Life vests for dogs - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Life vests for dogs

  1. #21
    Ruebeau's Avatar
    Ruebeau is offline Village Admiral
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jag View Post
    there are some great life vests out there, but none really fit a pug, beleive you me I have tried... the ones that are the safest are the most cumbersome and the ones that are lighter I am not comfortable with......
    so where does that leave you?????????? get your pug some swimming lessons.. I know you are laughing but truly it is the best thing that you can do..... fill the bathtub up with water and put him/her in there and do it until they are comfotable in the water deeper than there knees... a lake shore is perfect for this,,,,we put smu in a life vest and then first got her to like the water then we would wade out with her a little bit and head head her toward shore. she is not the best swimmer yet but I feel that she will be able to hold her own for a few minutes until I can jump in and get her...
    I love that idea.

  2. #22
    GingerSnap's Avatar
    GingerSnap is offline Village Smart Cookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Williamsburg VA
    Posts
    10,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jag View Post
    there are some great life vests out there, but none really fit a pug, beleive you me I have tried...
    You don't like the fit of the Outward Hound one? I'm surprised-- they seem to fit my guys pretty well, and it looks good on Smu. I can't say they're all that crazy about them, but I've been happy with the fit and function.
    Ginger
    Mom to Jackson (fawn pug, age 7) and Sammy (black brindle pug/French bulldog, age 9ish or so)

  3. #23
    jag's Avatar
    jag
    jag is offline Village VP
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island BC Canada
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GingerSnap View Post
    You don't like the fit of the Outward Hound one? I'm surprised-- they seem to fit my guys pretty well, and it looks good on Smu. I can't say they're all that crazy about them, but I've been happy with the fit and function.
    I did not make myselve very clear What I meant is the Outward Hound vest would come under the catagory of cumbersome.dont get me wrong it is the greatest life vest there is and in bad weather we use it but.with living on the boat it is not practical to wear all day.... Smu has

    a hard time lying down in them and she could get overheated really fast.... I made a vest for Smu that is comfortable and easy for her to wear....



    I opened up the front of this harness and put some floatation material that came out of one of our life jackets,,,, although I would not use this in bad weather, or when in our dingy going ashore, but we find it perfect for everyday use onboard...
    Lee & Judy parents of Smu

  4. #24
    GingerSnap's Avatar
    GingerSnap is offline Village Smart Cookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Williamsburg VA
    Posts
    10,708

    Default

    That completely makes sense!
    Ginger
    Mom to Jackson (fawn pug, age 7) and Sammy (black brindle pug/French bulldog, age 9ish or so)

  5. #25
    Ruebeau's Avatar
    Ruebeau is offline Village Admiral
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jag View Post
    I did not make myselve very clear What I meant is the Outward Hound vest would come under the catagory of cumbersome.dont get me wrong it is the greatest life vest there is and in bad weather we use it but.with living on the boat it is not practical to wear all day.... Smu has

    a hard time lying down in them and she could get overheated really fast.... I made a vest for Smu that is comfortable and easy for her to wear....



    I opened up the front of this harness and put some floatation material that came out of one of our life jackets,,,, although I would not use this in bad weather, or when in our dingy going ashore, but we find it perfect for everyday use onboard...
    Jag, That is exactly what I mean. The homeward bound vest is exactly what I need when we are underway (or on the dingy) but I was looking for somthing soft and comfortable (just like the one you made) for everyday wear when we are docked. I can't sew....so.....that is out. Maybe you should start a life vest business! It gets really hot and humid here mid summer and I would be afraid she would get overheated with a stiff full coverage vest.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts