) Follow Lola on Facebook!

freak is offline Village Admiral

My cat has been raised around dogs all his life, but everytime we bring a new pup in to the mix he hisses and hides, then all of a sudden he gets over it and back to normal we go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast