Hyper pug??? Marking Territory?! Help!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyper pug??? Marking Territory?! Help!!!

PugCultLovers is offline New to the Village

Default Hyper pug??? Marking Territory?! Help!!!

I wasn't quite sure which forum this should fall under but I need your help... BAD! As some of you know, in my quest to save a dog with Riddick's passing last weekend, I rescued an 18 mo old male, now named Tazmin. His name says some, but can't quite cover the extent of his hyper activity level. I am BLOWN AWAY. HELP?!?!

I have done my homework, have had a few pugs so far, and know that hyper pugs are far from the norm... what do we do? He doesn't know how to cuddle/snuggle, and won't ever stop running around. He goes ALL DAY LONG. I mean ALL DAY! Hence the name... (visualize the tazmanian devil in a cartoon speeding down the dirt road).

He was not neutered... so straight to the vet he went. I realize it takes up to 4 wk for the testosterone levels to deplete, so the vet even gave him an injection of female hormones to help the process move faster. Oh, and did I mention his SPASTIC activity is while on medications (pain killers and a sedative)??!! At this point he reminds me more of a Siberian Huskey than a pug! What do I do???

The same goes for "marking" his territory. I know that comes w/ the not having been neutered part... which I took care of. Now, what about his age? He is already 18 mo old. How impossible will it be for us to knock that off. We just replaced carpets last year due to previous "doggie damage." We definately can't afford that again. Not to mention the destruction becoming my couch & love seat. Thankfully the rest of the house has hard wood... but still. At this point I can't let him out of my sight for a second (literally).

AND... he can jump... I mean JUMP! Any size baby gate I have, he can hurdle. As a matter of fact, I have a sleigh bed with a 22" mattress, and he made it on that. "I" should have steps to get into that bed! This is a problem because I am trying to gate off parts of the house, especially due to the marking problem. Not to mention, w/ six dogs, sometimes they need a break from each other.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I am still new to all of this and I am also beside myself with a massive comprehensive exam for my master's degree that I have on Thursday (please pray for me - I need to be done with school), and a paper due on Wednesday.

Thanks for everything, all of your advice, support, welcomes, and FUTURE HELP
    Tina, mom to: Kendra, Jori, Kenzie, & Angel Aubrey (human kids), Ajia, Teague, & Angel Kaiser (German Shephards), Zoey, Tidus, Kimarhi, Tazmin, & Angel Riddick (Pugs); girlfriend to Justin (world's greatest stepdad & doggie daddy)

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Penguin Wrangler

If you've just had him neutered I realize you can't do this, but when he's healed up, exercise exercise exercise and maybe an obedience class. Wish I could be of more help, but this is the only advise I know of.

Christa, Mom to Toby & Kelsey

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

sassismom is offline Village Royalty

The ole 6 foot leash tied to you and him is probably best for keeping his marking down until you get him used to outside. As for jumping Meelah amazes me at her feats of hurdles maybe you can make him an obstacle course outside so he can get some of the energy out or walk him a little longer so he winds down some. He is probably so happy to have a wonderful new home he just doesn't know how to act yet.
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow
    Mom to Meelah, Angus and Sissy. My Sweet Sassi (1998 -2011)

Dieselsmom is offline Village Royalty

Well, as far as the hyper part goes, the best thing for that is exercise - lots of walks, running around in the yard playing, heck you may even want to check into doggy daycare for him - nothing tires a pug out more than 8 hours of play at daycare. I know a hyper pug can be trying - my dad's Ziggy is beyond hyper - he's 3 years old now and still hyper as ever, but making sure he gets lots of exercise does certainly help.

As for the marking, have you looked into using belly bands? They are basically "bands" of fabric that wrap around his belly to cover his wee-wee, so when he lifts his leg, he doesn't actually mark anything but the belly band. We use them for Diesel and they have saved a lot of our furniture!! There are several rescues that sell them to raise funds and I'm sure you can find them on ebay, too, if you're not sewing-machine inclined!!

