The Pro's and Con's of multi-pug families
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pro's and Con's of multi-pug families

Default The Pro's and Con's of multi-pug families

Lemmie have em, the good the bad, all of it.

We have been thinking about Getting Gizmo a brother {I don't want a girl, I'm partial to boy pets, always have been - also partial to runts, but that is another story}. I've opened up my schedule at work to open availability {the mall right now is open at 10, soon it will open at 9, not a big difference} and while brian will come home on his lunch break on days when i work early, I still wish Gizzy had a companion. We have many other reasons, and one very important condition {i won't bore you guys, let us just say it needs to me sooner than later}.

so.... give it to me!!! put the fears and the wants both in me, blunt truths i need.

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

Pros:
    Lots more love.
    Company for the first dog.
    Lots more love.
    Score: plus 90

Cons:
    More shedding.
    Less bed space.
    Less easy to take a vacation.
    Costs more for food, vet, etc.
    Score: minus 10

Overall score: 80% pro!!
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

Pugsleigh is offline Village Admiral

I am sorry that I waited until our Pugsleigh was 5 yrs old, before I adopted a sister for her. There is a lot of truth to the little saying: pugs are like potatoe chips, It is very hard to stop at 1. Additional pugs bond in sleep and in play. Personality is the big concern, in my opinion. That is the #1 advantage to adopting from a rescue. They can tell you everything about the pug that you have in mind to adopt. Often there are no surprises. I currently have 3 females.

The only drawback that I have is vet bills, or I would adopt one or two more. I love watching them sleep.

I am anxious to see what others have to say.
    Good luck

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

bumble is offline Village Hooker

There's something in the air--I've been thinking of a friend for Paddy! I found several wonderful rescues, but the little girl I wanted was adopted before I had a chance, and then the stove repairman hit me with a bill more than the adoption fee! Although Christmas is next month and my birthday is in February . . .
    Sheila, owned by Paddy the Wonderpug

Save the planet; it's the only one with red wine, chocolate, and pugs

I echo what Hilary said!

Something else to think about:
    Care for them while you're on vacation/out of town. It's a whole lot easier to find a friend to watch 1 vs. 2 (or more). It also gets more expensive to board or have a petsitter.

PROMISE: vacations not an issue. we don't go out of town, and if we are gone for the day and need a sitter we have family that is always willing during day trips.

Pros:
    More love
    more snorting
    more amusement
    they play among themselves
    they get more of that puppy energy out
    more kisses

Cons:
    For us, we had a major housetraining setback when we brought in a second. Nothing that can't be solved with some serious training, but it was a bummer for awhile.
    More vet bills
    Harder to go out of town with two
    harder to walk two

I love having two. I love them both so much. However, I have to admit that there are times when I think our lives were much simpler, less chaotic, when it was just one. But now that I have two, I wouldn't go back.

Zelissa is offline Village Royalty

One big "CON" consideration (for us) is the increased possibility of emergency vet costs. When we lost Rudy-Tooter, I think it cost in total over $2000. We had to use credit cards to pay for it...

Also, seemed to be more potty accidents with 2, and it was hard to figure out who did what.

That being said I would love to get a sibling again for Henry.
    Melissa, mom to
    sassy human girl Abigail Rose born 2/16/2006 & her little sister Elizabeth Mary born 12/28/2009
    pugs Henry & Hewey & cat Gizmo
    Married to Jeff since 5/21/2005
    Remembering Rudy Tooter

Puglove2 is offline Village Dr. McSweetie

i love having four dogs. for us, it is manageable and works with our lives. i will never give any of them up and would never wish it to be any other way. i think it depends on your lifestyle, finances, and where you live. as long as you can give another dog a good home, then go for it.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. (Roger Caras)

Charlie on Dogster - Our angel, taken too soon, waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge - Please check out the CREATE fund for GME research in Yorkies
    http://www.yorkieangelpatrol.com/gme.htm
    http://www.dogster.com/?99046

Winston on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/?99048

Basil on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/?167623

Violet on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=309585

And now Milo, the puppy that made us smile again.
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/658530

I have NO regrets about adding Toby to our family. If I had known how easy it would be, I would have done it so much sooner. I can't say it's that way for everyone, but Toby has been an absolute dream! He bonded with Freddy Jones and Homer (lab) within a couple of days. By the middle of the first week, they were all cuddling on the couch together. Pottying has not been any problem. There was 1 or 2 marking incidents the first week, but nothing since then. Vet costs would be the big consideration. Toby has already travelled with us and it's not any more trouble than having just the one. I love having a companion for Freddy Jones. I'm not gone for more than 3-4 hours, but it's nice that they have each other to be with. I hope you will consider a rescue pug. There are so many out there that need a good home. Toby is 7 years old and just a fabulous addition to our family!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast