+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bugoneal
  • 1 Post By LilyFayre

Thread: New Pug Sleep habits

Penny Pugs Mom is offline New to the Village

DefaultNew Pug Sleep habits

Hi everyone,

I have a new baby girl, she's been with us for 4 days now and she's 8 weeks old. She's the sweetest little girl, eating well, using the pee pads to relieve herself, we are SO in love!

This leads me to my question- sleeping! She wants to sleep on my lap or tucked next to one of us always. I have no problem with this but we do have to gate her in the kitchen when we leave and I can't keep sleeping on the mattress on the floor. She has a bed and will sleep in it sometimes but she really just wants to be as close to us as possible. My question is- how would you experienced owners handle this? Ultimately as she gets bigger and can jump up onto our bed or my daughters beds she will be welcome to sleep with any of us. Problem is she's tiny and it's not safe for her to be up there as she can't get up or down on her own yet.

Help- how do I give her the security and closeness she needs and still keep my sanity lol?

Not sure how to post a picture but when I figure it out I will post one :)

Thank you!

Penny Pugs Mom is offline New to the Village

[IMG]image1.JPG[/IMG]

Hoping this works- a photo of baby Penny

WalterH is offline Village Mayor

This is what we used a grate for, we knew Walter would be on the bed as he got older when he was a pup we didn't want to squeesh him in bed.

He slept in a grate with the door shut which was next to our bed for a few months, also helped with grate training as we knew there might be a time when he has to be in a grate like at the vets or something. When he was around 8 months we removed the door from the grate and he continued to sleep in there, we had a bed and blankets and had it covered, think he felt really safe in there like he was his own little space.

For the first few weeks I leave one my tops in there with him which had my smell on. Thankfully we had no bother at all with him but I would certainly say grate next to the bed :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Bugoneal is offline Village Royalty

Maybe also using a soft stuffed animal will help. For us - when we had wee little puppy we just put their bed on our bed at the top of the bed and she slept there when we slept. As they got larger we changed out the bed - maybe once - then she just slept there. Worked well when potty training too. We also used stairs or a ramp up to our bed as we didn't want her hurt with the jumping thing. We spoiled right away!!
    WalterH likes this.
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Viszula Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart dogs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug.

WalterH is offline Village Mayor

We are in the process of getting stairs for Walter to get on the bed and sofa etc :)

Mom to Lucy is offline Village Admiral

We tried to teach Lucy to sleep on her own, but she would have none of it.
    She slept in between us from the time she was about 9-10 weeks old. Once she settled in, she pretty much stayed put. But, if she needed to go potty, we would feel her squirming and take her outside.
    Christine
    Owned by Lucy and Bugsy the pugs, mom to one human child, wife to a wonderful hubby, and entertained by a tank full of fishies.

LilyFayre is offline Village Admiral

Xanthe just slept in a cat carrier beside my pillow on my bed until she was big enough to safely get up and down off the bed. It did mean for the first week or so that she woke me when she needed me to take her out for a bathroom trip in the early hours of the morning, but she was soon sleeping through the night
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

+ Reply to Thread