Like it seems everyone else is here to do, I'm here to vent.
Today I received one of the saddest pieces of news I've ever heard in my life: I'm not getting my puppy. I cried so hard; I was so heart broken! That puppy was even my iPhone's background and lock screen! I even made a twitter for that dog!!!!!
I had already paid and asked the breeder to hold my puppy until after my last week or so of college so he wouldn't get overlooked in all my final exams panic. I've been looking to get one for over a year, but decided it was only fair to the puppy that I wait until I was finished school and could devote all my time to him. So the breeder agreed, and told me she would get him to me on either Monday or Tuesday of this upcoming week. Today I e-mailed her to ask if she had decided which day, and told her Monday was ideal for me (I have to admit, only because I was anxious to finally get my baby!). She replied with that he had scratched his eye and was going to have a friend look to see how bad it was, but had a 5-week fawn girl (I had paid for a black male) that she could give me instead, or that she would tear up my check and help me look for a new one.
Now I'm sure some of you are thinking what the heck is wrong with me, but I assure you up until this point the breeder seemed very legit. She was extremely wary of what homes she gave her puppies to, and made it a point to stress all the health problems/extra care pugs need. She also told me a story of another pugglet in the litter, whose potential owner was going to drive up from Mexico to get the pug, and how she was still undecided *despite having already collected the money* on whether or not she wanted to hand over the dog because she was worried about vet care down there. At first, I thought it was a sign of a loving breeder who was genuinely concerned over the homes her puppies were placed in, but now I feel otherwise, especially after her e-mail today. She was going to have a FRIEND (not a VET?!) look at the dog's eye! Then she was going to give me a substitute dog that was 5-weeks-old!!! (Not to mention nothing like the one I bought, female not male, fawn not black -- though these are superficial things that wouldn't have mattered much as a pet owner, but are kind of annoying from a buyer point of view). I'm not even sure at this point if the dog even has a scratch, or if she's just giving me a tall tale to avoid the final goodbye. At first I thought maybe I said something to deter her from the puppy, but I LIVE WITH TWO VETS (ironically who are twin sisters, lol)! And their dad is a MEDICAL DOCTOR (funny family, really)! I don't know a better home to give an animal to!! So obviously I just cancelled the check and decided to look elsewhere. Unfortunately, it seems like there are no more black males left on the market that will be ready anytime soon in my area. :(
And before any of you get on my case about adopting, let me set you straight! We have adopted or rescued literally every animal in our family -- including our bird, 2 horses, and snake. My closest friend/the vets' mom fosters feral kittens, racoons, pups, grown dogs, any and every animal you can think of (yes, even 2 emus!) so I have done more than my fair share of adopting and fostering in my life lol! I have my heart set on buying a puppy because for once I would like to be the original owner, even if that means losing a couple of shoes and carpets.
So if anyone knows a reputable breeder in NJ/PA/DE/MD, I would be very appreciative if you pointed me in their direction.
So sorry to hear that! Have you checked the pug dog club of America? I think they have a list of breeders on their website. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. You deserve your puppy.
Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.
Ugh. I'm sorry. Hope you find the perfect puppy soon.
Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!
**And before any of you get on my case about adopting,**
I am so sorry that your puppy is not coming home. It is terrible when people betray our trust
.... but being defensive and prickly when seeking support and advice seems counterproductive. As many PVers seek puppies to raise as older dogs to adopt. No one had judged you ... or would.
... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)
Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jodelar has posted about a grown pug scheduled for death in NY, is that too far away. I think the notification is under Rescue?
I'm so sorry, you'll find the right puppy for you! Hope it's soon!
Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.
Craigslist and petfinder.com might be helpful.
I would check Pug Club of America Breeder list.........and then some of us have websites so you can see if they have any blacks or not. Or you can contact me privately once you've narrowed it down.
Know that a good breeder will ask a lot of questions of you, just as you should of them. Most won't release a puppy til 10 -12 wks and some hold longer if they're trying to make a decision of which pup to keep to show. The cost will probably be more from a good breeder also as they put more time, money, and effort into their pugs in general.......and to get them pregnant and raise the litter!
Good luck to you!
5 weeks is too young to be away from momma pug! I don't think that is a "best practice" for a good breeder but I'm not a breeder. Just an opinion. Maybe that black one will still be with that breeder with a healing eye and you would still be able to get him in a few weeks?
Maybe I'm missing something, but maybe the breeder IS trying to be responsible & make sure the puppy doesn't have a serious eye injury before turning it over to you, & also maybe the breeder didn't mean that you could have the 5 week old now, but could have it in a few weeks? Maybe her friend IS a vet....
At any rate, I'm sorry you didn't get your puppy....that must be very disappointing! Accidents can happen with puppies, tho, especially with those eyes--would it have been possible to wait & see what was decided about the eye injury, or have the breeder guarantee that you could take the pup to a vet of your choosing, & depending on what was found out there, you could then decide if you wanted to keep the pup, or have her return your money?
I know you will find the right puppy for you, so don't give up! It will happen....
Rugby DOB: 7/10/02
Molly DOB: 7/6/04