If your pug won't Pee, when do you call it quits...
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If your pug won't Pee, when do you call it quits...

Rosco34 is offline Village Royalty

Default If your pug won't Pee, when do you call it quits...

Rosco has been very stubborn lately at his 10:30/11pm walk. He will not do his last pee of the day. He went at 6:30pm before that. I tried the treat trick and he won't walk and just stares at me with saliva coming out of his mouth. He had me out there for 1/2 hour, then my husband out there for 15 minutes and then I went back out and he finally went. Hubby told me to just put him in his crate and he will hold it, but I'm a worrier and think that 13 hours is just way too long for him to hold it, plus I wouldn't sleep well worrying about him.
    Rosco is NOT a big water drinker. He'll take a few sips here and there but mostly drinks alot after I give him his bully stick. so I give it to him from 7-8pm so that hell drink early enough and have to go by 11....
    plus, he only pees once on every walk. hell lift his leg and nothing comes out most of the time or he'll squat. RARELY will he ever pee twice.

any thoughts, recommendations.

Thanks.

PuddyLove is offline Village Puppy

My suggestion is to take him out about 30 mins. before. (so you don't have to be up extra late). If he doesn't do anything, take him inside for 30 mins. and take him back out. If he still won't do anything, maybe he really doesn't need to go, and will have to learn the hard way that he better go while he can.

I've never used treats except when Betty was really young. I don't think she got the whole "go outside, get a treat thing". I just get really excited when she would go, and I'd crouch down on the ground (her level) and praise her. She gets really excited. She'll even look at you while she's doing her business to see if you are going to respond, like she expects it. I also said "go pee" or "go poop" every time. Now, if they are pissin' around the yard, not pissin', all I have to do is look them in the eyes and say "go pee!" and they will.

I also just pretend the neighbors can't hear me...it's easier that way
    Jess, the Puds and the Bets

lashwish is offline Village Admiral

Do you just take him to a spot outside or do you walk him?

When Oscar won't go, I walk him up the street a little, then he usually finds an acceptable bush to pee on :)

13 hrs does seem like a long time, but he would probably be fine. If he doesnt have any accidents anymore, he'd probably let you know he had to go in middle of night if need be, not that its ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by lashwish
    Do you just take him to a spot outside or do you walk him?

When Oscar won't go, I walk him up the street a little, then he usually finds an acceptable bush to pee on :)

13 hrs does seem like a long time, but he would probably be fine. If he doesnt have any accidents anymore, he'd probably let you know he had to go in middle of night if need be, not that its ideal.
    I walk him in our complex on "doggie island"...it a fairly large area of grass with tons of trees bushes and even some poles.....the 1pm and 11pm walks are quickies and his 7am and 6pm walks are around the block about 1/2 mile each.....so thats what i finally did last night was walk him up by the highschool and as soon as he hit the grass he went...unbelievable....

as far as letting me know if he has to go in the middle of the night, that what worries me because he sleeps in his crate in the kitchen. We are on the other side of the apartment with our airconditioner on, I'll never hear him.

lashwish is offline Village Admiral

Sometimes they are such little buggers.

Ya, I see what you mean about not hearing him at nite, if he's far away. I'd be right there with ya & my bf would be acting like your husband, saying he'll be fine, he doesnt need to go. Thats his answer everytime I ask him to take him out at nite.

Not sure what you can do in that case.

ViralMD is offline None

Do you give him a great treat for going potty? It seems to work. And you can get them to pee on command that way. I know my life is easier since 'go potty' worked its magic on Cyril.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

Quote Originally Posted by viralmd
    Do you give him a great treat for going potty? It seems to work. And you can get them to pee on command that way. I know my life is easier since 'go potty' worked its magic on Cyril.
    at the 1pm walk he gets a biscuit when he comes inside after doing pee pee and goes pretty quickly then. Since i was havinga hard time at the last time out, we have been taking a treat out and holding in my hand and going outside and telling him to "go pee pee" but he just stares at my hand and won't walk, I practically drag him and he salivates all over the place for the treat.

ViralMD is offline None

The trick is to get him to pee and give a GREAT treat after that. NOT a biscuit - I mean REALLY great, like cheese or chicken or steak. A trainer her in NYC taught me this one and it really works. What you're doing is essentially capturing the behavior. So when he lifts his leg and something comes out, you make a HUGE fuss and give him a major treat. You might want to make a real celebration out of it with multiple treats. I had to teach Cyril to pee on command because he gets urinary tract infections and I needed to make sure he emptied his bladder. He gets a piece of kibble for lifting his leg (but nothing comes out) to a major piece of poached chicken breast, broken into several pieces for a productive leg lift. He's about 85% productive now, while before I was lucky if it happened 10% of the time...
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

+ Reply to Thread