Obsessive Humping - How do we stop it?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Obsessive Humping - How do we stop it?

OllieButton is offline Village Puppy

Default Obsessive Humping - How do we stop it?

Greeting all!

Our three month old male Ollie has, overnight, become an obsessive humper. He doesn't hump my wife's leg, just mine (though he started the behavior mildly with my father at his place). And he doesn't do it all the time but when he does get it into his head it's almost impossible to deter him.

I've checked out other posts regarding how to train this behavior out of him, and I've seen 1) Ignore 2) Ignore and leave the area briefly and 3) Spray bottle.

The behavior has come on fast and furious and I'd really like to put a stop to it. And if I try to take the option away from him, for example sit with my feet off the floor, I feel he directs 'bad' energy towards chewing and clawing things he probably knows he shouldn't.

I'm not averse to the spray bottle but isn't spraying their faces and getting excessive moisture into his folds problematic? Should I spray his body?

I'd really appreciate any help,

Best,

Ollie's Dad

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

It's natural behavor for males and females. I would deal with it by giving a big soft toy and let him get on with it.

If you want to try to stop it, I would try to redirect his attention to a chewy or use the water bottle to spray him. I've yet to hear of a pug having wrinkle problems through spraying.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

I have used the spray bottle for this.

If you direct them to a toy...they'll hump that.....They can get infections and it can be embarrassing!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

My pugs don't hump us, they hump each other. We have 5 males and 1 female, all altered. NO ONE humps the female, 'cause she will put them in their place if they so much as sniff her. They seem to pick on one or two of the more submissive males....poor Kobe gets to the point sometimes that he will back up into a corner and sit down to keep them off of him.

We have tried spraying, kenneling, scolding, re-directing...but nothing works.

Take care,
    Lisa

OllieButton is offline Village Puppy

Thanks all for the replies. I tried leaving him after he started and when I eventually went back he seemed very contrite, so let's see if that does the trick. Otherwise I might try the spray bottle. I'd go for big soft toy (who am I to thwart nature?) but he's in such a chewy, bite-y phase right now that I'm afraid it won't last long. I'll keep you posted and thanks again,

OD

+ Reply to Thread