Pugs - Weight and Size
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pugs - Weight and Size

PugAficionado is offline Village Puppy

Question Pugs - Weight and Size

I currently have a couple of pugs (see the pics on this thread: http://www.pugvillage.com/forum/show...25#post1026925) :

1. Rock-O = 6 months old and weights 15 lbs
    2. Bhellla = almost 4 months old and weights 10 lbs

As you could see on the pictures on the linked thread, my babies are not on the "chunkier" side like this cutie pie on this video attacking the string cheese?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm93sZIwyCI

A couple of questions:
    1. At what age should I expect them to achieve their full size weight?
    2. Are my pugs on the "slim" side or are they just too young at this point and they would definitely grow bigger and "chunkier"?

Thanks again and kindly pardon my incessant questioning... I am sooo hungry for information...

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

It's very hard to tell what a puppy is going to finally look like. They go through growth spurts like kids do where they'll chunk up and then grow and slim out. I've seen some very fit and shapely pugs that topped out at the 30 lb mark and some little shrimps that were porkers at 16 lbs.
    My guys range from 15 to 22 lbs and aren't overweight. Breed standard is, I think, 14 to 18 lbs, but most pugs are in the 16 to 22 lb range--at least up here. Mind you, I'm speaking as a rescue person who doesn't see alot of "well bred" pugs.

GingerSnap is offline Village Smart Cookie

If I recall, Jackson was his final height and length around 9 months or so, but continued to fill out through the chest and neck a bit longer-- until about a year and a half or so? You're wise to keep them on the slim side for health reasons (although they're a stocky breed to begin with, of course). I went through a time of Jackson getting too heavy, then getting too skinny as an overcorrection. He's settled out nicely, but it's easy for them to get too heavy very easily because they love food so much!
    Ginger
    Mom to Jackson (fawn pug, age 7) and Sammy (black brindle pug/French bulldog, age 9ish or so)

Quote Originally Posted by Blanche View Post
    It's very hard to tell what a puppy is going to finally look like. They go through growth spurts like kids do where they'll chunk up and then grow and slim out. I've seen some very fit and shapely pugs that topped out at the 30 lb mark and some little shrimps that were porkers at 16 lbs.
    My guys range from 15 to 22 lbs and aren't overweight. Breed standard is, I think, 14 to 18 lbs, but most pugs are in the 16 to 22 lb range--at least up here. Mind you, I'm speaking as a rescue person who doesn't see alot of "well bred" pugs.

Thanks Blanche! I have also read that the breed standard is 14 to 18 lbs but from what I am seeing here, especially Homer the pug, they could top out 40 lbs!

Quote Originally Posted by GingerSnap View Post
    If I recall, Jackson was his final height and length around 9 months or so, but continued to fill out through the chest and neck a bit longer-- until about a year and a half or so? You're wise to keep them on the slim side for health reasons (although they're a stocky breed to begin with, of course). I went through a time of Jackson getting too heavy, then getting too skinny as an overcorrection. He's settled out nicely, but it's easy for them to get too heavy very easily because they love food so much!

Hi GingerSnap!

Yes, I try to keep them fit by walking 1 hour in the morning and afternoon! So they get at least 2 hours of walks everyday... I have been religious in walking them for the health benefits (them and myself).

However, they can't seem to get enough of Cesar dog food (finishes 12 a day - 6 each) and LOTS of mozarella cheese!

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

It really does vary alot with each dog. As long as they have a waist and you can feel ribs without sonar, they should be okay. Puppies need extra calories because of all the energy they burn.
    You may already know this--so ignore it if you do, but pugs are notorious for allergies to food. The big offenders are grains. Your little ones should still be getting puppy food in any case and getting three meals a day, but do watch out for foods with wheat, corn and soy especially. Virtually all the food recalls were because of gluten.
    I have had pugs with lactose intolerance and egg allergies as well.

levismomma is offline Village Admiral

All pugs vary in size and weight. It all depends. I think you are the 1st I have heard feeding Cesar dog food. Watch the cheese though, it is fattening and I would only give as a treat or reward.

Quote Originally Posted by levismomma View Post
    All pugs vary in size and weight. It all depends. I think you are the 1st I have heard feeding Cesar dog food. Watch the cheese though, it is fattening and I would only give as a treat or reward.
    Thanks! Just to clarify on their main staple food, it's a combination of Cesar and Hill Science dry food... More of like 50-50. The are crazy about the Cesar Porterhouse! A bit expensive though... about 85 cents per little packet and they finishes 12 of those a day. ;)

In re: to the cheese, I think my wife's feeding them too much... Imagine the 6-lb block being gone every 3 weeks - Seriously! Good thing they get loads of exercise. She's trying not to get hypnotized w/ them puggie eyes too often when it comes to cheese begging.

Not Afraid is offline Village Admiral

Thurston is only 7 month old (is it 7 already?!) and he's been at 16 pounds for about 6 weeks now. I actually love his size and sort of hope he stays this way. He's still "portable" at 16. One of the pugs I watch is 25 pounds and that isn't so portable any longer. (But, he's a cutie pie!)

PugSavers is offline Village Royalty

Generally they say at 4 months a pug weighs about 1/2 of what they will weigh when they are full grown. It is very easy to over-feed them which is makes it more difficult for them to breathe as well as is tough on their joints. There are caloric recommendations and I think if you search past posts you will see what those are (ViralMD is a huge wealth of knowledge on this matter). You will then need to check the caloric content of the food you are feeding. You want to make sure they are getting a well balanced diet.

The big dog show at the Cow Palace is coming up the last weekend of this month. I highly recommend you go and talk to various dog food vendors there...they will have a lot of information for you.
    Roxane
    Mama to Betty (now age 15)
    Forever Mama to my angel boy Bailey,my heart,my love
    2/14/95-2/14/10 and my other angel boy Tiny Tim,who taught me so much about loving a differently abled pug
    4/10/98-3/7/10

www.pugsavers.com
    "Rescuing Pugs & Pug Mixes in Northern California and Northern Nevada"

"You can lead a ho to culture but you can't make her think."

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet!"

Check out our Cafe Press store www.cafepress.com/pugsavers
    for Pug Items to benefit rescue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast