Are pugs a smart breed?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are pugs a smart breed?

careth222 is offline Village Puppy

Default Are pugs a smart breed?

So I was wondering. Yoda seems to be a very smart little dog, and I know I'm a bit biased, but other dog owner friends and family of mine has said the same thing!! My queshtion is, I have heard that pugs are very smart but I have also heard contrary. So in general, would you experienced pug owners say that they are a smart breed? Thanks
    Mama to Yoda (Pug) and Ethan (rugrat)

Deziree is offline Village Senator

I don't know if you can classify the whole breed smart but I know there are some VERY smart dogs and in reality i think all dogs are under-rated.

I mean to wrap a human around their paw and make us give in to almost anything with a simple head tilt... That to me is smart.
    Dez owned by Kiwi born October 15/06

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
    And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made. -M. Acklam

The Pugdads is offline Village Royalty

And what I think appears to be lack of training is really stubborness! They can certainly be trained to do all kinds of things, they just sometimes don't feel like it! I think they're pretty smart critters!
    Pugdad Michael, co-Pugdad of Penny, Molly and SugarRay!!! (And Duke of San Francisco! Thanks, Queen Puggles!)

Missing:
    • Miss Phoebe (our original Puggie who got us all goofy over Pugs!),
    • Bruno, Cassie, and PeeWee (the amazing PugFamily!), and
    • Sweet Ziggy (who was with us for too short a time)
    www.pugdads.com

Abby's Mom is offline Village Admiral

I beleive they are smart, but very stubborn.
    Chris
    Abby aka da purity
    Zoie
    Mad Max
    DH Rick
    And Cool Cats Sydney and Sabre

Visit me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...23837&ref=name

A I hope if dogs ever take over the world and they choose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are little dogs with some good ideas.
    ~Marc-Christophe

Franklin is smart in all the ways I wish he wasn't

such as:

knocking over the baby gate when I'm not home so he can roam freely

barking at ABSOLUTELY nothing so I have to get up off the couch to see what is *NOT* going on

Sitting for everyone who walks in the door thinking that each time he's getting a treat for being *good*

making mommy look like a complete MORON to her friends when she says *Franklin learned a new trick, watch this!!*
    Destanie and 'Franklin Eugene'

Franklin- http://www.dogster.com/?261230

Destanie- www.myspace.com/destanie

ViralMD is offline None

I truly do NOT believe that dogs are stubborn. I think that WE might thing we're communicating clearly with the dog, but, in truth, we're not. Cyril, who earned his CGC title at nine months, can pick up new behaviors in a matter of an hour or two or within minutes (depending on the behavior). It also depends on how you train.

Before I got Cyril I'd never had a dog of my own. Of course, growing up we had dogs, but my life was too hectic until a few years ago to have my own dog. While I was waiting the eight months for Cyril to be born (the breeder knew she'd be having a litter that summer) I read about training and happened upon clicker training. The BEST thing that ever happened to us. Cyril loved it, learned at lightning speed and, honestly, has never had a moment of stubbornness. I also learned that dogs learn hand signals MUCH better than vocal cues and used hand signals first, then changed to the verbal cue to get a behavior.

Again, I think lack of clarity in communication is something humans interpret as stubbornness.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

careth222 is offline Village Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Destanie101 View Post
    Franklin is smart in all the ways I wish he wasn't

such as:

knocking over the baby gate when I'm not home so he can roam freely

barking at ABSOLUTELY nothing so I have to get up off the couch to see what is *NOT* going on

Sitting for everyone who walks in the door thinking that each time he's getting a treat for being *good*

making mommy look like a complete MORON to her friends when she says *Franklin learned a new trick, watch this!!*
    So I have been so proud of Yoda. I throw him his favorite toy "mr. wormy" he runs and gets it and takes it back to me. I think thats pretty good for a baby to play fetch!!! I was so proud to show everyone at work the next day after even practicing this morning. Well, he went and got him, but ran the other way and started chewing on him. Thanks alot Yoda!
    Mama to Yoda (Pug) and Ethan (rugrat)

Deziree is offline Village Senator

Quote Originally Posted by careth222 View Post
    So I have been so proud of Yoda. I throw him his favorite toy "mr. wormy" he runs and gets it and takes it back to me. I think thats pretty good for a baby to play fetch!!! I was so proud to show everyone at work the next day after even practicing this morning. Well, he went and got him, but ran the other way and started chewing on him. Thanks alot Yoda!
    I have that problem... Kiwi will play fetch a bit with me and dad but anyone around she just looks at me like "can't one of you get it"

I think they are smart and even the ones we might label "stupid" or a few short of a full load are smart in other ways.
    Dez owned by Kiwi born October 15/06

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
    And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made. -M. Acklam

Tinygiant is offline Village Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by viralmd View Post
    I also learned that dogs learn hand signals MUCH better than vocal cues and used hand signals first, then changed to the verbal cue to get a behavior.

Again, I think lack of clarity in communication is something humans interpret as stubbornness.
    This I agree with. Before you have a dog most people think they are hard to train but it's amazing with a good book and some nice treats what you can get your dog doing, I think it took me about 10 minutes to teach pixel to sit, now he sits, lays down, gives his paw when you say 'hi five', I cant wait to teach him more stuff that makes everyone go 'Awwwww'
    www.armyoftrolls.co.uk

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

they're only as smart as their owner.....
    if no one spends time teaching them/working with them, how smart can they be? Just like kids.....if you don't teach them to read or write, how smart can they be?

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast