The Pro's and Con's of multi-pug families - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Pro's and Con's of multi-pug families

With a second pug-

Cons:
    • With two, vet bills more than double. I don't know why, but they do.
    • It costs me an arm and a leg to get GOOD pugsitters when I have to leave town.
    • Housebreaking goes out the window for awhile, especially with two boys. They compete, including marking indoors.
    Pros:
    • Two to give you kisses every day.
    • They keep each other company while you work. (This is a HUGE plus with me)
    • Photo shots happen more often, they are just too cute together!

Pugsleigh is offline Village Admiral

Walking two is not as difficult as 3. There are nice attachments that can be added to their leash. Why don't you try fostering and see how that works.

Pugsleigh is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by bumble View Post
    There's something in the air--I've been thinking of a friend for Paddy! I found several wonderful rescues, but the little girl I wanted was adopted before I had a chance, and then the stove repairman hit me with a bill more than the adoption fee! Although Christmas is next month and my birthday is in February . . .

I will cross my fingers for you.
    I got my husband Lola for Valentine last year.
    I have hopes that a little pug will find a way to your home and your heart in the very near future.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

About the marking... Gizmo does not mark, he is not a leg-lifter {luckily}. IS there a chance he will start if we have a new puppy in the house.

{{{I will be honest - we will prob get from a breeder, we want a pug younger than Gizmo. This is not something we will have gone into lightly though, so please, as i know it is a touchy subject, if you don't agree with this descision leave it out of this thread. I only said anything at all so i can get responses that apply to the situation.}}}

never2manypugs is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_n_Gizmo View Post
    About the marking... Gizmo does not mark, he is not a leg-lifter {luckily}. IS there a chance he will start if we have a new puppy in the house.

{{{I will be honest - we will prob get from a breeder, we want a pug younger than Gizmo. This is not something we will have gone into lightly though, so please, as i know it is a touchy subject, if you don't agree with this descision leave it out of this thread. I only said anything at all so i can get responses that apply to the situation.}}}

Hmmm, Boris did start to lift his leg at about 8 months, then he was neutered and did ok. At that time, there were 3 females (2 older, 1 only slightly older than him) and 1 male mutt. Time passes....lost my beloved aphla female and adopted Lola (~ 5 1/2 yrs). Currently 6 dogs total in house...he did start to lift his leg after we got Lola.

Pros -
    more lovins'
    more kisses
    more company
    more personality
    more company for each other
    more pugtonas

Cons-
    more vet bills
    more supplies
    bigger mess (toys, supplies, leashes, etc)
    easier to take only one some place
    very difficult to vacation --- haven't gone anywhere in over 8 years!

When I only had my first pug, she did go many, many places with us. It was much easier to just pick up and go with only having her (we also didn't have any kids for the first 4 years of her life). I remember many happy times, just going out driving with her and stopping for picnics. We didn't do that as much when we got our 2nd pug. However, I'm very glad that we got our 2nd pug because now she had company during the day while we worked. Plus she didn't have any problems with having a younger sister...more tug of wars!!

I walk 3 pugs at a time (Lola, Roxie, Boris) with no problem; all on separate leashes.
    Tasha is walked separated because she is much slower and can't go as far.
    The best thing that I did was to add a second pug. Back then, I would have never thought that I'd have 4 at one time.
    Pam - owned by Roxie (almost 12 yrs) , Lola (14 yrs), and Olivia (almost 9 yrs)

And Taylor, who showed me how to be loved by a pug,waits at the bridge. Mommy loves you! You will forever be in my heart.
    And never to forget, the sweetest pug ever Tasha who is at the bridge with her sister.
    And very sadly now, my baby boy Boris.

Love is to wake up cuddling a pug.

There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those.
    -- Author Unknown

EZDave is offline None

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_n_Gizmo View Post

Yes, There is a very good chance that he will start to mark, especially if you get another male. Neutering will only lessen the chances slightly.
    Marking is not necessarily a male thing either.

Also, be prepared for the possible squabbles between multiple pugs. Some of them seem to get along great,but, I honestly think that is a rarity.Pug's get jealous, some more than others.
    Pugs are known for their cuteness factor, but, trust me, There are times when a pug could possibly appear to be Cujo's offspring. This in turn can lead to higher vet bills from injuries. Also, If one gets sick/worms/ etc. The chances of it being passed on to another in the same household are there. This also will lead to higher vet bills. I'm not trying to sound negative. I'm just trying to make sure that you or anyone else thinking about adding a new pug to the mix understands that all of the negative things that could happen are increased many times and not necessarily just doubled.
    Albert Schweitzer ______________________________________
    For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Donnag is offline Village Royalty

I have been toying with the 2nd pug for some time now and the cons have outweighed the pros for me. I am just going to wait till it's the other way around.
    Just out of curiosity why does it need to be sooner than later.
    And what is the harm of getting it from a breeder?
    Donna, Vivian and Stewie..... Rupert forever in my heart

Quote Originally Posted by EZDave View Post
    ...I'm not trying to sound negative. I'm just trying to make sure that you or anyone else thinking about adding a new pug to the mix understands...
    no no no, that was what i wanted. You don't sound negative, you sound honest. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnag View Post
    Just out of curiosity why does it need to be sooner than later.
    Sooner than later because i want human babies {not just fur babies} in a couple years.

Figtoria is offline Village Mayor

My first response was: There are cons?

But yeah, sure - food, vet bills, more poops and loss of flexibility of vacations....

But I don't think you really see the full range of dog behaviour until you have more than one. They're SO much more fun in multiples.

And there's nothing more rewarding than lying on the couch and having 20 feet and 5 wet, snorfly faces loving you to death (almost literally sometimes! Those little feet are POINTY!)

Dooooooooooooo it! You'll never be sorry.

Last edited by Figtoria; 11-06-2006 at 02:41 PM.

EZDave is offline None

Quote Originally Posted by Figtoria View Post

And there's nothing more rewarding than lying on the couch and having 20 feet and 5 wet, snorfly faces loving you to death

Yes there is. 76 feet +4
    Albert Schweitzer ______________________________________
    For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast