My darling and beloved 10 year old Pug, Howard, has been having seizures. I took him to the vet and was told that several tests will need to be run, but she was confident it was a brain tumor. Has anyone had any experience with this issue with their Pug? If so, what did you do?
I would certainly ask for a second evaluation from a second vet. Many pugs on this board have controlled seizures via medication. Many prayers for a good resolution.
Sending good thoughts for your baby.
Susan, mom to Scruffy, Bo and Maggie Mae
Honoring Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper
I have one with similar issues about the same age. At her age, rather than subject her to expensive and traumatic tests that would require anesthesia, we have decided to treat the symptoms (anti-seizure meds) and keep her comfortable for as long as she has. If she gets worse we will consider adding steroids to the anti-seizure drugs.
I would not subject a dog of that age to extensive tests and surgery or chemo/radiation. I would love the hell out of them and make them comfortable until they let you know they are ready to go. It won't do you or Howard any good to know if it's epilepsy or a tumor at this point...
In a gentle way, you can shake the world.
- Mohandas Gandhi
I agree with Lisa 100%!!!!
Seeing your boy doing well on medication and enjoying every day that he's with you!
Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee
For what it's worth. I came home one day and found my Prissy Pug walking in circles. The 24-hour vet clinic had me in tears, saying it was a brain tumor, yaddda yadda yadda. I took her to our own vet the next day, and he said she had suffered a TIA (minor stroke) and that BRAIN TUMORS ARE QUITE UNCOMMON IN PUGS. A steroid shot and a little time, and Prissy was fine.
Please get another opinion.
Mom to Jabaar Jefferson Pug and Snafu DeLaRue, Dylan Thomcat and Millicent the Magnificent, the Siamese cats, (and Edgar Allen Pug, Priscilla Ann Pug, Kewpie Doll Boudreaux, Moe Jackson Pug, RooBen Lancaster Pug and Anya Pavlina Pug waiting for me at the Bridge)
I think it's wrong to say not to subject your Pug to this test and that test - this is only something that you can decide with the strong relationship you have with you little guy and how he is otherwise. Sometimes knowing what is going on can be the best way to treat what is happening. Many years ago my 10 year old Pug had started to have seizures and a vet at the university vet school said she knew in her "heart of hearts" that it was a brain tumour and to keep her comfortable for as long as possible before the inevitable. Like you, I didn't want to believe it so through the recommendations of other dog people I took her to a vet who immediately ordered an MRI. Through this she was found to have hydracephallus and could be treated. Much better to know that and deal with it than wondering what was around the corner.
I guess it also depends on how deep your pockets are. I am one of those people who would go to the ends of the earth for my dogs, especially if there was a chance the treatment could work. I have had an 12 y.o. Pug go through surgery and then on chemo, who then lived for many more years. He wouldn't have without the chemo. He was otherwise in excellent health and these decisions were made with extensive consultations with specialist surgeons and veterinary oncologists.
I wish you and Howard all the best and my advice would be to get a second opinion and be as informed as you possibly can before YOU decide the right course of action.
These decisions are never easy with our babies! Whatever you decide to do for Howard you & he will be in my thoughts!
Best wishes for Howard and yourself.
Pug Mom to Eddie and Roxie
and Zoey at the bridge (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015)
Great news! Howard has been accepted into a clinical trail at Purdue University and I will be able to get him an MRI and more through exam for free! I take him to the Purdue small animal hospital on Monday! I will keep you all informed. Thank you for taking the time to comment and think about Howard and me!