How do i get my pug to love me?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: How do i get my pug to love me?

joseywales is offline Village Puppy

Default How do i get my pug to love me?

My pug seam he doesnt love me....when my wife uncle stayed with us for 5 day ..my pug hug around him alot..he homless and has alco problems..my wife dont spend much time with brutus and at times yells at time,but he up her butt...my father in law brutus hangs out with him too!!..what up with this!! I spoil the turd give him treats and spend time with him!! The only time brutus spends time with me when nobody is home!!

mieu is offline Village Senator

Pugs love everyone by default, you may not notice it because you spend so much time with him. I am with Scootaloo the most by FAR out of my husband and I. I feed her, wake up with her on those god-awful early mornings, take her to the vet and do all the down-and-dirty stuff that dog-parents have to do, but when my husband puts his full attention on her you'd think that she was a teenybopper with front-row tickets to a Justin Beiber concert. Granted she is always by my side by default but the excitement she shows when gaining the attention and approval of a new person makes me worried people will think I'm a heartless mommy! Some dogs are one-person dogs that stick to their 'parent' and never so much as warm up to anyone else, but other dogs just love everyone and mom or dad can be chop liver when someone new and exciting is in town.

Out of you and your wife, who feeds him and takes him out? I find that to be a big predictor of who they stick to, but I've grown up in a house full of dogs and some became close to my father and others closer to my mother just by way of personality...didn't mean that they didn't love the other parent, though. Did you grow up with dogs in your life? I have kind of a crack-pot theory that people who grow up with dogs typically get a good response from meeting new ones that don't belong to them, whereas folks who have had less experience and exposure to dogs can take a little while to forge a bond with them. Just remember that dogs read our emotions through our body language, facial expression and tone of voice--if people who have good relationships with dogs seem to act like dorks, it's because it works! Dogs can also have a sixth sense about other people though and can tell when humans are troubled or hurting, which may be why your doggie gravitated towards your uncle-in-law.
    Last edited by mieu; 04-22-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    Tiny's Mum, Hellas, freak and 2 others like this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Scootaloo's Page!

gemayer is offline Village Princess Puggy Pants

I am not sure i understand pugs are very loving. Hope he is not mistreated, I could never yell at Macie.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gemayer View Post
    I am not sure i understand pugs are very loving. Hope he is not mistreated, I could never yell at Macie.
    the only time i yell at him if he gets into cat poop..which as it seems getting less now..

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

I had this with my pug but I learnt it was because I was paying him too much attention. Somebody told me to not always rush to his crate when I walk in, eat first before I feed him etc. I was told it was because they have more respect for you if you are not cuddling them constantly for example. It's worked and I still pinch plenty of cuddles from him ! And I could never yell at him......not a good idea
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

My advice would be to do things that build a good relationship. Taking walks together is a wonderful way to do this. By this I don't mean dragging him around the block, but really going somewhere that's fun and exciting for him. We take daily forest walks and the dogs love it. During our walks, I try to think of fun things to do to keep the dogs interested in me. For example, I may suddenly sprinkle some treats on the ground for them to search for. I give them little tasks, such as balancing on logs or rocks etc, and praise and reward them for every bit of progress. We may also work on our obedience or tricks. Nothing serious, but just for 30 seconds or so, as a fun surprise. Again, lots of praising and rewards. If you have a playful dog, surprise him by bringing out his favourite toy, or just running with him.

Playing in general is a great way to bond with your dog and to make him see you as a great person to be around.

Fun and playful obedience training, dog agility, freestyle or tricks is also great. Just make sure it's reward based and positive. Using the clicker method works wonders.

Snuggling is also great, but he may value the snuggles more if he doesn't get them every single time he wants one. Be sure that you don't crowd him. Let him come to you instead.

Those are the things I can think of, off the top of my head. Good luck and let us know how things work out for you!
    CSollers, Nina_W and sashimi's dad like this.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

Much better put than I did! I used to totally smother Will with attention so he was basically just fed up of me! Lol
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

kay_lee_x is offline Village Mayor

The person who feeds him, gives him attention and cuddles is the one that he will attach himself to but mostly the person who feeds him. :)

we feed him both the same amount..But Im the one whos give him treats all the times..I mostly take him for the walks..I ride my bike..most of the time he'll try to pull me on my bike..I dont smooch up to him alot..when im on my desk top computer that is front of my wifes bed.. he's lays behinds me..I dont foce him on anything..Im the one whos gives him his baths too..he goes nuts after i dry him off..runs around like a nut/like to play race around the rooms.. rubbing his nose on the floor..think he love his baths

Kat
    Kat is offline Village Governor

I spend the most time with my pugs too, so when someone else comes home they get super excited to see them. But in the end, they love me the most. I feed them, spend time with them, my older one sleeps with me, and I take them out for walks and fun outings. So my two do love me the most, when I leave them they wait for me until I come back into the room.

How long have you had your pug? Try some bonding experiences, instead of just a regular walk, weather and temperature permitting, go for a fun outing to a park or walk some trails, climb rocks and tree logs, build the pugs confidence. I go for trail walks once a week, and it is an amazing bonding experience with my two. I don't let them off leash, only because I'm not confident watching two at once, so I have 50 foot training leads that give them lots of freedom to run around.
    Hellas and Debbie prince like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast