Do you crop a Pugs tail??? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you crop a Pugs tail???

Jess is offline None

No need to be so mean and patronising

She could well just be young and genuinely not sure after being given some very bad advice.

PV is getting very cynical of late....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

No cropping. Please.

And it really does sound as if your boyfriend's aunt is not somebody you should approach for advice about pugs.

There's plenty of folk here who will be happy to give you advice so please tell us more about you and your pug.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

GAPugLover is offline Village Senator

I agree with everyone here. There is no cropping of any kind with the Pug breed. They are suppose to have curly tails and nice button ears. Please do not crop any part of your Pug. The breed standard does not call for it and it would just not look good (appearance wise) if a Pug has any part of him or her cropped. If you would like to more information about the breed or just general information on Pugs ask any of the members here or Google search it. The only breeds I can think of that would, should, or could be cropped are Doberman Pinschers, Miniature Pinschers, Great Danes (except for the tail), Rottweilers (tail only), Schnauzers (standard, miniature, and giant), and German Pinschers.
    Last edited by GAPugLover; 08-22-2008 at 05:48 AM.
    June
    My Pug Angels:
    Samantha & Bridget
    "Pugs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole."
    Bridget (November 5th), Samantha (March 20th), and Mine (June 25th)

Cookie is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Luvbean25 View Post
    Perhaps you are talking about another breed. I smell a troll....
    My thought exactly.
    ~C~

Mandy
    7/10/92-6/27/09

Shikari23 is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    No need to be so mean and patronising

She could well just be young and genuinely not sure after being given some very bad advice.

PV is getting very cynical of late....

I have to agree... It worries me that on someone's first post, people are already throwing out the 'T' word. Not everyone is as knowledgable about pugs as we are. Can't we give Candy a chance here? It's possible that she just plain doesn't know much about the breed and is trying to learn more which should be encouraged, shouldn't it?

nanbhack is offline Village Admiral

Well... remember back in the day (over 100 years ago) they did crop the pugs ears because it made the wrinkles look more *intense* or so is what the books say... but we have Queen Victoria to thank for letting that practice DIE.

Thank you QUEEN VICKIE!!! I can't imagine what Aine would look like with no button ears!

olivia is offline Village VP

My MIL always gets pugs and boston terriers mixed up...maybe she is thinking of that breed...although, I'm not an expert on boston terriers...are they born with the short tail or is it cropped?

Part of the appeal of a pug is a curled tail. Its part of what makes them a pug.

Hope you got the information you needed, welcome to PV.
    Erica** mom to Olivia (pug), Piper Jean (pug), Jack (pug) and Kapili (pitbull).
    At the Rainbow Bridge, Chloe, my spunky rat terrier and Buddy, our loveable pitbull.

Brookles is offline Village Admiral

Honestly, why is cropping another breed's tail acceptable but not pugs? Not that I'm advocating tail cropping--I wouldn't crop no matter what the breed. And I get the point of it--breed standard and all that. But it's just something to think about. I suppose I'm probably preaching to the choir here.
    Brooke

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by Brookles View Post
    Honestly, why is cropping another breed's tail acceptable but not pugs? Not that I'm advocating tail cropping--I wouldn't crop no matter what the breed. And I get the point of it--breed standard and all that. But it's just something to think about. I suppose I'm probably preaching to the choir here.
    Cropping/docking is now forbidden in the UK and you cannot show a docked dog unless the docking has been done legally (which to my understanding is because the docking took place before the ban came into effect).

The proponents of docking say that in the breeds which are traditionally docked the tail is very prone to damage especially in a working dog, which is why the docking is done to puppies to save them pain and suffering later.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

LindaR/pugma is offline Village Governor

I have to agree about docking tails, I used to have 2 silky terriers whose tails weren't docked and their tails were curly and had beautiful long hair that hung over their backs. I do wish however that people would remove the dew claws. They don't get worn down and are so sharp and can get caught and ripped off.
    Linda

Owned by Zoe, Abby, Ally & Gracie and most recently Buddy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast