My 9 week old Pug bites...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 9 week old Pug bites...

cubbiechris is offline Village Mayor

Default My 9 week old Pug bites...

How do you get him to stop it. I've said "No" real loud to startle him and he doesn't even miss a beat. Is he just too young to know any better?

Pugdawg1 is offline Village Baker

I tend to "yipe" or make a loud sound, retract my hand, put it in a fist, whatever so he/she can't bite, and offer something to chew on, and then praise him/her when they show an interest in what I offered. Puppies nip and bite and chew. Part of the fun of puppyhood. LOL
    Marnie & Winston
    Always and forever missing her Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugdawg1
    I tend to "yipe" or make a loud sound, retract my hand, put it in a fist, whatever so he/she can't bite, and offer something to chew on, and then praise him/her when they show an interest in what I offered. Puppies nip and bite and chew. Part of the fun of puppyhood. LOL
    I've been doing what you said and I figured with time he'll stop. He's just a baby still. I just read that the first 6 month of training is crucial on the pugvillage main site.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

I'm having the SAME problem. My puppy is now 11 weeks old and I can't get him to stop biting for the LIFE OF ME! I've tried so many different things and he still prefers to bite hands and toes instead of his chew toys. I've even tried getting him some frozen chew toys and he likes my hands and feet better.

I was at Pet Smart and I was listening to a training class going on. They mentioned NOT to say "NO" when he bites but rather to say "OUCH". Yea, that doesnt work for me either.

I'm hoping it's just the age because they are teething....ALL of his teeth are still not out. Some are trying to make their way out!

ViralMD is offline None

You need to teach your dog 'bite inhibition.' This is something its littermates and mother teach it, but when it's removed from its siblings too early (like 8 weeks) there's no opportunity.

The way it works is this: You're playing with your puppy in a SAFE, puppyproof area where he/she can be left safely alone. He clamps down, you YELP, as if it's REALLY hurting, then GET UP AND LEAVE. Only for a minute. He'll quickly learn that when he bites too hard the game is over and he loses his most valuable resource: YOU.

I'm not a big fan of 'no.' Cyril doesn't even know the word. It tends be SCREAMED at dogs and either loses its effect or terrifies them. Cyril learned 'leave it' as a puppy (which is easy to teach) and 'drop it.' Both are better than 'NO.'
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno5106
    I'm having the SAME problem. My puppy is now 11 weeks old and I can't get him to stop biting for the LIFE OF ME! I've tried so many different things and he still prefers to bite hands and toes instead of his chew toys. I've even tried getting him some frozen chew toys and he likes my hands and feet better.

I was at Pet Smart and I was listening to a training class going on. They mentioned NOT to say "NO" when he bites but rather to say "OUCH". Yea, that doesnt work for me either.

I'm hoping it's just the age because they are teething....ALL of his teeth are still not out. Some are trying to make their way out!
    We are taking our puppy to obedience puppy school and see what happens. His teeth hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by viralmd
    You need to teach your dog 'bite inhibition.' This is something its littermates and mother teach it, but when it's removed from its siblings too early (like 8 weeks) there's no opportunity.

The way it works is this: You're playing with your puppy in a SAFE, puppyproof area where he/she can be left safely alone. He clamps down, you YELP, as if it's REALLY hurting, then GET UP AND LEAVE. Only for a minute. He'll quickly learn that when he bites too hard the game is over and he loses his most valuable resource: YOU.

I'm not a big fan of 'no.' Cyril doesn't even know the word. It tends be SCREAMED at dogs and either loses its effect or terrifies them. Cyril learned 'leave it' as a puppy (which is easy to teach) and 'drop it.' Both are better than 'NO.'
    Hmmm...Good tip and I'll try that. He hates being by himself and follows us everywhere we go. So that may work...Thanks!

BTW - The good news is Create Training worked very easy. He likes to go inside of it and take naps. So that's the good news. He only cried the first night. Since then he's been fine with the create.

We were planning on doing the same thing over at Pet Smart. I originally wanted him to go starting August 1st but don't think he will have ALL of his shots by then so I'm going to wait until he has his shots before I have him play with other dogs.

Your right, those teeth are like NEEDLES!!!

Imon is offline Village Turtle Lady

I used "No Bite" in a sharp, but not loud, tone of voice, and my index finger raised in front of Otto's face. He'd usually stop biting and focus on my finger, when he'd get a cuddle and a "good dog".

Now, when he sees the raised index finger, he'll sit and look at me, even if I don't say anything to him.

But puppies do bite. It's part of being a puppy. You want to correct the behavior without intimidating the dog. If he were still with his mother and littermates, they'd teach him not to bite by biting back, or pinning him down or yelping. I've seen females look ferocious when teaching manners to a pup, but they don't really hurt them.
    Otto's mom (also known as Linda)

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

Default couple suggestions

squirt him with a water bottle when he bites

or

get one of those plastic lemons with the lemon juice and when he bites, squirt it in his mouth.....try to get a direct hit on the tongue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast