+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Thy neighbour's ox

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

DefaultThy neighbour's ox

I need to make a complaint.

A serious complaint.

There is this thing, over the wall. The greatest smell I ever did smell. They've hung it from a branch, a great big hunk of cow. It's raw, and dripping, and oh...

I was sitting right there, next to the wall that stops me from having what I want, telling the neighbours that I am ready for my part. Loudly. My body is small but my voice breaks windows.

But then Nina came and got me. She put me inside. AND closed the door.

She closed the door!

Now I cannot sit there and wait for my meat. So, stare at it, while I sing softly. I sing about the tragedy and sadness of my lack of access to such a glorious piece of meat!

Rooo.

ROOOOOO!

I am become woe.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Poor baby, Momma just doesn't understand.
    Loconn55 likes this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

LilyFayre is offline Village Admiral

Just by way of interest - is it normal where you live for people to hang out large pieces of raw meat? Doesn't it get infested with flies and insects and attract large numbers of feral cats etc

sorry..... couldn't help being curious lol

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I'd be more worried about the much larger, wild life??
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Snifter is online now Moderator/Village Merchant

Um, Talos, I don't think you are allowed to covet your neighbour's ox.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

tall grass pugs is online now Village Orb Weaver Advocate

I would worry too, about vermin after the blood and snakes after the vermin. Not to mention gobs of flies and the approach of carrion birds. Is there a regional recipe that calls for sun shriveled cow chunk as a starter? I believe we need a picture. Is this how you make biltong? Surely a desiccator or a slow oven would be less trying.
    Last edited by tall grass pugs; 04-21-2017 at 08:51 AM.

chunkypugs is offline New to the Village

Quote Originally Posted by tall grass pugs View Post
    I would worry too, about vermin after the blood and snakes after the vermin. Not to mention gobs of flies and the approach of carrion birds. Is there a regional recipe that calls for sun shriveled cow chunk as a starter? I believe we need a picture. Is this how you make biltong? Surely a desiccator or a slow oven would be less trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by LilyFayre View Post
    Just by way of interest - is it normal where you live for people to hang out large pieces of raw meat? Doesn't it get infested with flies and insects and attract large numbers of feral cats etc

sorry..... couldn't help being curious lol
    It's not normal, per se, but not unusual either. At important family occasions - weddings, coming of age parties, and funerals it's important to kill and slaughter the cow at home, and then to drain, it gets hung it from a tree. Luckily they seem to have amended it here, no animals were killed next door. The carcass was delivered this morning. They'll likely begin to cook it at sunset - soon, in other words.

It's also polite to offer this meat to everyone, so we'll likely be given some of the cooked meat. Yes, not exactly the most sterile way of treating flesh. But ok, once it's cooked it's cooked, and it won't be the first time we eat out of politeness to other's customs.

It's a wedding, I believe, I'll likely send over a bottle of champagne we have laying around in return for the meat.

Bluntly, I'd much rather have this meat than traditional beer. Seriously yuck.

I don't really want to take a picture of it. It looks as you would expect, a cow carcass hanging from a tree, in the afternoon sunlight. Flies buzzing around. The smell of meat. Seems they've hung it over an old bathtub. Tub full of entrails. Yay.

Can I put it behind spoilers or something?

No, this is not how biltong is made. Biltong is already cut up strips of meat, well salted and spiced, hung well away from any flies. Usually inside somewhere, with good ventilation and warm dry air, and definitely no insects.
    Last edited by Nina_W; 04-21-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Suri, Tiny's Mum and myboysRmylife like this.

Jenb is offline Village Mayor

Wowzers, Thank goodness that isn't a tradition in Canada. If I had to smell that let alone see it I think I would be sick :(

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast