Average Weight For Pugs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average Weight For Pugs

Percy's Mom is offline Village Governor

Default Average Weight For Pugs

Everyone keeps making comment about how 'chubby' Percy is but I read in a book if you can't see their ribs but can feel them they are a good weight. This is exactly the situation for Percy, my vet said that he was a good size but just keep my eye on things so he doesn't become overweight.

Percy is now weighing in at 12.9 pounds at 15 weeks of age, is this average weight? Or is he going to be huge? I read before I got him the average size for males was 18-20 pounds but from reading other sources it seems that is never the case.

maggier is offline Village Governor

The more pugs (and their people) I meet, the more convinced I am that 'breed standard" and "average" are very different things. Most male pugs I've seen average around 20 pounds. My Ming is 22# at one year and though I thought he would seem huge next to other pugs, he seems just about the same. He has long legs and a longer body, but is pretty slim.

In puppyhood, Ming would have growth spurts that had me thinking he was going to be "The Amazing Gargantuan Pug." But he would level off and now he's just perfect (though he would be perfect to me at any size)

Bruno is 1 years old and weights 24lbs and my vet scolded me about him being way to overweight

I think that my vet has a theory that all pugs are the same shape and size and should all weight the exact same. Bruno does not look overweight to me at all but according to the vet he is and we have to watch what he eats now. He's not even aloud to have more than two carrots a day!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

This picture chart might be helpful. My old vet used to have it on his wall.

http://www.placervillevet.com/canine...0condition.htm
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

never2manypugs is offline Village Royalty

My Boris is probably almost 19lbs now. He did get to almost 20 1/2 lbs which is too heavy for him. He could lose about a 1/2 pound; his waist is getting bigger.

Edit: That's a good link Hilary. Much easier to see the pictures.
    Pam - owned by Roxie (almost 12 yrs) , Lola (14 yrs), and Olivia (almost 9 yrs)

And Taylor, who showed me how to be loved by a pug,waits at the bridge. Mommy loves you! You will forever be in my heart.
    And never to forget, the sweetest pug ever Tasha who is at the bridge with her sister.
    And very sadly now, my baby boy Boris.

Love is to wake up cuddling a pug.

There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those.
    -- Author Unknown

Maria is offline Village Governor

Luciano weighs 17 lbs. He's pretty tall and long, too. He gets a lot of exercise, though. He gets a cup of food a day and some treats for "doing work" (obediance training of any kind).
    Maria
    Maria and Luciano

Co-Pilot in Flight is offline Village High Flying Sweetheart

18-20 lbs is the aprox. size for a breed standard male, but just like humans, their size varies GREATLY!

Co-Pilot is at her ideal weight and people always call her fat or chubby. I can feel her ribs and her waist tapers a bit. Pugs are meant to be square and cobby, it's the way they were built! If I see a Pug that is as thin as a boxer it's usually not a good thing!

Photo circa 2008!
    Sara: Mom to Co-Pilot(10), our pug girl and "her boys", Carter(8) and Cameron(4).

Co-Pilot on Dogster

www.dogster.com/dogs/324829 301.9

ViralMD is offline None

I think you've got yourself a big boy there! Cyril was 7 pounds at 14 weeks and is 17.5 pounds now.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

Luvbean25 is offline Village B'Dazzlin' Show Girl

Sarina
    Mommy to: Sebastian
    Pugs: Chloe, Emma, Scarlett, & Milani

"The discipline of desire is the background of character".

Percy's Mom is offline Village Governor

Quote Originally Posted by viralmd View Post
    I think you've got yourself a big boy there! Cyril was 7 pounds at 14 weeks and is 17.5 pounds now.

Dear god! Percy is almost double that...lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast