10 month old Pug still pooping in house and pooping up to 4 or 5 times a day
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By LilyFayre

Thread: 10 month old Pug still pooping in house and pooping up to 4 or 5 times a day

Humfy Bogart is offline New to the Village

Default10 month old Pug still pooping in house and pooping up to 4 or 5 times a day

Hi, my puppy has always pooped a lot but it doesn't seem to be slowing down much, and with him sneaking poops on the carpet downstairs it's hard to toilet train him not knowing if he's going to have to go again and when. He gets really good dry grain free food his whole life. Now I'm trying to introduce a food with grain made by FROMM Family to see if anything changes. Anyone else have a puppy who poops so much? I've tried feeding him less and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Sometimes there are days where it's only twice a day and this is such a relief except I'm still taking him outside all the time to see if he has to go and watching him like a hawk so that he doesn't disappear and sneak a poop.

Thanks,

Christine and Humphrey
    Last edited by Humfy Bogart; 04-16-2017 at 03:23 PM.

LilyFayre is offline Village Admiral

Hi!

Well from personal experience grain free food produces a smaller and firmer stool than kibble that isn't grain free. Mine has a complete wetfood diet and she only has a small firm stool, although you'll get an even smaller and firmer stool from feeding raw, but you need to fully consider the pros and cons and how they might effect you and your dog before embarking on that one.

It's also about routine. Mine has regular getting up, bedtime and feedtimes. Accordingly she goes to the toilet at fairly regular times - usually when she first gets up, after breakfast and again after supper, and occasionally just before bed. Always has seemed odd to me that when she was younger that whilst she could hold on for a wee she couldn't for a poo. I did use to find the odd one beside the toilet in the bathroom, but never had the heart to tell her off for that since she obviously thought it was the right place to go lol!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Elvis like this.

Humfy Bogart is offline New to the Village

Thanks Lilyfayre,

The poops can be small but frequent. Sometimes as you describe, once in the morning then fed around 9 am, and then afterwards and fed again between 4 and 5 and then another. And quite frequently, more in between.
    I don't want to go the raw diet route yet.
    Funny yours went by the toilet...I guess they think they really are human.
    I wonder if mine is going downstairs on the carpet because he knows the cats go inside, in their litter box, which is cleaned daily. And he tries to get at to eat...so it's babygated. But I've heard sometimes this can cause problems.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

LilyFayre is offline Village Admiral

Oh yes forgot to mention that she has been known to avail herself of the newspaper on the floor beside the cat litter box in the utility room on cold, wet winter evenings. But who can blame her - I wouldn't want to go outside to the toilet in weather conditions like that either lol!

Jenb is offline Village Mayor

Have you had a stool sample done at the vet lately? Sounds a lot like my sisters 5 month old puppy who had whip worms. He would have small but frequent poops, no diahrea or weight loss and no other symtoms. He was dewormed twice previously with safeguard and had a stool sample done 2 months ago that came back negative, but sometimes it takes 3 rounds of dewormer kill all the eggs and takes more than one stool sample for the vet to find eggs.Might be worth having a stool sample done and dewormerd again just incase.

+ Reply to Thread