As for the gates, if Taz is a jumper, you may have to do what a lot of people with jumpers/climbers have to do - stack your gates!!

Good luck and let us know how he's doing.
    Rachel - mom to Diesel, Makayla and Gracie Lou Freebush

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GingerSnap is offline Village Smart Cookie

For the busy-ness, obviously make sure he's getting tons of exercise. Some things are obvious: long walks, running and playing with other dogs or kids. But mental stimulation is really important too. Obedience classes can really drain a dog mentally which translates into physically. Once he has the basics down, he sounds like a natural for agility. More solitary mental stimulation (although it doesn't sound like it to us) would be things like a filled frozen Kong to chew on or a BusterCube kibble-dispenseing toy.

For the escape artist in him, have you tried this type of baby gate?
    http://www.target.com/gp/search/187-...bx_1_1&x=0&y=0
    It's almost 40" tall and because all the bars are vertical and metal, there's nothing for him to be able to climb on.

For the marking, I'd definitely recommend a belly band as the testosterone is still getting out of his system. Several of the rescues sell them-- I'm pretty sure that SEPRA and MAPR (midatlanticpugrescue.org) both do. Also, is it possible that it's not just marking, but also a potty training issue? If so, I'd definitely look at the stickied thread in the Training thread for ViralMD's famous words of wisdom.

You might want to consider a crate too-- that could help with both the potty issues and the escape artist tendencies.
    Ginger
    Mom to Jackson (fawn pug, age 7) and Sammy (black brindle pug/French bulldog, age 9ish or so)

PugCultLovers is offline New to the Village

Thank you so much for soo many good ideas so fast.

I will add that we do use the crate, primarily at night. I did look at the training tips (which are GREAT). I believe it is partially a training issue and partially a marking issue. I LOVE the idea of belly bands and will hunt for them first thing in the AM.

I can't imagine he's lacking in exercise. My German Shephard, Teague, sees to that! Regardless, he never stops, so it is a day of non-stop exercise. Unfortunately, this isn't good for his healing process post op (the week is a blurr, but I think it was Tuesday he had the surgery). So, that is obviously not helping. Can't I just drug him??? (being facisious, haha)

Well, I just "accidentally" discovered that he likes to fetch... can y'all believe that???!!! That should help him run some of this energy out!

I did check out that babygate at Target and it is AWESOME, but it doesn't say what the height is (only the width). If you have it Ginger, could you measure it's height excatly and let me know??? Thanks
    Last edited by PugCultLovers; 11-28-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    Tina, mom to: Kendra, Jori, Kenzie, & Angel Aubrey (human kids), Ajia, Teague, & Angel Kaiser (German Shephards), Zoey, Tidus, Kimarhi, Tazmin, & Angel Riddick (Pugs); girlfriend to Justin (world's greatest stepdad & doggie daddy)

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

We see TONS of hyper active pugs in the rescue. Especially when they are that young. Watch out with using the belly band if he still has stitches. the urine trapped against the incision for any length of time can give him a nasty urine burn.
    I leash markers to my waist to keep that activity to a minimum. Depending on where you got him and what he's been used to, it's likely as much habit as anything. But it is a habit that can be broken. I've broken markers who were WAY older than 18 months of the habit. Takes time, patience and consistency.

GingerSnap is offline Village Smart Cookie

Tina, I don't have that exact one-- I got mine several years ago, but it's basically the same style. On the web site, though, it said that it was 39.4 inches high.
    Ginger
    Mom to Jackson (fawn pug, age 7) and Sammy (black brindle pug/French bulldog, age 9ish or so)

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Training will tire him out much more than exercise. A little mental effort results in major exhaustion, I have found.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

rockypug is offline Village VP

Default belly bands

the belly bands are they to teach them not to mark or are they for just to save furniture etc...
    as rocky marks or is just lazy going outside in the cold lol...but i dont want him to wear belly bands for ever...do they just teach then when they mark in the house they get wet and they dont like it so they dont do it in the house???

from kaz
    kaz mum of taz and rocky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast