Pugs and cold weather
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pugs and cold weather

datter is offline New to the Village

Default Pugs and cold weather

Hi all, very new around here and this is officially my first question. Likely of many. :)

We got a wonderful little pug (now named Sweetie) a few days ago, she's three and a half months old a this point and we're dealing with all the fun of housebreaking and such. I'm also reading about clicker training a bit and considering giving that a try for obedience etc.

Anyway, about pugs and cold weather.

I've read someplace that pugs can't tolerate cold temperatures to the point that they can't go outside when it's less than 5 degrees celsius (40 degrees f). Is that accurate? I mean I don't plan to take her out in blizzards or anything, but we live in Nova Scotia and it does tend to get cold here in January/February. Since we're getting into housebreaking and all I'm wondering if we should focus on getting her to relieve herself indoors on pads, vs going outside? If she can't go out when it's cold I guess that's what has to happen?

I could use a bit more info about pugs and cold weather.

Thanks!
    datter

Abby's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Hello and welcome, I live in Buffalo and it gets quite cold here sometimes in the negatives. My puggies do go outside. But I always have my eye on them and they come right in after they go potty. I do have some sweaters for them but it takes me longer to put the sweaters on and off than it takes them to go potty. I think the heat is worse for them.
    Chris
    Abby aka da purity
    Zoie
    Mad Max
    DH Rick
    And Cool Cats Sydney and Sabre

Visit me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...23837&ref=name

A I hope if dogs ever take over the world and they choose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are little dogs with some good ideas.
    ~Marc-Christophe

bosley's mom is offline Village Admiral

My boys love the cold and snow much better than the heat and they go out nekked.....just to go potty...Bristol my "florida" pug is my biggest snow lover and when he goes outside in the snow I usually have to pick him up to bring him in as he would stay out there for hours.
    Doris.....Mom to Bosley 5/5/06, Bristol 10/21/06, Tango and Cash 17 year old African Grey Parrots, , Bart the Minilop, Miffy the Lionhead bunny. RIP Dakoda 3/2/2008, Preston 5/16/2008. Poe 11/2/2008.

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

My pugs go out on their daily hike in the park in all but the worst weather (below 0 F ). I bundle them up in coats when it's in the 30's or colder, but they do just fine.

Jesse

gimpydimp is offline Village Senator

Until recently we lived in northern Minnesota where it was -20 to -30 F at night and our boys still went out and did their business. They did it faster than in the summer but they never looked the worse for wear. I got them some LLBean coats but only put them on when it was under 0. The pugs are a healthy lot despite it all.
    I think heat is a bigger problem.
    Cindy
    Top Row: Tucker, Spencer, Otis (2000-2013); Bottom Row: Barney, Toby and me

Maryjo's Gang is offline Village Royalty

Hello and welcome to Pugvillage! I am Maryjo, and I live in Anchorage, Alaska.

My 5 pugs go out in the cold to do business, I don't dress them for it, but they are only out there for a few minutes at a time, and start lifting their feet off the ground when it dips below 20 F. I never ever leave them out for very long, we're talking minutes at a time.

They don't mind snow, but they HATE rain (seems to be a pug trait). :cheshire: And pugs actually do better in cold than in heat. Mine get overheated easily when the temps get over 70F.

I can hardly wait to see pics of your baby!

Last edited by Maryjo's Gang; 10-05-2007 at 06:24 PM.

datter is offline New to the Village

Thanks for the info, I'm less concerned about the cold now for sure. I've read so many different things on the net that sometimes it's hard to tell what's right and what's not. I appreciate the first hand pugtales.

Photos of our puglet to come. :)

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

We never get below zero (well hardly ever) but Snifter goes out in all weathers and does not wear a coat. Never shows any signs of being cold.

The only thing to be very careful of is to make sure pugs don't go out in the cold if they are wet from a bath. And they can take a very long time to dry.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

cwitt is offline Village Admiral

Northern Wisconsin here, lots of below zero days, Franklin last year loved the snow- would run out hop through it like a bunny do his business then come in and warm by the fireplace!!
    Connie
    Pugs-Sir Franklin, Captain Jack and General Douglas
    Cats-Snowy and Stubbs
    Husband-Mike
    Non fur kids--Eric, Shawn, Steph and Mikey
    Grand daughters -- Olivia and Sophie

lawpug is offline Village Royalty

It gets cold here but out they go - business is to be done in the outdoors! So we go out for quick walks all winter long, and they seem to be just fine. oh, and they generally go naked...
    ~Jen~
    mom to Gracie and Jack

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    ~Thomas Jefferson~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast