Hyper Puppy HELP!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Hyper Puppy HELP!!!

BigBlak is offline Village Puppy

Default Hyper Puppy HELP!!!

At what age do pug puppies settle down ? when i let him out of his cage all he does is run around and tries to pick up everything on the floor! its tiring at the moment because i cant relax and have him out with me to relax i have to put him in the cage and im tired of having him in the cage. I take him out about 5 times a day to play for a half hour to a hour at a time but half that time is monitoring him. Do i just have a adventurous puppy or are they all this way at 9 1/2 weeks old ?

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

That's pretty normal for a puppy.When he gets a little older you can walk him and get into some obedience classes.That will help to work off some of his energy.Aren't you happy he's so glad to see you!!They stay a puppy for about a year but their energy does wan the older they get, or at least gets more controlled.Have you thought about putting him in a larger confined space so he gets more tired on his own?
    Katie <3 Nano likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

I am glad hes so happy to see me its just when hes out all eyes are on him i cant do anything if i turn my head he has somthing in his mouth or looking for something to put in there like lint balls little things in the carptet and such and i dont want him chocking on anything thing. do you mean like a play pin ? i did buy a excersise pen but havnt put it up yet do you think he will consider that another cage because i do believe hes crate trained but he does bark if he sees me leave for like a half a minute then hes quiet. will he entertain his self in there ?

Katie <3 Nano is offline Village Senator

Thankfully my Nano is starting to calm down a bit, but he was crazy hyper all of the time when he was young. We found the best way to manage it (especially when it became too cold to go outside for any length of time) was to puppy-proof an area of the home (we chose in the living room, near where my workspace is set up) and to section it off from the rest of the house. We would put down lots of chewy toys, frozen kongs and things to help with his teething, balls for him to roll around, just so he had lots of options of things to keep him engaged and busy playing. That way, we knew that he wouldn't be getting into anything bad (because he is like a little vacuum; anything that hits the floor is soon to be in his mouth) and he would be within eye sight so I could supervise while still being able to work.

Eventually he will play himself out, and you'll find him napping away like a little angel :) Whenever we are able, we play interactive games with him, like hide and seek or fetch, because puppies can't entertain themselves for ever :) We also found switching out his toys every few days helped to keep him engaged, because I think he thought they were new everytime haha.

This has just been my experience, and maybe it's different for every puppy. I hope that you find something that works :)
    Tinker's mom and taffiecandy like this.
    Pug Momma to Nano the Handsome!

Katie <3 Nano is offline Village Senator

Oh I meant to add, we didn't want to buy an exercise pen or anything like that, because as we are getting ready to move we have been trying to downsize. We just used plastic containers, large boxes, and baby gates (anything that blocks the doorway that the puppy can't tip over or ruin by chewing) and it did the trick :)
    Pug Momma to Nano the Handsome!

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

Welcome to the world of puppyhood!!!!

He won't get housebroken if you keep him in the cage that much!

They are like little children and do need to be monitored all the time......and watched so you can catch them if they start to pee or poop so they learn to go potty outside......and what to chew and what not to chew!

Puppies are a LOT of work!!!!

I just got a 12 wk old puppy.....and she's out a good deal of the time. The only time she's caged is when I go away......when I cannot watch her (like taking a shower or a nap)....if she's bothering my older guys too much and they need a break and I cannot redirect her....and at night for bed! Once she is potty trained and a bit bigger......she'll only be locked up when I go away! She'll be a bed baby with the other guys!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Lola's Mum is offline Village Governor

I still have to watch my puppy like a hawk and she's 4 months old...just when I think I can trust her and not watch her, she does something like pee on my arm chair (ahem, happened tonight) - when she hasn't gone to the bathroom inside in weeks...

I think you should try the play pen or section off an area of your home, as to not crate him so much. I have a baby gate up in my kitchen where I put her when I leave home or need to do something at home where I can't keep an eye on her. I have her crate in there and some toys to keep her entertained.

When your pup is as young as yours, the more contained you can keep them is probably the best and safest for him. With that being said, I don't mean the crate, but some safe area where they can play.
    Katie <3 Nano likes this.
    I'm Caryn, from Charlotte, NC...

My pug, Lola, is 7 months old :) Follow Lola on Facebook!

Lola's Mum is offline Village Governor

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post

Puppies are a LOT of work!!!!
    Ain't this the TRUTH?! ;-)
    I'm Caryn, from Charlotte, NC...

My pug, Lola, is 7 months old :) Follow Lola on Facebook!

The way i do it is basically we switch off lol . I play with him for a hour then crate him for a hour sometimes 2 then i play and so on so 1hr play 2 hr rest ratio. I feed him half a cup of food twice a day and in between i try to train him with his food ( he knows "sit" and "stay" so far but i have no idea how to teach him anything else so im just polishing those up lol). He gets plenty of water. Im going to do the quarantine thing in my living room im just scared if i go and do something like use the bathroom or cook or something he may potty and i may not catch him to correct him. Even tho i been on the potty thing and there hasnt been any real accidents i havent caught it seems like hes waiting for that opportunity to just do it in spite of me not watching him i just get that strange feeling.

By the way how is my potty routine going ? What i do is i have pads set up in front of his crate and when i let him out i say go potty and dont let him go until he does. am i doing that correct or should i let him make a mistake or two and scold him and bring him to the area , while on top of doing it my way ? like let him make mistakes?

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlak View Post
    At what age do pug puppies settle down ? when i let him out of his cage all he does is run around and tries to pick up everything on the floor! its tiring at the moment because i cant relax and have him out with me to relax i have to put him in the cage and im tired of having him in the cage. I take him out about 5 times a day to play for a half hour to a hour at a time but half that time is monitoring him. Do i just have a adventurous puppy or are they all this way at 9 1/2 weeks old ?
    This is normal and will continue to be normal for a long time. It's not a pug thing, it's a puppy thing. Puppies, like babies, explore the world with their mouths. What I did was a closed off one room of the house, where I was most of the time anyway. I put up baby gates and I puppy proofed the space. That means I removed all the rugs and anything chewable. Electric chords were taped or nailed down. Winston had his bed next to the couch, where I would usually sit. He had another bed underneath my desk. We did still monitor him most of the time. He always had access to his toys and chewtoys. If he would start chewing something inappropriate, I'd simply direct him to a toy.

My advice is, avoid scolding as much as you possibly can. It's better to redirect. NEVER scold during house breaking. It doesn't work and can cause all sorts of problems. Is there a particular reason you're not taking him outside to pee and poop? Immunization issue? Puppies need to go practically all the time at that age and always after eating (I think about 10-20 minutes after), after playing and napping.
    CSollers likes this.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast